Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this question may have been asked but I can't find anything.

I have a stripped lower. I've ordered a "complete kit" from Model 1 Sales.

I have watched several videos on putting together the lower receiver but none of them talk about lubrication. I have to believe that any moving part NEEDS lubrication.

Now, for the question, what type(s) of lubrication should I use when assembling the lower receiver, what parts get lubed, and where?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I use Hoppes No 9 gun grease and I put it anywhere a metal part moves against another metal part. I am not one of those who believe in "running it wet". I lightly lube my firearms, ARs included with a good gun oil and then wipe off any excess. It is good enough for Uncle SAM and has been working for 60 years so I will stick with that plan.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Actually grease isn't recommended for the AR15. Lubricating with CLP, any good gun oil or Mobile 1 oil is preferred. You should be able to find a lubrication chart that will show you. The AR upper and lower receiver gets a lot of carbon fouling in it and that doesn't mix well with grease.
I typically lubricate with CLP all the parts and wipe off what's dripping and it's good to go.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Where are you getting your information that grease is not recommended. We are talking about assembling a new lower, not routine maintenance and grease is nothing more than oil with a stiffening agent added. Also, Hoppes gun grease is a very thin grease and the excess is easily wiped off like oil but you don't have all the dripping and running while you are trying to assemble new parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
While most of YouTube is useless, there are a number of decent videos about AR-15 cleaning and lubrication.

If nothing else, download the US Army AR-15 operators manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
gun lube

While attending an "Armalite" armorers course a couple years ago, the question of appropriate lube came up. Mobile 1 5-30 was preferred above all else and favored by a chemists affiliated with Armalite.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You do realize that (1) that isn't the same Armalite that invented the AR15. They just bought the rights to the company name and Colt bought the rights to the AR15 Patent and the AR name and, (2) This was a question about building a lower receiver. Not about routine lube or maintenance. Do you really want to try and put a lower together with everything dripping in Moblil 1, or anything else for that matter?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have read a book Competitive AR15 Builders Guide by Glen Zediker,
he say's use grease on assembly of ALL MOVING PARTS can't remember which grease
I'll get back to you on which grease later.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Grease for assemble is one thing but for rountine cleaning and maintenance you should use oil. It's very well documented.
For the average sportsmen use some grease wont hurt anything, however recommended lubrication won't hurt anything either.
AR15 LUBE POINTS
This diagram used by the military is referring to oil.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Grease for assemble is one thing but for rountine cleaning and maintenance you should use oil. It's very well documented.
For the average sportsmen use some grease wont hurt anything, however recommended lubrication won't hurt anything either.
AR15 LUBE POINTS
This diagram used by the military is referring to oil.
I can't help but wonder if some of you even read the OP and my response? That is exactly what I recommended.
BTW, where do you suppose I learned to lube an M16? That emblem under my screen name isn't just there because I thought it was pretty. :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I can't argue with what you where taught in the military. What I will argue is what is in the G.I. issued cleaning kit. The kits includes rods, brushes, patches, and CLP.
As I stated before, using grease isn't going to matter for sporting purposes. These rifles are not M1 Garands which required grease.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
One more time just to be clear:
This is for assembling a new lower (which is what the OP asked about) so that you don't have oil running everywhere on you while you are trying to work:
I use Hoppes No 9 gun grease and I put it anywhere a metal part moves against another metal part.
And this is for routine maintenance and lubrication:
I am not one of those who believe in "running it wet". I lightly lube my firearms, ARs included with a good gun oil and then wipe off any excess. It is good enough for Uncle SAM and has been working for 60 years so I will stick with that plan.
This is for routine maintenence and lubrication.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There is no need for grease when you assemble a lower. You should use a compound or grease when you thread on the barrel nut. A brand new AR15 doesn't come with grease. A new one usually needs to be broken down and remove the grit and oiled up.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
So when building a new rifle, you honestly use no lube at all? Why are you being so hard headed about this? The man asked a question and I answered as to how I do it. The same way that is recommended by many experts by the way. If you don't like my way of doing it, do it your own damn way but stop trying to start an argument and tell me that I am wrong when there are plenty of people out there who recommend doing it exactly the way I described.
I can't argue with what you where taught in the military.
Honestly, I believe you could and probably do argue with a fence post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AR15 build lubrication advice - part 2

Along with the lower receiver mentioned first in this thread, I will also be getting a Model 1 Sales complete kit upper.

What, if anything, will I need to do to prepare that upper for operation in the way of lubrication, cleaning, etc?

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
343 Posts
I checked; AR15 Builders Guide by Glen Zediker, he says use a boron nitride gun grease.
When putting steel and aluminum parts together, the steel will wear against the aluminum - therefore I would grease during assembly. Why take the chance of damaging the lower? Grease will also make it easier to assemble, not to mention, help hold detent pins and springs together when doing so. Grease will not harm the assembly, but do it however you want!
I preffer to use grease for assembly, then clean and lubricate the whole thing with CLP!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I checked; AR15 Builders Guide by Glen Zediker, he says use a boron nitride gun grease.
When putting steel and aluminum parts together, the steel will wear against the aluminum - therefore I would grease during assembly. Why take the chance of damaging the lower? Grease will also make it easier to assemble, not to mention, help hold detent pins and springs together when doing so. Grease will not harm the assembly, but do it however you want!
I preffer to use grease for assembly, then clean and lubricate the whole thing with CLP!
Exactly. I prefer Rem Oil but that is just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Along with the lower receiver mentioned first in this thread, I will also be getting a Model 1 Sales complete kit upper.

What, if anything, will I need to do to prepare that upper for operation in the way of lubrication, cleaning, etc?

Thanks,

Robert
You will need to remove the bolt carrier and charging handle, clean up the grit from the upper and lubricate. I would also run a bore brush through the barrel.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So when building a new rifle, you honestly use no lube at all? Why are you being so hard headed about this? The man asked a question and I answered as to how I do it. The same way that is recommended by many experts by the way. If you don't like my way of doing it, do it your own damn way but stop trying to start an argument and tell me that I am wrong when there are plenty of people out there who recommend doing it exactly the way I described.

Honestly, I believe you could and probably do argue with a fence post.
You need to go back and the my post. I never said anything about not using any lubrication at all. I said you don't need grease.
The OP's original question was about assembly of a lower. My response was that grease wasn't necessary and to use standard lubrication procedures. Did you see the Military Lubrication Chart that I posted? I have built 7 ARs so I'm speaking from experience.
Did the Military issue grease with your cleaning kit?
If you really need to win this pissing contest you seem to be holding I'll throw in the towell, you win grease it up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts