Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the question posted about ATI stocks and failure to cycle with mini 14. But the answer always turns away from the stock and goes toward Ammo, mag or gas port. I have a new mini 14 that shoots great, put it in a ATI stock and it will not cycle, I have tried different mags, ammo, and grains but it still fails to cycle the next round. What I mean by that is, some times it will blow back 3/4 of the way but not far enough to eject, or it won't even attempt to cycle. As said before, I have tried all combinations of ammo, grain, mags and the same results. I put the original wood stock back on and no problem, it eats up what ever I give it. So the age old question is ; does anyone know what's up with the ATI stock or how to modify it to work. I feel it may not let the trigger group fully seat, " maybe " just my idea. Have striped, cleaned it all even the gas block. ATI stock on wont cycle, factory wood stock on and it works perfect. I love the ATI stock but don't know what modification to make to correct this problem ......... Any takers on this issue. Thanks in advance. 2nd Amendment supporter and Veteran Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You are probably right.
I had an ATI and I had trouble with cycling as well. It was the trigger group not being seated all the way. I would have to really force it in to get it to function smoothly. Didnt much care for the stock ergonomics, weight, and the issue. Sold it. Factory synthetic, in my opinion, is the best stock... Modified of coarse.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Some more inforomation would make this more informative. I have a 190 series ranch rifle with the ati ultimate with aluminum rails and it functions just fine. Without the benefit of looking at your rifle, if the trigger group (hammer) is striking the firing pin then I would think thats odd to be out of place. Are you seeing any shavings from the stock around the slide?

·
Hard to kill...
16 Posts
I had an issue where the op rod wouldn't slam all the way forward when I first put it in the stock. Read somewhere that putting a couple squares (the size of a pencil eraser) of business card stock, under the rear portion of the trigger group, before locking in place. Hit the bolt release with the op rod pulled back, and BINGO! Full forward motion like it should. Not sure if that's your issue, but I shoot all kinds of junk thru the Mini. The beauty of the beast is it shoots anything with acceptable real world M.O.M. (minute of man to 300yds) accuracy with a scout mounted red dot...

FWIW YMMV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no shavings, no hang ups that I can tell, it's just got me puzzled. Love the stock although its heavy/bulky. Hoping someone who had the problem will see this post and give info on what they did to fix the problem. Like I said in first post, it cycles perfect in factory wood stock with different ammo, grain,mags. Put it in the ATI stock and it just won't cycle. It has to be hanging up on something, man this is driving me crazy !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Rolly, I'll give the card trick a try this afternoon, sounds plausible to me, I'm ready to try anything at this point. Although my issue is that it won't cycle the bolt back fully to eject and pick up next round,

·
Hard to kill...
16 Posts
Whoever told me about this said something about differences in mag wells that causes pressure in different spots. I could do the same thing with the wood and had the same results as you with the ATI. Did this and it worked the first time. Was about to start dremeling out the mag well, but really glad I didn't. Hope it cures it. Stock it a handy setup for what I want the gun for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another data point:

On MossbergOwners.com, I asked about the same ATI side-folder having two ways to lower the butt by changing the angle of the stock relative to the barrel:
"My ATI side-folder . . . came with ATI's 61.0018.01 Drop Tube ADAPTER in the package. I also bought a (ATI brand) MRW4500 Drop Tube SPACER separately . . . . The biggest difference seems to be that the ADAPTER will make the gun over an inch longer than the SPACER will (in the unfolded position). . . ."
Adapter (an extension tube with angled end):

Spacer (a wedge shim, less than 1/4" thick):

An ATI rep replied (my emphasis added)
". . . they will both fit on most shotguns. The 61.0018.01 Drop Tube Adapter is the preferred way to drop the buttstock on the side-folding stock. The MRW4500 will also work but this will tilt the complete buttstock back so that the pistol grip could touch and apply pressure to the trigger guard. This is generally not wanted and we do not recommend this. . . ."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doc, thank you for the info, that's very interesting but not an issue with my stock. I have the spacer/buffer installed, no spacer that you mentioned. I don't see where it it contacting the trigger guard . I do thank you for the response. I'm baffled with my problem, although I shot some tracers in it yesterday that I bought at a gun show" bag of loose rounds" with no grain weight. The mini fired/cycled everyone of the tracers perfectly, so guessing they were maybe 62 grains or more. But use 55 grain and it just won't cycle in the ATI stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
the operating rod is hanging up on the heat shield in the forearm... check the heat shield for wear marks, and "adjust" it as neccesary to relieve the "drag" it is placing on the operating rod. Make sure the screws holding in the heat shield are turned all the way in and not sticking up, and contacting the operating rod. Rod should pull back smoothly and bolt should slide smoothly. Make sure recoil spring "catch" is contacting the correct side of the cross pin.. and is not installed upside down.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Is the op-rod rubbing against liner when placed in the ATI stock? Do you see rubbing on the back of the liner? If you remove the hand guard and cycle the action to see if you can tell if the liner is rubbing or the trigger group is hanging up.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Did you look at the liner underneath the op-rod for rub marks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tri70, there are no drag marks, I filed down the inside areas which had a burrs and spews, but to no eval. Operating rod is smooth to about 3/4 of the way back, then seems to catch somewhat, but feels the same in both stocks. It has to be something simple, that I'm missing. Had a gun smith look atbitcand he had no idea. Sure hate to loose the $100 bucks the ATI stock cost, but at this point I'm ready to throw it on the burning pile.

·
Registered
159 Posts
here's something from ATI.. i ordered a new 6 inch Picatinny rail for the bottom of my stock.... while reading the instructions in mentions the removal of the lower stock heat shield... and it's reassemble NOTING that the "Larger end goes toward the front of the stock"... I would doubt that it could possible be installed incorrectly on yours, but another item to check.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Semper... we had this same issue on a Target Model... brand new, with a Hogue stock.... Living here in New Hampshire, 2 towns away from Newport, we just boxed it up and sent in to work with a Ruger employee... But, what they found with the Target Model, is the bolt had a manufacturing "anomally" they replaced the bolt, trigger group, and operating rod.... ran 30 rounds through it, and sent it home.. just sayin' ... if you can get it working, you can always send it back, and get it fixed.
I know these guys that work there.... they assemble rifles run a round through them and send them out..
I know it's a pain in the ass, but they will make it right.

·
Hard to kill...
16 Posts
Rolly you have me confused, "you did what ?" To correct the mag well
Nothing to the mag well. Some places on the 'net were saying the mag wells are of different thickness' in the different model mini's/ranch rifles.

The ONLY thing I did, was cut 3 little squares of business cards (square shaped, about the size of a pencil eraser), and put them under the rear most portion of the trigger group, before I locked it back into place...

Lift the trigger guard with screwdriver (thru the hole in it), do NOT take it all the way out, just lift it up. Then put the small "shims" under the rear most part (closest to the pistol grip), and slam down the trigger guard back into place. That's all I did per other's advice.....Works like it should.

BTW, the advice I got that worked, came from ATI. Their tech guy has seen this a 100 times if he's seen it once.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.