Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what do the ammunition supplies look like?

I live about an hours drive from the academy in Lufkin and Beaumont. If at all possible, I would rather not drive an hour for the shelves to be empty.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
If so, what do the ammunition supplies look like?

I live about an hours drive from the academy in Lufkin and Beaumont. If at all possible, I would rather not drive an hour for the shelves to be empty.
Hi Kevin;

Don't know about the Texas ones you named, but the Academy Sports here in Arkansas get cleaned out of the fighting calibers pretty quickly when it shows. .22LR is not to be found anywhere, either. Store clerks all swear that there are lines of people waiting for when the ammo shows, so early in the day is the only time to look.

The local Academy started rationing 5.56x45, 9x19, and all standard cap mags that come in the door - 2x per customer. When it shows, they're still allowing Russian 7.62x39 to be sold in larger quantities for now but it goes FAST. I figured things would slow down during the time between Jan 3 and Jan 22, but I figured wrong. Just got an order of Herters' 7.62x39 in from Cabelas today, but the fact is that a. I overpaid a bit and b. this may be the end of the line for imported 7.62x39 if the dear leader issues the wrong EO, so I didn't care.

Call first, see if they have it, if they're rationing it (an hour's drive to get 2x boxes seems a bit much), and if they'll hold some boxes for you if you decide to go in anyway - don't know if it'll work or not, but I would try it if I was facing an hour's drive each way. Other'n that, I can't think of anything else to do except mail order it and figure the extra $$/box of mail order beats the cost of 2 hour's driving worth of gasoline that may net you scratch.

Good luck and all the best,
Grumpy

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kevin;

Don't know about the Texas ones you named, but the Academy Sports here in Arkansas get cleaned out of the fighting calibers pretty quickly when it shows. .22LR is not to be found anywhere, either. Store clerks all swear that there are lines of people waiting for when the ammo shows, so early in the day is the only time to look.
My wife and I went to walmart this morning in the hopes they received a shipment last night.

The lady at the sporting goods counter told me and customer said they had gone to a local academy first thing that morning, and there were 70 people standing in line outside the front doors.

As soon as the doors opened everyone went straight to the ammo section. Within minutes the shelves were empty.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I went to two Academys on monday, all semi rifles, mags, and ammo 556 762 545 308, all gone... it sucks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They have ammo Kev but if your looking for 9mm, 223, 7.62x39, 40 S&W, 45 ACP or 308, your porbably going to be out of luck. They ahve generally had more ammo than the 5 local wally worlds here I visted on patrol the other night had by far.

Wally Worlds are getting ammo in they are just selling it quiet literally off the load cart before they can get it on the shelf. In fact its so bad here some are limiting you to two boxes only or You can get 5-6 boxes but only 2 of those boxes can be the same UPC Code depending on the store you patronize. Dont know if your seeing that down in your area or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here in my hometown in South Louisiana for the last 3 weeks, especially for 22 ammo. It's bone dry.

Maybe after everyone settles down and realizes it's all politics, the shelves will return to normal.

Guns ain't going away. Even the most liberal Dems know it.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Update

Well, its been over a week since the last posting and I'm not seeing much change at Academy. They still get ammo in the mornings, and it blows right back out by the afternoon. I did luck out and score two boxes of 5.56x45 and a box of 9x19 124gr NATO, by going there every day, but no joy on the .22LR. Have to get there first thing in the morning, when I'm at work. According to one of the clerks, they actually got over 100 boxes of .22LR in that morning, and all of it was gone within 3 hours.

My guess is that the shortage of .22LR will last for at least another 3 months from the backorders I'm seeing at the wholesalers, and could go all the way through the end of the summer months. Only stuff I'm seeing available for backorder is imported. Wally World got some in Friday, but it was not even going in the case, it was going so fast. I got my ration of one box of CCI minimags, first ones I've seen since the panic started.

One weird bright spot is that the .40 S&W appears relatively plentiful in this neck of the woods. Not sure about nationwide, but both Wally World and Academy had it in reasonable quantity on Friday night. Figures I don't own a single .40.

All the best,
Grumpy
PS Friend of mine up north reports that $16/box is the going rate for M193 ball back there - and I thought I was paying too much at $9/box at Academy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
A few days ago I was at an Academy in Spring (N of Houston) and the guy behind the counter said there is 308 and 223 but they have it at the customer service desk and are rationing it. I ordered some 308 from Ammunition to Go but they are back-logged 24-26 days in shipping and have stopped walk-up orders.

I am thinking that things will calm down before Summer and stocks will be replenished (just wishful thinking mostly) but that doesnt mean prices will calm down.

Check out Ammo Seeker...great website for internet ordering of ammo.
Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com

Cheers

JB

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
A few days ago I was at an Academy in Spring (N of Houston) and the guy behind the counter said there is 308 and 223 but they have it at the customer service desk and are rationing it. I ordered some 308 from Ammunition to Go but they are back-logged 24-26 days in shipping and have stopped walk-up orders.

I am thinking that things will calm down before Summer and stocks will be replenished (just wishful thinking mostly) but that doesnt mean prices will calm down.

Check out Ammo Seeker...great website for internet ordering of ammo.
Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com

Cheers

JB
Hi JB;

My guess is that gun prices will come down a bit - friend of mine owns a gun store and while people still are asking silly high prices for AR's AK's etc they're not getting takers now. I even expect some resales in the secondary market about March - early April timeframe when people who spent too much have to pay their taxes so liquidate, possibly at a loss.

Ammo is another thing entirely. I really think that at least part of this is DHS placing bigger buying orders than usual. The ammo market is an odd thing, in that a huge volume of ammo is produced and burned every year - but the lead time in tooling up for more production is long, and the losses that can be incurred by over-producing are painful so most ammo makers would rather err on the side of caution (i.e. not enough ammo and they're still in business, huge unsold inventory = bad). By placing a stress on the market in terms of extra DHS orders and the stress of the Dear Leader's gun grab, we're seeing hoarding and shortages. Since the main things I'm seeing available on the backorder market are imported, it is my guess that local production is maxed out and spoken for.

So I think that the July-August timeframe for ammo to return to normal seems likely to me. Of course I could always be wrong. For all I know we'll be under continuous gun grab attacks for the next 4 years and this is the new normal.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
602 Posts
Which ones did you go to?
The two I frequant are in San Antonio off I-410. Last time I was in about a week ago the guys at the gun counter told me they had to change up delivery times due to threats made by individuals wanting to know when the trucks come in. I'm still seeing AKs ARs and mini-14s in pawn shops but prices are still +50% what they were before madness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts