Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in trying a scout scope on my mini (Target model), but the rails that I find most appealing, the Ultimak and the AmegaRanges, are not available up here in Canuckistan. I can get an ATI folding/telescoping stock with a forward rail, but have a couple of issues. First: the small amount of past experience I have with other ATI products leads me to believe that they are complete crap as far as materials and quality is concerned. Second: is the forward rail/handguard on the ATI actually stable enough for optics? Is is screwed or otherwise attached to the stock? Has anyone used this rail for scope attachment, with any success?

I found the original Hogue stock way too loose and sloppy, and have put my Mini into a Butler Creek folder. This stock is a nice, tight fit, and I've come to like the folding feature. Am I going to regret switching it into the ATI?

Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Scout Scope on ATI Mini-14

I just put a ATI Strikeforce stock on my mini-14. This is my first experience with ATI, but I'm impressed. If anything, this stock is over built. My only real concerns with the stock is that it added about 8 oz over my Choate stock, and the lower rail should have been 6-7" rather than 2". With regard to your concern with mounting a scout scope, the upper rail is attached to the handguard with 4 8/32 screws and nuts, and the handguard is attached to the fore stock with 3 8/32 screws. I have a Hammers 2-7X32 mounted and it seems very rigid and I expect it to be stable, but I have yet to fire the reconfigured mini-14. Sighting in he scope won't happen until I add an Accu-Strut next week.

BTW, my mini is a 186 series, and the fit to the ATI stock is very snug but not stressed.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Here is my issue with the ATI:
I have had two. An original and the newer Scorpion recoil. The lower rail needs to be longer, and they do have one but its aluminum.. Heavier and the polymers would be just fine for a bottom rail.
The upper is channeled for iron sight use BUT you can't see it very well! POINTLESS!
I have not seen the upper aluminum rail and its clearance for the iron sights.. Maybe it's better.. Im skeptical for a scope / red dot on this rail because of the mount. It's 3 points and it changes with how you torque those three points.
If it was 4 point mount I would be more confident in holding zero, but I have seen a major shift where that rail sits when it comes to screwing down 2 screws on one side and 1 on the other. I seriously doubt you could hold zero when remounting the hand guard. Not good for cleaning.

It's a durable stock, great for pistol grip, mounting lights, adjustable, and folding, but I wouldn't mount anything on that hand guard.
Ultimak or Amega for a scout set up, it's the only system that mounts to the actual rifle and is a constant. Mix the two if you want the tactical stock and a reliable scout mount.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would have to agree with that. That's the reason I use the stock ruger rings and a 3-9x32 scope on mine. Pop it off and use the buffer tube as cheekweld for iron sight usage. I took the upper rail back off.

No issues with quality of materials or construction and it takes camo paint very nicely, if you are inclined to paint it.
The weight could be an issue as well, again if you care about that.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
88 Posts
johnwm, keeping in mind that you now have 3 opinions, two of which, apparently, have not mounted a scope on the ATI top rail, and one who has mounted a scope, but has not zeroed the rifle at a range. I have to disagree about the stability of the handguard. To test the stability of the handguard, I mounted the scope and zeroed it using a Leupold Zero Point. I then removed the handguard, with the scope still mounted, and then reinstalled the handguard. I paid no particular attention to to torquing the handguard screws. I just snugged them equally with a phillips screw driver. With the scope back on the rifle I rechecked the boresight using the Leupold Zero Point, and the scope was still perfectly aligned.

I realize that the point of aim may have shifted a small amount that the Zero Point can't show. That said, I think this simple test shows that there is no reason to be overly concerned about the stability of the handguard when used as a optics platform.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
johnwm, keeping in mind that you now have 3 opinions, two of which have not mounted a scope on the ATI top rail, and one who has mounted a scope, but has not zeroed the rifle at a range. I have to disagree about the stability of the handguard. To test the stability of the handguard, I mounted the scope and zeroed it using a Leupold Zero Point. I then removed the handguard, with the scope still mounted, and then reinstalled the handguard. I paid no particular attention to to torquing the handguard screws. I just snugged them equally with a phillips screw driver. With the scope back on the rifle I rechecked the boresight using the Leupold Zero Point, and the scope was still perfectly aligned.

I realize that the point of aim may have shifted a small amount that the Zero Point can't show. That said, I think this simple test shows that there is no reason to be overly concerned about the stability of the handguard when used as a optics platform.
There ya have it. More valuable info..

Question for you, dohcacr. Do you have the aluminum upgrade rail? Curious if it allows use if the iron sights.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Okay, I HAVE mounted a red dot on the upper handrail and it did not retain zero after reomval and reinstallation of the handguard. So add my opinion to the fact side of those who HAVE mounted an optic on the top handrail. The issue of not being able to see the irons correctly through the groove remains.

Oh, and I have a range in my backyard and did zero the red dot at 50 yards.I also did it at 25 yards and it didn't hold zero after handguard removal and reinstallation...not to my personal satisfaction. YMMV.

I also don't care for boresighting on carbines because the results are less accurate than on a longer barreled rifle...they are ball-park only anyway. Shooting it is what counts when you zero. My experience is the top rail will require a tweak to the optic after removal and reinstallation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thought the ATI handguard rail was too high, plus had reservations about its stability. I had a scope zero'd that suddenly shifted in mid use, and while everything seemed solid I had my doubts. I looked to put an Ultimak in place of ATI's handguard to get the scope line much lower, however that was a) more money sunk into this than I wanted, and b) you cannot install the Ultimak without trimming the ATI stock, which I didn't want to do. So, given the clunkiness and poor trigger positioning their stock gives, I sold it and replaced with a Hogue mated to the Ultimak. So far, so good. Still kind of more money than I wanted into this but happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments and opinions, guys. I found an ATI to actually handle and examine, and I decided to pass. It seemed to be similar in feel to the other products of theirs that I have played with, and I just wasn't impressed. I'm going to contact a dealer here in Canada who does a lot of one-off importing of guns and gear from the US and see if he can get me one of the scout rails I originally wanted.

Good shooting to all!

·
†3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
I'm very interested in trying a scout scope on my mini (Target model), but the rails that I find most appealing, the Ultimak and the AmegaRanges, are not available up here in Canuckistan. I can get an ATI folding/telescoping stock with a forward rail, but have a couple of issues. First: the small amount of past experience I have with other ATI products leads me to believe that they are complete crap as far as materials and quality is concerned. Second: is the forward rail/handguard on the ATI actually stable enough for optics? Is is screwed or otherwise attached to the stock? Has anyone used this rail for scope attachment, with any success?

I found the original Hogue stock way too loose and sloppy, and have put my Mini into a Butler Creek folder. This stock is a nice, tight fit, and I've come to like the folding feature. Am I going to regret switching it into the ATI?

Any opinions are appreciated.
ypgrade to the aluminum package if you plan to run an ati stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.