Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wishfully thinking but does anyone know if these can be found anywhere?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
477 Posts
Aren't they looking to go to Gen III?

Problems have still occurred with Gen IIs and 500 series Minis.

I'm no machinist by any stretch of the imagination, but since there's a majority opinion Tapcos are generally GTG, and the mag's dimensions are fairly consistent, the only remaining variable is receiver dimensions.

Realizing Ruger and most manufacturers of repeating firearms were ramping up production over the last few years, it's likely more than a few guns have hit the shelves at the upper and lower limits of parts tolerances.
Those tolerances allow for the addition of an outside part (say a magazine) made to a very narrow specification. Ruger knows what those dimensions are, but aren't making those numbers known.
I would guess Tapco reverse engineered their magazine, and used several receivers to test fit.
Could be Tapco is updating the molds based on additional samples from the 500 series to address the issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gen 2 has worked flawlessly in my 581. First I'm hearing of Gen 3's. Given the political climate I doubt we'll see a Gen 3 unless it's a 10 rounder.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had problems with the Gen IIs in my 582 Tactical. They're too large for the magwell. They work okay - tho still a little tight - with my 185-series.

Was told by Tapco back in September that they were working on a replacement (i.e., "Gen III") but, as you mentioned, that may not happen now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tapco was just purchased by Remington. Not sure how that will affect their future production.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had 2 on back order from midwayusa since mid December. Status says they'll be available January 8, but they aren't taking back orders anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wish mine worked better in my guns as I really like them. They are definitely high quality and look great. I hope they can/will produce some Gen IIIs before any legislation gets in the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts