Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have an AR-15 upper made during the assault rifle ban? I imagine there are tens of thousands of these uppers sitting around collecting dust.

My AR-15 upper made during the assault rifle ban is off a Bushmaster. 1:9 twist, no flash hider, no M4 feed ramps and heavy barrel (not M4 profile).

I have put a lot of thought into what to do with this upper to bring it to current specs. Maybe put a 1:17 barrel or a new receiver, but then I would have left over parts collecting dust.

I decided to put a magpul handguard with sling attachment on it and leave the upper as is.

Next is to order a complete Anderson lower and have a complete rifle. Thge upper shoots, has a carry handle and a cheap red dot optic. Not exactly something to survive a zombie invasion, but a rifle to take to the range for some target shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pull the barrel and get it threaded, I think a buddy of mine paid about $40 over the weekend to have his done at a local shop. Chances are, nobody but you at the range would ever pay any attention to how old it is. There is such a mash up of parts on so many guns these days, everything is the new normal.

The lack of feed ramps interests me though. I've got a custom 18" SS bull barrel that has the ramps built in. Won't work in a 'modern' receiver with the ramps cut already. Bullet tip jams between the two ramp setups. I've found one flat-top receiver that will work on it, but the previous owner had it powdercoated baby blue with red and blue glitter. I'm not brave enough to finish assembling it all, or to run a good bolt carrier through it to see if it'd even work. That chit is thick and ugly, and I'd hate to damage good parts just to find out.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Thread it...or not. Free float it. That's about all I would do. I think the biggest downside is it's not a flat top, but it's still a functional upper. You can always use it as a range loaner.

Another option is sell it. I'm guessing you could get at least $300 out of it, and it would be a good start upper for someone just getting into AR's.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I got out of the AR business. Except for one upper that I haven't parted with. Its a RRA heavy bull with the riser. It was a shooter. But then again, its not a rifle. No threaded barrel, no bayonet lug. Was thinking of getting an Aries lower to finish it out again. Miss shooting it. Was the most accurate AR I every shot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I actually acquired an AWB compliant Bushmaster A2 (complete rifle), just a couple years ago. It was sitting neglected in the corner of a coworker's garage. I couldn't bear seeing it sit there like that so I made a low-ball offer to take it off his hands, which he accepted, because his wife apparently didn't like it sitting in the house.

Long story short, after an extremely thorough cleaning and lubrication session, I took it to the range. To my surprise, it ran flawlessly and it was accurate enough to shred pop cans at 100 yards. I had originally intended to use it for parts, but after that range session, I didn't have the heart to tear it down. It still sits in my safe - a monument to the darker days of AR ownership. It also happens to be my general purpose range loaner and all around sewer tube. Anyone who wants to shoot the crap out of it is welcome to - as long as they bring the ammo.

Funny thing is - if I wanted to put a scope on the carry handle, it would probably run almost as good as my full-time coyote rig. If I wanted to go all tactical, I can just put a Magpul MOE handguard one it, along with some of those modular rail strips they make. I guess what im getting at is that you can do anything with it that you can do with any other rifle. Just figure out what you want to do with it, and go from there!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The original bushmaster uppers were really good. The hbar turns a bunch of people off because of the weight. They do a great job of recoil reduction. If anything, pull barrel and have it threaded. You could also get a goose neck mount and add the red dot further up. No need for chin weld.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opening post has been updated with a video.

An Anderson lower receiver was installed on the Bushmaster upper receiver made during the assault rifle ban.

Magpul furniture was installed, except for the pistol grip. I might go back later and add either and ergo grip or magpul grip.

The rifle is what it is. I have debated for months about threading the barrel and installing a flash hider, or installing a new receiver. But I keep asking myself why? Why spend money on the upper only to have spare parts laying around, such as replacing the receiver with a flat top.

The barrel is a heavy barrel with a 1:9 twist.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts