Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An elderly relative has a S&W Model 60 Ladysmith revolver. She has started having trouble firing it double action. I've slicked it up a bit inside and I think it has a pretty good feeling double action trigger.

Are there any new small frame revolvers that have relatively light double action trigger pulls? I haven't bought any revolvers for a few years so I don't know if there are any out there with lighter triggers than the Smiths.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Get a set of Wolff aftermarket springs for it and the trigger will lighten up. That way she'll have a gun she's already familiar with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a set of Wolff aftermarket springs for it and the trigger will lighten up. That way she'll have a gun she's already familiar with.
Thanks Larry. I'm not sure that a set of springs will get me there. I put a set of springs in a Smith 442 and did a little stoning inside of it and that trigger still felt a little heavier than this Model 60 Ladysmith.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The problem with the small revolvers with coil springs, it is difficult to obtain a reliable hammer strike to set off factory ammo. You can tinker with the trigger return spring and it will help a lot. Polishing the rebound slide at specific points will help.
My S&W M60-10 has a 7# pull, but I handload and use Federal primers. They are the easiest of all the primers to detonate. And there has been some work done on the trigger group. Unfortunately, the wife laid claim.
The K and L frame with the leaf spring can be really be lightened and slicked up, but they are heavier.
A medium size auto such as a 380 in a striker fired pistol could be the answer. Quite a few are simple in that there are no safeties, just the trigger pull as in a revolver.These triggers are usually around 5 pounds and very manageable recoil.

Reactions: grumpy_old_man

·
Registered
927 Posts
Any Old School S&W revolver made before circa 1980. The older the better, they just seem smooth as velvet.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
It's hard to beat a SW. But I still like my SP101 better. But I've done work on it and had work done on it.
I would stick with the M60 your relative has and have it cleaned up some more by a gunsmith who knows what they're doing. They can be made as smooth as butter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Contrary to popular wisdom, encourage her to dry fire her revolver hundreds of times every evening in front of the TV. This will do two things. It will smooth out the action of her revolver and develop strength in her grip and trigger finger. Both are desireable

I never do a trigger job on a revolver unless it has been dry fired several thousand times first.

·
Draw, Varmint!
778 Posts
Find a gunsmith with a glass bead polisher. Have him polish the inside of the frame and the relevant action parts. It'll make a big difference in the trigger pull. (That's what I did on my primo S&W Model 27; and every time I pull the trigger I'm amazed at how smoothly the gun fires.)

Old Smiths do double-action cycle very smoothly and very well. I spent the afternoon, today, double-action shooting my old Model 17 - Very sweet, very accurate revolver! If the guy who was standing next to me reads this ....... No, it's still not for sale! :D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I don't know how feasible it is for her to get out to a range and practice, but my brother, who won the Natl. police pistol championships back in the 70's , was a big believer in "two stage double action" firing. Basically, you squeeze the trigger fairly fast until the hammer is almost at it's rear ward travel and ready to drop, then you slow down and concentrate on your sight picture until the hammer falls. Shooting that way is as effective as shooting single action, with the added benefits of not having to shift your grip the thumb back the hammer, which aids in faster follow up shots. Just takes lots of practice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Teach her to cock the hammer back before each shot.

That will lighten the trigger in a hurry.

But, you need training to be safe with single action revolver shooting....

Try to avoid cocking the gun and touching the trigger until you are ready to fire.

·
Grumpy MAGA man.
232 Posts
Gotta agree and rave about the trigger on Ruger LCRs. I've got the .357 version and the wifey has the .38+P version, and good lord the triggers are sweet right out of the box! My scale says its pulling 8 lbs, but because of the patented cam system it feels like 4-5 lbs with no loading up. Beats the heck out of any other small frame revolver out there, if you are comparing them right out of the box. Felt recoil feels way less than any other light frame revolvers I've ever tried...and even the .357, while it certainly barks and kicks, is controllable and doesn't beat the heck out of your hand.

Kev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any Old School S&W revolver made before circa 1980. The older the better, they just seem smooth as velvet.
I have to agree with you on that.
My Stepfather passed away recently and I was given his old model 10 S&W and it has to have one of the smoothest double action triggers I have ever felt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts