Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how well the Mini Target model shot without the barrel tuner on the front. I'm thinking group size.

It looks to me the dampener allows you to tune the barrel to the load rather than tune the load to the barrel. The Hogue stocked models weigh 8.5 lbs vs 6.75 lbs for the Hogue stocked SS Ranch. I'm guessing the dampener could weigh 1/2-3/4 lb.

It seems a heavy barrelled Mini ought to shoot pretty well without the big nob on the end like the Accuracy Rifle Systems guns.

Anybody shot a Target model Mini without the dampener?

·
Registered
127 Posts
12oz for the dampner according to my kitchen scale. My (Ca. version)target didn't group , so group size wasn't affected by the weight at all. Stock to reciever fit was atrocious from the factory resulting in 10" groups at 100 yds, regardless of ammo. I suspect Ruger does absolutely zero extra fitting to the Hogue's on Target models.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do anything to fix the poor grouping and if so, what did you do and how did it turn out? I have a 582 SS with the Hogue stock and am getting 100yd 1.25" groups with 40gr V-Max and 1.5-2" groups with the 55 & 60gr SPs. I'd rather hunt with the heavier bullets but my gun likes the V-Max & Ballistic tips. I am/was toying with getting a Target model under the assumption that they inherently shoot better but you have blown away that assumption.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I can only speak about my Ca. Target. I have no experience with the thumbhole versions. I eventually sent mine to GunDoc, who chopped the barrel down to 18" and restocked and bedded it, did a trigger job etc. Then I had it rechambered to Wylde. It shoots great now, although it doesn't like 69 gr and up loads at all, despite the 1-9 twist. Other Target owners claim excellent results with the 69 gr loads however. Anyway, I think you'd be better off re-barreling your 582 than buying a Target, I'm pretty sure you can go as fast as 1-7 that way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was wondering how well the Mini Target model shot without the barrel tuner on the front. I'm thinking group size.

It looks to me the dampener allows you to tune the barrel to the load rather than tune the load to the barrel. The Hogue stocked models weigh 8.5 lbs vs 6.75 lbs for the Hogue stocked SS Ranch. I'm guessing the dampener could weigh 1/2-3/4 lb.

It seems a heavy barrelled Mini ought to shoot pretty well without the big nob on the end like the Accuracy Rifle Systems guns.

Anybody shot a Target model Mini without the dampener?
Its going to depend on the rounds you shoot, but its unlikely you will get groupings as good as with the dampener on and adjusted for the particular rounds your firing. Whether the precision without the dampener is good enough for you depends on what you find acceptable. It will vary from rifle to rifle as well just due to manufacturing tolerances.

The goal using the dampener is to find the rate of muzzle rise and the amplitude of the muzzle rise (due to recoil and pressure wave forces) that compensates for the variation in muzzle velocity.

If you could fully isolate a barrel from recoil forces you would find that the shots string vertically due to the variation in muzzle velocity.

But in a regular rifle without recoilless operation, the barrel will flex. The length of the barrel, its stiffness, and the time the bullet takes to reach the muzzle will determine if the round exits during that flex while the muzzle is ascending or descending. If it exits with the muzzle ascending there can be some compensation that reduces or eliminates the stringing effect. If it exits with the muzzle descending the stringing is exascerbated.

A really good explanation can be found at Using barrel vibrations to tune a barrel

Because the rate of muzzle movement can change the amount of compensation you get, it is possible to "tune" the barrel. Some people will cut their barrel and find a length that suits particular ammunition. Some load their own and find a round that best suits that rifle for the given barrel length.

The Target model offers a weight at the end. The mere presence of that weight will slow the rate of muzzle movement compared to without it, but maybe not to the point of maximum compensation. Moving the weight will change the rate of movement, so it is possible to tune it to maximize compensation of muzzle velocity variation.

Without the tuner, you accept the inherent barrel response. You might get lucky, but you probably won't.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In theory, at least. Let's just say the fit between barrel and weight, and the use of 4 set screws to secure said weight in position leave alot to be desired. And in Ca. config at least, the barrel and weight are the only differences between a Target and a regular SS Ranch with a Hogue. No special fitting, tuning, trigger work, nothing. So you have all the variables of a regular Mini, plus the added variable of the weight to deal with. So, IMO, one would be better off buying a slightly used Mini and having it rebarreled and tuned yourself. That way you end up with a much better running (and handling undoubtedly) gun with a superior aftermarket barrel in your choice of twist, instead of having to tune your Target anyway and then being stuck with Ruger's substandard "heavy" barrel in 1/9.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with those who say to just get a regular Mini. I had a Target model and really considered taking off the dampener and cutting the barrel, but eventually just traded it off for a SS Ranch plus cash. I used the extra cash to get Mo Rod and Reaper. I like having iron sights and being able to shoot 5.56 as well. Personally with no trigger job, saw no real difference between the two and adjusting the dampener was more trouble than it was worth since I shoot mostly cheap Federal bulk. I'll probably get a bolt rifle for more precision shooting.

If you already have the Target model though and can't find someone to trade or don't want to deal with selling/trading, I think taking off the dampener and cutting the barrel is still an interesting prospect. I know someone on the forum already did that with good results. It'd def cost you more if you want irons though. Originally I was just goin to go the scout rail configuration.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, installing a good front sight would be a pain. Not a problem for me 'cause I'm not hitting too many ground squirrels at 300 yards with iron sights at my age.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, installing a good front sight would be a pain. Not a problem for me 'cause I'm not hitting too many ground squirrels at 300 yards with iron sights at my age.
The only easy solution I've found was to get the Arm's Room front sight that attaches to the gas block

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunamisnc,
Thanks for that link. It was a very good lead. I'm seriously considering just sending my rifle off to ARS and getting it rebarreled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts