Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started another question a couple days ago asking which rifles will accept the AR15 mags because I had planned on buying some 20-30rd mags in preparation for buying an AR or a compatible rifle. I'd like to make sure I have a few of the 20rd or 30rd mags before any ban goes into effect also. So I ordered 2-30rd Magpul Pmags last night but then I realized that these longer magazines might not be so great for everyday type shooting, like target shooting and plinking especially the 30rd and 40-42rd ones. They would be fine if you are standing or any firing position where the rifle isnt sitting on or near the ground or a bench. But if you are sitting at a bench or shooting prone, maybe they will get in the way. I dont own an AR yet so I am just assuming at this point.

Unfortunately I didnt go to 44mag.com last night when I bought the 2 Magpul PMAG's because 44mag has them now with free shipping so I could've saved $7-$9 on the shipping. So now I am looking at the 20rd Magpul polymer mag for $13- and a CP/CProducts 20rd steel magazine for $9.99

So I though I'd ask the opinions of people here who own and shoot AR15's or Stanag compatible rifles which magazine you prefer, the 20rd 30rd? Which magazines do you use for everyday shooting, hunting and which for home defense, etc. What ratio of 20rd vs. 30rd. vs. 40rd or larger do you personally have? What do you think of the 40rd and larger magazines? At 44mag.com they have a Surefire 60rd magazine but they want $119 for it and its just a wider 30rd magazine basically.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my S&W Sport and went shooting yesterday. I can shoot prone just fine with a 30 round magazine, but I would like some 20rd ones to.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Personally, I have all 30 round except for one which is a 10 round that I use for bench rest shooting so it doesn't hit the table. When I first joined the Army back in the olden days they issued 20 round mags but soon replaced them with the 30s and I have never seen any point in the 20s since then. We used to tape a second thirty to the one in the mag well so that all you had to do was pull the mag out, flip it over and have another 30 rounds ready to go. My 5.56x45 AR keeps a 30 round mag loaded at all times. The 6.8 I keep loaded with the 15 round mags. CProducts are great mags as are the LaBelle or DH mags from BCM. These are the ones I buy the most of: AR-15 Magazines

·
Registered
437 Posts
You are correct that the 20-rounders are less likely to get in the way off a bench, prone, etc. With the rising cost of ammo, even plinking is more practical with a 20 rounder. But you still need 30s: those zombie crackhead FSA hordes aren't going to kill themselves.
I have only milspec 20 and 30 rounders; no need or desire for larger mags that do not have a proven track record of reliability, especially since the cost per round of capacity is quite a bit greater than the 20s and 30s.
The only possible exception would be a real Beta Mag C-Mag 100 round drum (not the Korean copy), and that only as a potential investment.

I happen to have mostly 30 rounders (perhaps a 3:1 ratio), but I would not worry overly about the ratio of 20 to 30 round mags. Focus on buying as many of both as you can justify to yourself.
Look at it this way: the full-auto M-16 was issued for many years with only 20-rounders, and the .308 semis have 20-rounders standard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I second PigBat. With a semi-auto AR-15, I really don't see a need for a lot of 30-rounders for me since I'm not into mag-dump plinking. I like the 20-rounder for its handiness and it suits me for what I see myself doing in low profile mode. If I was expecting to do a lot of surpressive fire in a SHTF situation, like busting an ambush or meeting a full-on assault, I would go for 30-rounders, but I'm getting pretty long in the tooth for that stuff. Since I can't read tea leaves too well, I do have a few of the 30-rounders just in case. In fact, one of those 60-round MagPuls might be a prudent buy, just for insurance of course.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have only 30 rounders, never shot 20, 10, or 5 rounders. I have 30's because they simply hold more. Some people have told me that 20's are good since they hold a entire box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like 20 round PMAGs. Great quality, lightweight, and comes with a device for long term loaded storage. Not to mention they finish off a 20 round box nicely.

·
Registered
302 Posts
20-30 round mags are all I will own.
We had guys buy the 40 rounders for deployment and they had many issues out of them. They wouldn't work in the SAW's and they caused many more FTF than even the ****ty USGI 30 rounders. I have a stack of USGI 30 rounders because they were free but I run 30 round PMAGS in my LMT.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Here in the People Republic I prefer the 30 round mags, but I have to buy "pre-ban" or those without dates. Otherwise off to the re-education camp (jail). At the range I prefer the short 10 rounders so I can position better on the bench.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I prefer 30's by either Magpul or GI contract but...I do keep some GI 20s for benchwork. I haven't had the occasion yet to try Magpul 20's but...I DO need to try some.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer 30's by either Magpul or GI contract but...I do keep some GI 20s for benchwork. I haven't had the occasion yet to try Magpul 20's but...I DO need to try some.
I ordered and received 2 20rd CP steel mags and 2 30rd Magpul polymer mags, so I have a mixture. Now I just need an AR to fit them into! Next week I think I'll go and buy a bedliner for a Ford pickup, then later on I'll buy a Ford pickup to fit under the bedliner! I'm buying these4 mags in case of a ban on them before I have the chance to buy(and afford) an AR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I shoot prone or from the bench I always use a 20rnd magazine and when Im standing Ill use either that or the 30. I havent really found a need for anything more but will admit I would love to have a belt fed one. I have maybe a couple more 30's than I have 20's but like them both. Sometimes i thought about buying a sled for when I load longer than magazine length rounds but haven't yet. I will from time to time single load them through the ejection port though too.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
20-30 round mags are all I will own.
We had guys buy the 40 rounders for deployment and they had many issues out of them. They wouldn't work in the SAW's and they caused many more FTF than even the ****ty USGI 30 rounders. I have a stack of USGI 30 rounders because they were free but I run 30 round PMAGS in my LMT.
Well if you were so inclined, you could probably make a good little profit off those GI 30s about now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
... I will from time to time single load them through the ejection port though too.
Cautionary note on that practice: it's not recommended due to the risk of a slam fire. This holds for pretty much every semi with a floating firing pin, including ARs, M1 Garand, M14 / M1A, SKS, etc. Without the resistance of stripping the cartridge out of the magazine, the bolt can slam home with sufficient force that the inertia of the firing pin allows it to hit the primer hard enough to detonate it. Mostly a problem with sensitive primers and/or those with soft cups (like match-grade), which is why milspec primers are harder.

See link for more detail:
Fulton Armory FAQ: Slam Fires, Mags & SLEDs; Clint speaks out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea thanks for the caution. I did used to sit them in the chamber and let the carrier fly home until I read about the slam fires. Thats what kept me from buying a sled so far. When I say single load them I am putting a round in the magazine but through the ejection port kind of like you would in a bolt gun.

That's defiantly a valid point for people to consider though since I didn't elaborate on my method.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for clarifying; I single-load the same way you do (via the magazine).
Sometimes I think I come across as an obnoxious safety nazi, but I'd hate for one of our members to destroy a valuable rifle, and would really hate it if they got hurt in the process. Your understanding is appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I take your word on the advisability of chambering from a magazine, PigBat, but I recall that single rounds were chambered when zeroing and on other occasions when I was trained on the M1 Garand in basic training (yes, I am that old). Given the enbloc clip, that was the only really practical to load and fire single rounds for the Garand. I don't recall hearing of any slam fires from that practice.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I take your word on the advisability of chambering from a magazine, PigBat, but I recall that single rounds were chambered when zeroing and on other occasions when I was trained on the M1 Garand in basic training (yes, I am that old). Given the enbloc clip, that was the only really practical to load and fire single rounds for the Garand. I don't recall hearing of any slam fires from that practice.
Probably because military rounds use a harder primer. Same with 5.56x45 NATO as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
20 round without question are the most comfortable while keeping an adequate amount of ammo available. I do have 6 30 round MagPul PMAG magazines and they work great. If I'm in a situation where I need higher capacity, the 20 round M16 mags I've had for years will continue to see service.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts