Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go, but I am not spending any of my stock pile now.

If I go I have to buy ammo at the range.

Are they out as well like everyone else?

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I went to Wally World on Saturday and the ammo shelves were barren. I gave up on buying any. Can't buy components either since Midway won't sell to NY State residents anymore. So I am going to spend a few bucks and start making my own. When ammo is in short supply I just shoot my other rifles, 45 LC, 45-70, and 30-06. Have lots of components to load and load again. Now that any ammo I buy would have to be reported to the state, I will just not buy any. My investment in reloading is paying off big time. Next step is bullets.

·
Registered
833 Posts
We have seen this all before. This will pass eventually and things will return to ABnormal. I was only into shooting on a casual basis before the last great scare and resulting shortages. I was a reloader and when I realized that my M94 Winchester was now my "tactical carbine" I started stocking up on all the loaded ammo and components I could find. That was a real scavenger hunt! I bought my mini 14 in 2009 and had to start all over again. I stumbled into the LGS and saw a wood and blued ranch and immediately bought it for $799 when you couldn't find them anywhere. They went down considerably a year later but I didn't mind.When the supply catches up with demand all the prices will come down. Just sit on your hands and wait it out.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I went yesterday. Only shot 40 rounds of .223 and 12 rounds out of my carry .357. Just enough to keep my skill set up. I have ammo stockpiled but those high round count
range practice sessions are going to wait until ammo can be replaced.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Same here. We have a lot of tula and a couple hundred assorted brass for my mini and my dads AR, but we arent shooting it. Right now were just waiting til our 223 dies, shellholder, etc. come in.

Yesterday we did go and shoot our 45's and I brought my 22 lever. Thank god I got my dad a reloading turret for christmas. We just got the stuff for reloading 45 before the shelfs were all empty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
went a couple weeks ago. We took a garand, AK, PSL, 2 .45's a .22 9mm glock and a broomhandle mauser in 9mm. Its been so long since Ive shot I told my friend I didnt care if I didnt come home with any ammo that I took. We only shot about 150 rounds out of the 1911's, but the next time I went to wal mart they had a 100 round box so I replaced most of what I shot. The garand only went thru 4 clips, 4 mags on the AK, but I got a smokin deal recently on a ak and ammo.
But, I think the next trip will be mainly .22's and maybe the PSL. jim

·
Registered
447 Posts
We have seen this all before. This will pass eventually and things will return to ABnormal. I was only into shooting on a casual basis before the last great scare and resulting shortages. I was a reloader and when I realized that my M94 Winchester was now my "tactical carbine" I started stocking up on all the loaded ammo and components I could find. That was a real scavenger hunt! I bought my mini 14 in 2009 and had to start all over again. I stumbled into the LGS and saw a wood and blued ranch and immediately bought it for $799 when you couldn't find them anywhere. They went down considerably a year later but I didn't mind.When the supply catches up with demand all the prices will come down. Just sit on your hands and wait it out.
Yes about 3 years

·
Registered
344 Posts
Went yesterday and shot offhand with a bolt action 22 and a bolt action Swiss K30. I actually did better with the K31 to my surprise.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Guys - if you have a sports authority in your town or nearby it might be worth a look.

they stick with national pricing even in this tough time -and won't gouge you.

noticed 20-30 boxes of 30.30 and a dozen or so .45 acp on the shelf yesterday at my local SA and it was the same price it was two months ago.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I went the Friday before last and the main thing that will stop me from going this Friday, tomorrow, is the weather. I think the high is supposed to be 30. We'll see.

However I am a little more careful about what type of ammo and how much I am shooting until the situation improves. I will concentrate a little less on the ARs, AKs etc. and a work a little more other things that haven't been as impacted by this mess.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My range is also a gun shop and they have ammo but no 7.62 and no .22. Most other calibers are available at a somewhat higher price than pre-panic. They are still allowing people to order 900 round cans of .223.

I found 7.62 at another local gun shop at $7 and change but limit 2 boxes. They had 3 cartons just about full. I tried to get 5 but I could only get 2.

I just broke down my mini 30 a few days ago for a very thorough cleaning so I need to sight my scope back in. I can leave the base on but the scope has to come off for the top piece to clear.

I will be out at the range by saturday at the latest. If I get fed up enough painting these heads I may go tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Guys - if you have a sports authority in your town or nearby it might be worth a look.

they stick with national pricing even in this tough time -and won't gouge you.

noticed 20-30 boxes of 30.30 and a dozen or so .45 acp on the shelf yesterday at my local SA and it was the same price it was two months ago.
This is not a joke.. your sports authority sells ammo??

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
This is not a joke.. your sports authority sells ammo??
it sure does... they sell long guns too
including evil black AR rifles with full cap mags, and Minis :) they were fresh out of those though...

they usually have the best price on calibers I shoot, get most of my blasting ammo there.

for hunting ammo, I usually go to one of the couple local gun shops on the Island.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
it sure does... they sell long guns too
including evil black AR rifles with full cap mags, and Minis :) they were fresh out of those though...

they usually have the best price on calibers I shoot, get most of my blasting ammo there.

for hunting ammo, I usually go to one of the couple local gun shops on the Island.
Our local sports authority dont sell ammo. At best i can buy a safe or lockbox

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Sports Authority here in Nevada sells guns and ammo.
Interesting. Nearest Sports Authority to me is almost 3 hours away in Tulsa though, so even if their ammo availability and prices were good, the gas price alone would eat me alive. I'll remember it the next time I'm traveling though, thanks.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Interesting. Nearest Sports Authority to me is almost 3 hours away in Tulsa though, so even if their ammo availability and prices were good, the gas price alone would eat me alive. I'll remember it the next time I'm traveling though, thanks.

All the best,
Grumpy
my prices are slightly higher, (like a buck a box over what you pay) as I live in hawaii.

they sell Winchester ammo mostly.

My mini likes that Korean 5.56 M193 that Winchester sells in the white box.
I pay 11.95 a box for it... you'd pay 10.95 for it.

they had some win M855 too before the craze... 5.56/.223 is hard to get in hawaii right now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In Washington State Sports Authority just sells hunting rounds, no 223 or 5.56, and a lot of shot gun shells.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I've been out twice in the last week. I had to shot my new SR45 and put about 200 rounds through it with 1 FTF, other then that love it. Shot a little 9MM. Got a new 10/22, the Talo French walnut stock one so had to shoot that too. 22LR is hit or miss, I scored 2 525 round bricks at one shop and a 500 round at another. Of coarse after putting a flash hider, accu-strut and Tec sight on the mini-14 I had to zero that, so there was 60 rounds. Lastly I had to zero my GSR with Leapold scope so I put some brass through that as well.
I am still able to find 9MM, 45ACP, and 308 pretty easy. 22LR is hit or miss and 223/5.56 is MIA. Luckily I got a bunch of PMC 223 this summer at 4.99 a box and stocked up, not out of paranoia but just because it was a good deal.
Good luck out there and try and have some fun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts