Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't seen anything about mating an ultimak with the strikeforce, so I thought I'd try to lend a hand if anyone else is interested in doing so. (I have a 183 series mini-14)

The Strikeforce stock comes with a (removeable) polymer rail section on top of the supplied handguard, however: 1) id like to be able to go back to my wood stock whenever I want without losing zero on my scout mounted reflex sight. Easy to do with the Ultimak since it secures directly to the barrel and gas block. The Strikeforce handguard only secures to the stock, meaning when changing stocks, optic mounts must be changed. and 2) I don't have much faith in my mini's accuracy yet, definately not enough to allow another variable like a polymer rail on a composite handguard only held down with three screws through plastic make it worse. So I decided to keep my old ultimak I was using with the wood stock and make it work with the Strikeforce.

upon doing some research, the folks at ATI told me it should work fine, Well needless to say it didn't. Theres a lip on the stock that helps to retain the handguard. This lip interferes with the bottom of the Ultimak. After a few minutes with a sanding drum on the dremmel, it looked like this:

I'm not sure what the stock is made of exactly, but it melts fairly quickly during grinding, so it's best not to stay in one spot too long or you will end up with bumps like mine. Luckily I took off just a little, so it cleaned up well with a wide file.

All said and done, it's a tight fit. The more lip you leave, the more plastic must be deformed by force to seat the upper barrell and reciever assembly. I think this may have some good effects on accuracy, like bedding the reciever, the rifle is forced into the stock, thereby forcing the stock to conform around the parts in contact before being seated all the way, eliminating more empty space. time will tell if this is true.

Hope this helps if you are considering this option. Personally, I love it! If you like scout monted optics, or they're your only option (like me) then the Ultimak is definately the way to go. This weapons platform is only made better by the ATI stock. hell of a weapon if you ask me.

By the way, this also frees up the polymer rail for the hanguard to be used as a 7" bottom rail on the stock. be sure to check out my other post for details on that process.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Looks good. I would try the ATI stock if you could change out the pistol grip, I just cant warm up to the big ass goofy finger grooved one, and If there was a non-folding version that wasnt just pinned open for blue states.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looks good. I would try the ATI stock if you could change out the pistol grip, I just cant warm up to the big ass goofy finger grooved one, and If there was a non-folding version that wasnt just pinned open for blue states.
That is why I never have really looked too hard at the ATI stock. If the made a true non-folding stock with adjustable butt stock. I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That is why I never have really looked too hard at the ATI stock. If the made a true non-folding stock with adjustable butt stock. I'd be very interested.
Right, something along the lines of the VLTOR M1A stock...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wanting to put the Strikeforce ATI stock on my mini target mod.
Has anyone done this?
ATI said it would not work because of the bull barrel but looks to me the mini 30 has about the same barrel size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i would like to see ultimak or someone else come up with a full rail to make a mini a flat top...from rear sight mount to gas block.

with the standard strikeforce stock, the factory iron sights are worthless. having a full railed flat top, you can have optics with some BUIS system on there.

·
†3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
i would like to see ultimak or someone else come up with a full rail to make a mini a flat top...from rear sight mount to gas block.

with the standard strikeforce stock, the factory iron sights are worthless. having a full railed flat top, you can have optics with some BUIS system on there.
I like my factory irons just fine with my strikeforce. I took my 3-9 off just so I could use them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 581 mini 30 ultimak + ati stock.
Stars: did you have trouble getting the receiver to bed properly in the stock or any clearance issues with the stock and rail like I did? I could get mine in without modification but it was very tough to do so and the stock was obviously stressed. Looks great btw!

·
†3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
Stars: did you have trouble getting the receiver to bed properly in the stock or any clearance issues with the stock and rail like I did? I could get mine in without modification but it was very tough to do so and the stock was obviously stressed. Looks great btw!
All I did was file out the magwell to fit the mini 30 mags. oh yes lip on the top of the stock i filed that off all the way around. you wont be able to fit your origional handguard on properly (ati) with that tab filed off but you can stills crew it down.

I actually had to file it down to fit the choate handguard properly but i upgraded tot he rail neways.

My only problem with that is the rail over the receiver may cause stove piping as it does in the m1a.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts