Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to purchase a AR15 now that they are priced about what an AK is going for. I attribute this to "the panic" and know that imports are stalling a bit because of how things are in the weapon world. I have a thread on the AR talk on this site and now I want to see if all the AK folks can talk me into buying an AK instead of an AR. I have a SKS and love shooting it and even though I grew up hating communism I don't blame the AK.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are running neck and neck. I have seen WASR's selling (or asking) in the $800-$900 range. I like the simplicity of the AK but dang you could get them in the $550-$700 range before the Sandy Hook incident, just like the SKS people are asking for $400 and up for them. I have heard that a lot of this is due t the current political situation we are in now and they just aren't importing them as much......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I remember too and makes it hard to pay that much for the AK but if they would come down a little bit,HMMMMM..... I like my SKS and the 7.62x39 round,which ain't $2.00 a box no more but is still cheaper than the 2.23 0r 5.56. I wouldn't mind hearing more pros and cons on the AR and AK....

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Hi Mercer59;

As much as anything else it is my belief that the price situation is due to import restrictions on the AK's which are not being felt by the AR's (naturally). Notice that AK prices didn't spike the way AR prices did, nor have they fallen as far.

Wish I could be more helpful, but to me personally the AK is "worth" as much or more than an AR, since in a fight I would trust the AK's greater ability to keep slinging lead without maintenance and larger, heftier slug. Love those 154gr JSP's by Tula, its like having a "30 cubed" (30 shots of 30-30)! I try not to think about all the things the feddie boys have done to jack up prices on us (that's most of what gun control really is, a way of keeping guns out of ordinary people's hands by any means and price is one of 'em). Still kicking myself for not stocking up on more of the $75 SKS's, $250 M1 Carbines, etc that I remember so fondly from 20 years ago.

Personally I would look for a WASR around $800 (check atlanticfirearms) if the comments I typed above make sense to you. If you do go that route make sure you're well stocked on imported magazines and 7.62x39 ammo though. I have no idea how much longer either will be available; been predicting that Barry would flex his muscles after the 3rd when he signs the UN ATT, but maybe with the scandals he'll be more circumspect. Don't know. Maybe we'll get a decent gov't and prices will fall like a brick. Then I'll have egg on my face, since one of my AK's set me back almost a grand (its a really sweet Polish AKMS though). FWIW I really don't care at this point - I've got what I've got and I'm happy with 'em, even though it would've been nice to have more stuff at lower costs.

Which one will go up more? Damn'd if I know. I went SKS back in the late 80's-early 90's and agonized over which would be the better pick: SKS or M1 Carbine. For years the M1 looked to have beaten my pick (what was a $250 gun then is a $700 gun now), but the SKS caught up. What was a $75 gun is now a $400 gun. So I don't really know whether AR or AK is the better investment. But to me, if I wanted a serious "get me outa trouble NOW" rifle, I'd personally pick the AKM over the AR15/M16 series. Others will disagree and I respect their opinion.

Whatever you go with, good luck and all the best,
Grumpy

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I prefer the AR, but have owned both. AR's are slightly more finicky, but offer more inherent accuracy. Plus you can configure them out the wazoo. I went through so many rifles it was ridiculous...I can't really think of many I haven't owned. What a waste of money. :D

Now I keep a few AR's. One is my 50 Beowulf with a Wylde chambered upper (which needs re-barreling, I shot it out awhile ago and it's opened up to about a 1.5" group at 100 yards). The Beowulf is set up for hunting.
The other two main ones are both 6.5 Grendel's with free-floated 18" barrels that I've been building out...a wife and two kids sort of derailed that. :rolleyes:
They wear 18" free-floated barrels and nothing but scopes on quick detach mounts. I originally set them up as 0-300 yard whitetail hunters and 0-800 yard target rifles. I still haven't really finished them out as I would like. I should get them out again just to blow the dust and rust out of the barrels.

All said and done, for practical purposes I could probably get by just fine with my .357 revolvers and a pump shotgun. But whatever, like everyone else I suppose I keep the AR's with the intent that I will never truly need them.

---

Having said all that, weigh the two and just pick what you really want. They are both EBR's. They are both pretty reliable if you go with a good manufacturer. Slight edge on accuracy to the AR, slight edge on the likelihood of it going bang with the AK.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I prefer the AR, but have owned both. AR's are slightly more finicky, but offer more inherent accuracy. Plus you can configure them out the wazoo. I went through so many rifles it was ridiculous...I can't really think of many I haven't owned. What a waste of money. :D

Now I keep a few AR's. One is my 50 Beowulf with a Wylde chambered upper (which needs re-barreling, I shot it out awhile ago and it's opened up to about a 1.5" group at 100 yards). The Beowulf is set up for hunting.
The other two main ones are both 6.5 Grendel's with free-floated 18" barrels that I've been building out...a wife and two kids sort of derailed that. :rolleyes:
They wear 18" free-floated barrels and nothing but scopes on quick detach mounts. I originally set them up as 0-300 yard whitetail hunters and 0-800 yard target rifles. I still haven't really finished them out as I would like. I should get them out again just to blow the dust and rust out of the barrels.

All said and done, for practical purposes I could probably get by just fine with my .357 revolvers and a pump shotgun. But whatever, like everyone else I suppose I keep the AR's with the intent that I will never truly need them.

---

Having said all that, weigh the two and just pick what you really want. They are both EBR's. They are both pretty reliable if you go with a good manufacturer. Slight edge on accuracy to the AR, slight edge on the likelihood of it going bang with the AK.
Well said. While my preferences run the other way, its not like the AR is c*** and the AK rules or the other way around. Find your priorities and a weapon that fits your personality. I'll even fess up to owning an AR, all one of it. OTOH, I've got *ahem* a few more klatches than that.

And realize that at the end of the day the most likely SHTF situation any of us will face will be resolved with the 12ga or sidearm. Nothing wrong with AR's or AK's for HD, but in a lot of situations the 9 pellets of 00 striking simultaneously is hard to pass up, and in a lot of other situations the concealability of the handgun makes it the choice.

Best,
Grumpy

·
M14 guy
990 Posts
You have received great advise and suggestions.

I have a SKS and love shooting it and even though I grew up hating communism I don't blame the AK..... I like my SKS and the 7.62x39 round,which ain't $2.00 a box no more but is still cheaper than the 2.23 0r 5.56.
This makes me think an AKM would be a good & natural choice for you.
I recommend a 7.62x39 Poly Tech or Norinco if you can find one at a decent price.

Price; I remember paying $00.35 per gallon of premium gas and $00.13 per round of 7.62 NATO, but those days are long gone.

Best of luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really got better than I deserved here.I appreciate all the input and we all seem to be on the same page. No one said either platform was garbage but we all know that there are bad ones out there. With that said what AKs should be eliminated from the search?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking on Atlantic they have a Romanian AK with case ,3-30 rnd mags,sling,mag pouch,and plastic case for $800. If the Romanian is a SAR-1 or MK-1 would this (Romanian) be a good buy?

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Just my personal experience and should not be taken as definitive, but here goes:
1. I.O. Inc. Had some mixed luck here. One had functioning issues out of the box with a badly worn recoil spring (contrary to popular opinion AKM mainsprings do wear out - the one this shipped with was well over an inch shorter than a new unit and caused FTE issues) as well as a loose and poorly fitted gas cylinder. However it did clean up nicely into a replica DDR AKM circa mid '60's timeframe with a last gen wood stock. The other one functioned okay but has a badly made FSB. Got a spare FSB on hand, just need to get a little time on a shop press to push it off and replace it. Wood on that one was very poor and I ended up putting some AK74 wood on it for the time being. If the whole AWB 2.0 thing ever blows over I'd like to build up a real semi auto AK74 clone then redo this one as a regular AKM. Haven't seen a single one in our LGS that didn't have something wrong with it, but in the leadup to the November elections I was buying every AK I could afford and figured I'd sort it out later. Uneven quality. Can't recommend with a clear conscience unless you've inspected it personally and made sure its GTG. Make really sure the receiver pins are tight - seen some really awful riveting in some at the LGS. I picked the best of the bunch and still had some issues.
2. WASR - Haven't seen a bad one. All the talk about mag wobble has been h******** in my direct experience. Couple of my "dimpled" AKM's have as much or more wobble. Wish I could afford another, but the days of $550 WASR's are gone and my finances are reeling under obozocare. Canted FSB can be a problem on the WASR, but the CAI rifles I've had have been fairly easy to fix this when it happens - you just drive out the pins, lock the bbl in a vise and (with a wood block to keep from marring the FSB) tap it in the correct direction.
3. "other" - sometimes I see parts kits built up into full AK's, often using Nodak Spud receivers. The couple I own and others I've seen have been good, but they were through big vendors (i.e. places like atlantic) not ed the wannabe gunsmith in his basement.
4. Norinco - Norcs were good quality pieces, but are preban unless its a Mak90 with the thumbhold stock. The thumbholes work okay, but look goofy. If a Mak90 is converted to a military configuration, watch your 922r parts count - no more than 10 of the "magic pieces" can be imported, and while its true that the person who puts the 11th piece in is the one who's on the hook, the feds can seize a rifle claiming a violation (i.e. the gun is contraband even if the owner is in the clear). Magazine counts as 3 pieces, so if you have a piece that's over 7 w/o magazine that can be a problem. Tapco followers will lower your overall count by one, and if you're using imported polymer mags there are also US made baseplates that will knock another piece off your overall count. Typical parts to replace inside the piece are the pistol grip, the gas piston, and the muzzle brake. On any AKM, if you have one with a muzzle brake/nut that's welded on, it counts as one part with the bbl. As soon as the weld is undone, then you've got a second piece.
5. Poly Tech - Stellar pieces, but preban and $$$$$. Wish I'd never sold my AKS762 over 20 years ago to pay the rent. Terrific fit 'n finish for an AK, takes a little getting used to the permanently attached bayo, but its worth it. FCG had this crazy gold colored metal plating that was a little slippery and didn't chip or peel. Really top notch, but $$$$$.
Chinese made AKM variants have a thicker sheet metal and are generally very very sturdy. Chu wood stocks ain't pretty but they hold up well and once you get used to that blond wood you ditch any dumb ideas about swapping it out. Serious collector pieces. If I get my hands on another thumbhole MAK90, I'll leave it alone. Its a part of history showing our dumb*** gun laws in action and a bit of a rarity among AK pattern rifles because of this.

!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!! One thing to watch out for on Chinese AK variants is the dreaded "3rd hole special". A handful were shipped in with the auto sear hole drilled and either a rivet placed through the hole, or the axis pin welded in place. Don't confuse this with the center support pin, the axis pin for the auto sear is below this. RHS rails had their notch filled in with weld metal, which is another dead giveaway if you strip the piece to inspect. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE EVER. The BATFE has a list of the serial #'s and its not worth 10 years of institutional food to get caught with one. Its a case of their stupid "once a machinegun/always a machinegun" rule, which is the same reason to stay away from M2 marked carbines. Even if one only has correct semi auto parts, the fedskis will burn someone big time on this. YOU ARE WARNED.

Okay, sorry for being all scary there, but its something every budding AK guy needs to know. All us EBR guys are on the edge of a precipice - fedskis would love to push us over, and if we give 'em even a shadow of an excuse, they will. Keep it clean is my advice, whether its an AK, an AR, or even a mini 14.

4. Other AK variants to consider
a. RPK - best of the breed if you can find one is the AE10B; its got the true RPK pattern receiver with the thicker metal and oversized trunions. Stay away from the AE10, unless you talk 'em down on price, since the earlier AE10 had a pencil bbl and standard AKM receiver/trunion configuration. Love my AE10B, since with the heavy tube it doesn't heat up as much as a standard configuration. Bit of a beast though - length and weight are comparable to an M14. But man does it handle heat build up well. If you get one, make sure to stock up on 75 round drums! :D
b. AMD65 - pretty awkward looking compared to a standard AKM and can suffer from canted FSB to a greater degree (shorter sighting radius makes this a problem). Heats up fast and damn' does that sheet metal handguard get hot. Keep your hands away from it. Folding stock is a little delicate so be careful! Expect to get looks on the range since no one will know WTF it is. Also expect others on the range to keep far away once they hear the muzzle blast off that shorty tube with the permanently welded brake for length compliance. If you get one and the pistol grips suck, Roningrips makes a terrific set of grips (you need to order two grips). Not the standard hollow configuration grip, Roningrips are solid with a hole drilled for the bolt. Very strong, recommended for AMD65 owners.

If I only had one AK, it would be a standard configuration piece. But the others are fun too.

Whatever you get,
Enjoy.
Grumpy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't be fooled into buying an over priced AK. If you want an AK just wait a few months. Prices will go back down eventually. It always does. If you are going to spend $800 - plus, go with an AR. There also isn't really an import shortage either, just people are either asking to much for them, or they haven't sold their stuff after the gun scare yet. Ammo prices and gun prices are already starting to fall. So just wait it out and you'll be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.