Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading cast in a few calibers for a long time and love it.
Wondering if anyone here is loading cast in say the Mini-30 or AR platform?
I am at the moment loading some LEE C309-150-F sized .3105
Only cast bullet I have right now that will work for the X39
Will so have the LEE C312-155-2R Sized .312 and .313
I going to start with about 18.0 of RL7 for powder.
Will post back Monday or so with the results.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
No, but I have thought about it. Not in my Mini, but in my CZ. I do have a Mold for Blackout, but I haven't loaded any yet.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always read that cast should not be used in a gas gun as the gas port will shave off lead from the bullet and get clogged. Don't know if this is internet BS or fact.
Guy at the range has a bolt action 30/30 that he shoots cast from. MOA at 100 yards.
I'm sure you have it but in case you don't...... the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has load data for the Lee #C312-155-2R Mold.
It doesn't list RL-7 but lists Rx7. Is this a misprint? Not familiar with it.

Bepe
Mostly false on the gas port shaving lead, Lots of guys shoot lead from the SKS which has a larger gas port.
I do have the Lyman book. RX7 and RL7 are one in the same.
Lyman uses RX for their abbreviation instead of RL, not sure why.
I load lots of cast in my 30-30 lever guns with great results.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Linotype will produce a very hard bullet that shouldn't shave off on a gas port. Never had trouble in M1 Garand, or M1 Carbine. Never had any leading in bolt guns either. Make the bullet even harder by dropping the bullets from the mold into a bucket of water. The problem is finding linotype, especially at a decent price.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Range trip

Well I got out this morning to test a coupe loads.
Things are looking good :)
Shooting was @ 50yds. off a bipod.
150gr. LEE G/C Bullets.
Loaded over 18, 19, and 20gr. of RL7
18.0 not so great grouping, stringing and barely ejected.
19.0 Much better grouping .73 with one flyer taking it to 1.180 and one failure to eject proper.
20.0 Even better grouping, 4 rounds into .68 with the one
flyer taking it to 1.22

So next outing will be 20, 20.5 and 21gr. of RL7
Will hopefully run some through a Chrono see what what kind'a numbers I'm getting.
Cast loads fed perfect through the Mag and smooth into the chamber.
I have lots of these bullets and some LEE C312-155-2R Sized .312 on the way.
For those that say no Cast in a Semi, have you actually shot cast in a Semi ? if so what was your outcome?

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let us know if you strip your Mini down to see if any lead is working it's way from the bbl. and into the gas piston, etc..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know if you strip your Mini down to see if any lead is working it's way from the bbl. and into the gas piston, etc..
I will tear it down it down tomorrow morning and let you know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned and inspected the rifle.
No leading found anywhere.
Did not remove the gas block but used a bore scope to check around the gas hole, perfectly clean, also nothing blown back to the gas key.
I did however only fire a total of 15 rounds.
I will try to load up about 50 for the next trip out, however I probably won't get out until next Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I too will be looking again at loading lead bullets instead of jacketed for my Mini. A few years ago, I did a lot of testing lead bullets in x39 but these were for my bolt action rifle. Bullet wts. ranged from 110gr. to 180gr. and some were quite slow as I was going for sub-sonic speeds.
When I get a chance, I'll dig up my load testing results and maybe share some of that info.. I will only be looking for loads that would most likely function the Mini's action.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Don't know if this is internet BS or fact?

Bepe: Go with the former on that question.

With 50,000 psi behind the stuff that is supposed to get stuck in the gas port, I think it is unlikely that anything will be staying there for long.

Sometimes people say things without actually thinking about what they are saying. For verification of this phenomenon just watch the evening news.

The only firearms related place I have seen anything like this happen is in the Ports on a Shotgun Barrel that shave plastic off the wad as it passes by. Even shooting full bore slugs I have never seen even one Iota of lead in any of those holes and we are only talking 10-11,000 psi pushing those along.

With 5X that psi in play nothing bullet related is going to plug that hole.

Randy

Reactions: Dr. A and dh1633pm

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Thanks Randy. I have always heard the never shoot lead with a gas semi. I guess its about time I learned to change my thoughts on things.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I'm a little disappointed. I finally got to look through my load trials log and found that the best lead bullet loads were either heavy- 180gr. and heavier or light to medium-110 to 130gr. plinker type at velocities around 900 fps. Like I had said in my previous post, there were for my bolt action rifle and before I had scored my first Mini 30.
I don't think any of these loads would function well in a semi-auto and I'm not going to risk damage to my Minis. So, I may take a look at that 130gr. bullet to see if I can push it up around 2100 fps or more to get correct bolt/slide action but avoid leading the bbl..
I have a bunch of 150-155gr. lead bullets too and I believe those may work very well being heavier while keeping velocities slow to avoid leading.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
San: if you Powder Coat your boolits you will never have to worry about leading again.

I shoot the .45's in my Glock 21 SF and the .44's in my Rifle and Revolvers.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
San: if you Powder Coat your boolits you will never have to worry about leading again.

I shoot the .45's in my Glock 21 SF and the .44's in my Rifle and Revolvers.

Randy

I have considered this. The only problem is the various bullets I have bought here and there are lubed/sized. I would have to somehow remove the lube to PC them. If there is an easy way to do that, let me know.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The hot gases produced liquefy lead from the rear of the projectile
which is why they make gas checks for lead bullets.
The harder the lead the less this happens.
It is more barrel and gas block leading from heat and vapor then shaving.
At least that is what I've gleaned from studies on this topic.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've shot a lot of Lead through gas operated firearms, most of them Russian-designed. The gas check on the rear of the bullet acts mostly as a support for the base of the bullet. If it is being driven hard, a hard bullet is better for a lot of reasons, including that it is less likely to slump to one side on firing, which has very negative effects on accuracy. You can get a much harder bullet by using scrap containing significant amounts of Arsenic and/or Antimony, adding a little Tin, and dropping the bullet from the mold into a 5-gallon bucket of water. I have never seen significant Lead deposited in SKS, AK or SVT gas systems by cast bullet loads. The loads I have used have been powered by 2400, 4198 and 4895.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
wonder if a spray with the moly disulfide (sp?) on cast bullets would alleviate leading - maybe only partly? I've done that with good results on cast slugs I bought to load for my .38 and .45 revolvers. they came without any lube, I had used Lee ALOX to tumble the cast slugs, messy operation for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts