Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Stainless Ranch Rifle with Hogue molded Stock from my brother. He had a number of aftermarket pre-ban hi-cap Stainless mags, which work fine.

BUT, as he is getting a new Vepr IIk, he got some black composite Waffle mags in 7.62x39.

These are the nicest mags I've seen, and a bit of looking on the Net seems to indicate that people are pretty happy with these less-than-common magazines.

SO, my question is:

Does anyone manufacture similar composite magazines for the Mini-14?

I did find some Israeli composite mags for the AR-15, but no luck for the Mini.

Thanks in advance.

Arkhan

·
Registered
160 Posts
All the non-metal mags I have heard about are Eagle magaines, but they are made of clear plastic.

The ones you describe sound interesting. What is the complete brand name? Any indication where they were made?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, from looking at ak-47.net they are Bulgarian military magazines for the AK-47 and 74, Mak-90 in those calibers

They are black composite plastic, similar to the lower reciever of a Glock. They are very sturdy, and have a WAFFLE pattern raised in the material.

Frankly, from what I know of this type of material, they're pretty much indestructible, immune to elements, etc.

All I can find for the Mini are blued and stainless, which is fine, but I'd like something in a composite material if I could get them.

The Israeli AR-15 magazines I've seen are made of "ormalite". I assume that is similar.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have seen Thermold magazines for the mini 14 which are the same or similar to the Israeli Orlite mags for the AR. However, I dont have any experience with them and they seem pretty rare. Check out the internet gun auction sites. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Russian soldiers in Afghanistan kept spare mags in their breast pockets. They prefered metal mags over the waffle because the plastic wouldn't show on field hospital x-rays.

They do look cool however. And assuming you aren't traveling to the front line, they work pretty well.

Keep looking, I have seen a few different makes out there.:usa:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thermold mags work great in AR's unless you are firing full auto the heat can cause them to deform. As for the MINI 14 they will not hold the bolt open after the last round! The best bet for the mini are steel mags, favorites are PMI's never a problem you can find them through this dealer www.claudehall.com . The prices listed on his site are no longer valid, he has raised all prices by $10.00 to $15.00:ar15:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gunthore, I checked a couple of prices on his web page.
He lists a Mec-Gar replacement mag for a Beretta 96 for just under $70. The last ones I bought were under $35. Maybe there's more to it than I see on his page.....as his prices per dozen? :eek: :D

However, his Mini 14 prices (at the link) aren't too high, but you said he's recently raised them above what's listed? I paid $40 for the last two PMI SS 30 round Mini 14 magazines. That was at a gun show. I haven't found good prices for PMI magazines on the internet (yet).

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.