·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accuracy Systems Inc., in Colorado offers mini-14 and mini-30 magazines for:

1. blue $45
2. nickel $60
3. stainless $60

Subtract 5 bucks for the 20 rounders. I thought these must be pretty nifty so I e-mailed them and asked them the brand. They said they are USA magazines but they have been taken apart and "tuned up." I have a whole box of USA magazines. A few even work. Is it worth it to pay this much for tuned up USA magazines? And, could I find someone to take my own apart and "tune them" for a lot cheaper? And, last question, what is meant by "tuned up" anyway?

I was just about to send the money order when I thought I had better ask them what brand they were before I spent $120 on two magazines...hold the phone!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I am going to go off of my own experience and say to save your money and check gun shows or other places. Chances are the body will still be USA mfg. bodies, some of the worst and most inconsistent I have ever seen....

But I don't know for sure about these here they try to rework--I chucked most of my USA mags into the scrap bin out at the range on base.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. They guarantee them but, still, is a reworked USA magazine worth $60??? I am thinking maybe not. TAPCO has Victor magazines. They say they work fine but may need some "adjusting" which I am not sure what they mean by this. Does anyone sell good magazines anymore???

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
You can order springs, and followers from Brownells, and tune em your self. For $120 I'd rather buy a real Ruger mag, than a box full of cheap mags that don't work.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo
You can order springs, and followers from Brownells, and tune em your self. For $120 I'd rather buy a real Ruger mag, than a box full of cheap mags that don't work.
$120 for a mag is absolutely insane. I can't see spending that much, ever. I have never had my Mini jam, but I have only shot with Ruger and PMIs. That said, I have several USAs I have never fired, 3 seem fine, but one 20 drags on one of the feed lips and fails to hold the bolt back, so it is marked "do not use".

Question: has anyone ever tried sending USA mags back to see if the mfgr with replace (or fix) those that are clearly out-of-spec? Most companies will do this (especially if we promise to post our experiences....).

-- cw

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah. I've sent USA mags back. They send you replacement mags. After trading em in a few times you may get one that'll work. I stay away from em now. By the time you figure shipping a few times, you could've bought PMI's or maybe even a Ruger or two.

I heard about a little block thing that you stick in the mag that lets you tap the lips down with a hammer to original specs. Anybody ever heard of this or know where to get one?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I thought USA went out of business recently??

Anyways, does anyone know if the followers from Brownell's are the style that will work in 20/30 round mags, i.e., the longer stem for anti-tilt capabilities? I believe the 10 round follower used now works poorly in those "standard" capacity magazines, but I could very well be wrong.
I have been told but not tested myself yet that standard AR replacement springs will work in mini mags--which would be nice as they are cheap and plentiful.....if no one has tried it I guess I will try it out this weekend, and let you guys know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I thought $60 a piece for the "tuned" nickel plate jobs to be a bit high. Soooooooo, I decided to pass. I have many USA Mags. Some work and some don't. Does anyone make a decent magazine for mini-14s that we can still get our hands on?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. Are Ruger magazines available in other than 5 round jobs? I heard that Ruger at one time made high capacity magazines for either or both the mini-14 and mini-30 but I have never seen them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts