Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so...

I purchased both a Accuracy Systems Adjustable Gasblock and a Shock buffer from ASI. Mini 14 Accessories Ruger Rifle 30 Muzzle Brake Gas Block Compensator Steel Bedding System

I have a 580 series Tapper Barrel Mini 14.

I get the thing out to the Range, send the first round *BANG*. Go to send the second and nothing, the shell didn't eject. :unsure:

I adjust the gasblock (open it up more) and try again, same issue. I open the gasblock up fully and they shell tries to eject (it gets stuck midway) but it just won't do it.

Now, the shock buffer actually arrived with x2 buffers (or what looks like a large buffer split in two). I did allot of looking into online and it looks like people were installing them on both end of the guide-rail (Near the gasblock and near the receiver).

I'm done further research since the range and it seems that the newer models minis can be a bit finiky about shock buffers (tighter tolerances, etc). So I called ASI, talked to a lady who didn't seem to know exactly where to install them or if they're both ment to install and in what location. :wacko:

At the risk of calling back and sounded looney I'm asking for your help. Anyone have a 580+ with shock buffers (from ASI preferable but any input is welcomed) and do you have both installed? One? If one where?

Also, Which location for the installation of the shock buffer would yield the most protection for optics? At the gas block or near the receiver?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok so...

I purchased both a Accuracy Systems Adjustable Gasblock and a Shock buffer from ASI. Mini 14 Accessories Ruger Rifle 30 Muzzle Brake Gas Block Compensator Steel Bedding System

I have a 580 series Tapper Barrel Mini 14.

I get the thing out to the Range, send the first round *BANG*. Go to send the second and nothing, the shell didn't eject. :unsure:

I adjust the gasblock (open it up more) and try again, same issue. I open the gasblock up fully and they shell tries to eject (it gets stuck midway) but it just won't do it.

Now, the shock buffer actually arrived with x2 buffers (or what looks like a large buffer split in two). I did allot of looking into online and it looks like people were installing them on both end of the guide-rail (Near the gasblock and near the receiver).

I'm done further research since the range and it seems that the newer models minis can be a bit finiky about shock buffers (tighter tolerances, etc). So I called ASI, talked to a lady who didn't seem to know exactly where to install them or if they're both ment to install and in what location. :wacko:

At the risk of calling back and sounded looney I'm asking for your help. Anyone have a 580+ with shock buffers (from ASI preferable but any input is welcomed) and do you have both installed? One? If one where?

Also, Which location for the installation of the shock buffer would yield the most protection for optics? At the gas block or near the receiver?
What kind of ammo was it? Take out the shock buffers, and try it without them. Then, if it ejects ok, try just one buffer and see what happens.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not meant as criticism of the OP, but it's usually a good idea to make one change at a time in case you need to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Hello
If there are two, are they stacked? If they are stacked then take one out. I like the big burly ASI gas block but I am not a fan of the adjustable, based on what I've read on this forum. I have 2 ASI modified rifles and neither one is adjustable. With one of the rifles I got the Buffer Tech buffer and it was just too thick so I thinned it down to around 1/2 the original thickness. By the way, I do not use any front buffer. I want the dependability vs the soft landing for the op rod. Op rods are replacable. kwg

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have heard of people shaving/sanding some width off of each buffer until the rifle cycles properly. I only use one buffer on mine (towards the rear), the 1911 wilson blue ones, and it has worked great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not meant as criticism of the OP, but it's usually a good idea to make one change at a time in case you need to troubleshoot.
Agree 100%. I just saw the buffers as a "minor" change that could be fixed quickly if needed. Also I live in a place where the closest place to shoot is 30min away. And my work schedule only allows for 1 days of shooting in a week assuming I don't have anything else to do.

So my post is more of a "has anyone else run into the situation and what's their setup" rather then "I can't figure it out".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts