1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A shor list of the ones I use from time to time are;
Finnish Mosin Nagant M-91's and M-91/30's
Australian Lee Enfield #1 MkIII*
Swede M-96 with an Aimpoint mounted on a B-Square scout mount.
Agentine cavalry carbine.

But this year I plan to take my Russian M91-39 sniper rifle. It shoots as good as my modern hunting rifles.

------------------
Parallax

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've hunted with an as issued G or K 43 since
about 1959. I've had several different rifles in that period. I now have a G in 8mm and a K rebarrelled to 308. I keep a G33/40 mountain carbine in camp just in case my primary sheds an extractor or something else happens. These can be tempermental sometimes

Sarge

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used my 03 Turk last fall and killed a small buck with Remington Cor Loc's. Now my collection has grown to several calibers and my 6.5x55 Swede 96 may get to go with me. I reload now for 8mm and the 6.5 so I have alot of options in bullet weight and design. So far I like Noslers Ballistic Tip.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I sort of hunt with a milsurp, in that my favorite rifle for the past few years has been my Ruger 6.5x55 Swede. Since I started hanging around at Parallax's my mind has been corrupted and I started collecting a few of the old relics. This year I definately plan on giving one or two of them a try. Maybe my VZ24 or 08 Brazilian. Can't see the fool rear sight on the 38 Turk well enough to consider it right now. Also got an 09 Argie Calvary on the way.....so who can say which one gets its trigger pulled but you can bet that at least one or two will go to deer camp this year.

Nice forum you have here and the best of luck with it. Thanks for the tip to come visit here Parallax.

Swede

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well here in ohio only shotguns are allowed for deer. But I,ve used a spiffed up 6.5 swede for our groundhogs and it works very well. I think this round and rifle are about the most accurate of the Mausers.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
You should add a Remington Model 12 (I think that was it!) to your collection.

It's Remintons version of the Browning A5. Used as a trench gun. Make a great deer shotgun in Ohio (grin).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Still wishin I would have bought one of the A-5,s Southern Ohio Guns had for sale a while back. They had military 20'' tube exc. cond. and new park job. I think for around 375.00. I still wonder where they found em at.Oh well ya just can,t buyem all. I don,t see many model 12,s at shows here any more. I,ve had an 1100 REM. for many years now. Its been pretty good to me.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
I've got an old Belgian A5, full length barrel, 12g, field grade gun. Very nice, although I'm tempted to make a combat shotgun out of it. I acquired it with a bulged barrel (someone shooting steel shot, or forgetting about a cleaning patch?), about an inch from the muzzle, so the barrel has little value.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i occasionally use a sporterized No.4 MkII for deer hunting, its a Long Branch model, i put a Ram-Line synthetic stock on it, and am well pleased with how it handles, makes a great light wieght foul weather rifle, the peeps are plenty accurate for the way i shoot and hunt, if i do my part, the Enfield will deliver 1" groups, cant ask for much more than that, I feel the Enfield is overlooked by alot of hunters and shooters these days, they may be a tad ugly but they are dependable and they are ussually cheap in the gun shops, a good one can be bought for around a 100 bucks...gutpile

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if this counts but my current favorite deer rifle is a 03-A3 that was sporterised apparently many years years ago. It wears a nice walnut stock and a 2 1/2 pwr Lyman scope. Shoots where it looks. Decent trigger. I have "too many" deer rifles, its the one I feel the most confident with even with the low X scope. Best of all it was a garage sale find, less that $200. Chris:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I killed my first buck with a 7.5mm French MAS-49 I dont recommend it for real hunting though, it kicked like a bastard was inacurate and you needed a prybar to open the action, my dad needed a gun for me, and since we weren't rich and I was the youngest.............. My other brothers had a M1 carbine and a 30-30 Marlin, dad shot a 03 A3 sporterized , a gun I still will hunt with from time to time. My son will hunt with newer, not necessarily better weapons.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I plan on taking my SKS, Mosin, and CETME, out this year. Don't much care if I get a deer, just like to walk around in the woods with my old guns. If one happens by I can count on any of those to make an accurate shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I killed my first deer with a 6.5mm Swedish Mouser. I paid $60 for the gun, cut the barrel to 24" on a lath, drill and tapped the reciever for a scope, and bent the bolt. It wasn't the prettiest deer rifle in the camp, but it didn't seem to matter to the deer, he fell just as good as he would for a expensive rifle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.