Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gunstore owner told me that the Black Warrior Muzzlebrake is illegal here in California because of the elongated holes at the end. I couldn't believe it. He said that the long holes make it a flashhider. I've seen it called a muzzlebrake/flashhider combo before , but I thought it was legal to own. I checked the state laws for California and it only says "flashhider" is illegal, not muzzlebrake or muzzlebrake/flashhider combo. Does anybody have any info about this? I sure hope it isn't illegal here in Communist California. I wanna move to Arizona!

:usa:

:ar15:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bill S,
Just my opinion, and I hope others will help out here. But if it is termed, "muzzle break" in any literature or sales receipts you have, I would think that it is legal.
However, if it is called a "Flashhider", then you have a large problem. I'd be very careful going out in public with that until I had made absolutely sure I was correct.
Strange how something called a flashider that really doesn't hide anything can be called "dangerous" by some "uneducated."
Best of luck! :)
Spud:usa:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got mine from Midway for $12.50. It is not a flashhider, and is not sold as a flash hider. It is sold as a double muzzle break. I live in California. They sent it to me, and didn't say anything to me when I purchased it. The reciept says muzzle break, and both reciept and the package it came in make no declaration of it being a flash hider in any way. I would shoot my mini in front of any ranger or law enforcement officer with no anxiety. If they want to challenge the legality of my BW double MUZZLE BREAK, then they will be dealing with my lawyers. However, LEO's around my area are good people, I don't think I would ever be harrassed over something so insignificant. Real Americans don't sweat the small stuff:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is an excerpt from the NRA members council in Kalifornia regarding their talks with the department of justice regarding SB- 23 which banned flash suppressors:

"BATF accepted definitions of "Flash Suppressor", "Muzzle Brake", and "Compensator" will be accepted and used by California DOJ regarding SB-23. Muzzle brakes and compensators will have to be "BATF approved" to be allowed without registration. "

The DOJ recognizes a muzzle break only after it has been submitted, tested, and licensed through the BATF. Several manufacturers go throught this expense but most don't. The ones that do will advertise their muzzle breaks as 'BATF approved'.

I like the BW but it would never pass the BATF inspection. It does not restrict the gas after it leaves the bore (the outside opening is only slightly larger than the bore on a muzzle break), one of the main points they look for. A flash suppressor opens up, which is what the BW does. Look up some of the legal muzzle breaks and compare their designs to the BW - not even close.

The police will probably never storm your house looking for your flash suppressor. But if there is any reason that they do come to your house, see the 'flash suppressor' and decide to prosecute you, realize that your recipt may not protect you. And if you lose, the penalty is a felony on your record.

It's up to you as an individual to decide if this is worth it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would rather do what I had to do to be legal, and out of their so-called justice system. I do not like the notion of them controling me or my firearms in the manner they have elected to folllow, infringing on the rights of the citizens that elected them there.
Spud :usa:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm in CA and have been wondering about this one for a while. you can see my muzzle break in the picture section. All I can say is, the same supplier that shipped me this, would never ship me a 20 round clip, bayonet lug etc etc cause' I live in the state of Feinstein and Davis. So I have to think that if he's not gonna get in trouble neither should I. Secondly, I've had more than one Border Patrol agent stop by my deserted desert range and they checked out my mini cause they like it, and never mentioned once the thing on the end of the barrel. I have a standard stock (Choate) which may help. If you use an "extended" muzzle break with a pistol grip stock, you may get a different response from our friendly friends in blue (or green in my case). I agree with the responses here - better safe than sorry - but of all the things you could have for your mini, it seems to me that the thing on the end of the barrel is somewhat benign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts