Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:usa: I have a Model 181 Mini-14 .223 and want to know if anyone has mounted a Bushnell Holosight on their rifle. It looks like an excellent red dot scope to use. What mount would be best to use? :usa: :rapid:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:usa: :rapid: :rapid: :rapid: Come on guys...surely someone has used one of these Holosights...they look like the way to go. Am I right...or wrong? I need some of your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious too. I want to mount a Bushnell or an Aimpoint on my ranch rifle. The gun shop said it requires a new mount, rings, etc. and would be a hassle.... Anyone try it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also looked into Holosights, but I decided on a Millett Red dot instead for a few reasons:

1. No new rings to purchase (the 1" version will work with the Ruger rings that ship with the gun).

2. Only spent about $100...the Millett is shock-proof, but it shouldn't matter since the 223 doesn't have much of a recoil. The aimpoint and Holosight are north of $200 for similar features.

3. The Aimpoint or Holosight would work, but you would have to purchase a Weaver style adapter for the Ranch...found one online for $50.

This being said, the scope has not arrived yet. My only fear is that it will not 'clear' the front sight (i.e. I will be able to see the post in my scope), so I may have to purchase the Weaver and use it as an extension.

My $.02 anyway. I will let you know what I think of the Millett when it arrives!

:beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

I purchased a Holosight but put it in my High Standard Supermatic Trophy .22. I had a friend of mine that was shooting the 10 and X ring out of the target at 50 ft. and 25 yards. He's shooting some phenomenal scores on the indoor Nat. Match Course. I put it on and was within 10 points of him at the first match. I got the one with the dot reticle and was so impressed with the accuracy on the High Standard that I bought another one from Natchezss.com on sale for $149 plus shipping before they go off sale. They are normally around $200+

Good shooting,
Jim:2guns:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by GA_Mini14
[My only fear is that it will not 'clear' the front sight (i.e. I will be able to see the post in my scope), so I may have to purchase the Weaver and use it as an extension.

Have no fear, it will work fine. I installed an Ultra Dot on my Ranch Minni 14 and while the front sight can be seen, it does NOT interfer with the red dot, which looks to be about 1/2 inch above the front sight. Even if the front sight were in the way, it's only pinned on and I'd think it'd come off pretty easily; although I'd rather leave it on "just in case".

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with the Millet REDOT (on a Ruger PC4...not a mini) because it has a slightly smaller dot than most: 3 MOA
It seems to work very well so far. It was about $115
The 1" Ruger rings work fine.

MiniPearl

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you want to mount a holosight on a mini-14 ranch you need one of these http://www.jackweigand.com/ranch.html I've got one of these on my mini-14 ranch now along with a Kobra red dot http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bst.html Although both the scope rail and the Kobra are excellent products, I too have a 1"millett red dot on its way here to put on my mini. The only complaint that I have with the scope rail and the Kobra are that the "dot" sits too high off of the barrel. I feel that with the flat trajectory of the .223/5.56 round I want my sight picture closer to the barrell. Plus I can't get a good cheek weld with the dot so high.:usa:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Magnumman:

I had the first generation Holosight on a folding stock Mini-14 (standard model w/BSquare mount) a couple years ago. It was the fastest sight I've ever used on a rifle. Since the reticle housing is so large, and sits so far back and close to the eye (as opposed to the C-More/reflex style) it just appears magically when mount the stock. It's was a rugged sight that never gave me a bit of trouble.

I ended up changing that Mini-14 to a varmint gun and moved it to a MKII .22 pistol where it also worked great on running jackrabbits but was too heavy. I eventually sold it and replaced it with an Optima.

I would recommend getting the 2nd generation Holosight however, as it has a number of improvements, particularly low-light capabilities.

Good luck.:usa:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a Series 181 Mini-14...what mount should it take. I've also got a Ranch rifle...would the Weigand mount fit that?

:2guns:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts