Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here own one of the newer 581 series Mini 30 Tactical models with factory flash hider? If so have you had any FTF, FTE, Firing pin issues or reliability issues? What about accuracy? I have a 581 Mini 14 but am thinking of selling it and getting the 30 so I can share ammo with my AK's.
Thanks--

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anyone here own one of the newer 581 series Mini 30 Tactical models with factory flash hider? If so have you had any FTF, FTE, Firing pin issues or reliability issues? What about accuracy? I have a 581 Mini 14 but am thinking of selling it and getting the 30 so I can share ammo with my AK's.
Thanks--
Mine is still pretty new, runs great with the more expensive brass-cased ammo...Fiocchi, WWB, PMC, reloads. Accuracy, looks like it wants to shoot into 2MOA or less with the right ammo. I have no intention of shooting steel case stuff through it, as I have lots of brass and will reload.

Shoots soft, ejects empties about 6-8 feet, and is easy on the brass.

Folks get fail-to-fire on occasion with the steel, so I wouldn't use it for serious social encounters, just plinking.

Some here seem to think steel cases with berdan priming will shorten the life of the firing pin. I just save the steel to shoot in my AKs.

M

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I have been able to get cosistant performance with Silver bear softpoints. At about $5 per box of 20, not bad. Wolf DOES NOT WORK in a mini 30, about 50% FTF in my 581. Yugo brass case surplus also works great - but is corrosive primed, so clean your gun after shooting. Good luck

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I have been able to get cosistant performance with Silver bear softpoints. At about $5 per box of 20, not bad. Wolf DOES NOT WORK in a mini 30, about 50% FTF in my 581. Yugo brass case surplus also works great - but is corrosive primed, so clean your gun after shooting. Good luck
+1
so far the only cheap stuff that goes pop every time for me is the silver bear 123grn SP.
too bad I can't get it in Hawaii. (I bought 200 rounds of it in Detroit, and flew it home in my luggage. wish I could get more)

I found that federal powershock 123 grn SP shoots real well (thats my hunting round.)

·
Registered
271 Posts
My M30 is the stainless version. So far the ammo that works reliably is WWB, mil surplus, & Golden Bear SP or HP. Tula & Wolf are 4-5 FTF's per box of 20. It's annoying as hell, fortunately I have a Saiga in 7.62 to solve that problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i wanted to buy a mini 30 becuse i wanted something to shoot the 7.62x39rd and i love my mini 14. after reading about these failures to fire i decided to go in a different direction & went with a sig 556 r. well that was a $1100 mistake, as i am having the same problems with my sig, it shoots silver bear, & anything brass reailibly. with brown bear i have about 10% failures, with wolf poly & wolf military clasic about 20%. the only difference is sig says that it should shoot steel cased ammo and they will stand behind it, but at first they weren't going to & then changed their mind. their is a youtube video by strumgewehr having all the same problems as i am. sniper cowboy i hope this isn't a thread hijack, i just wanted to share & hope if somebody else thinks about ging with the sig 556 r they at least know what they are getting, plus i wish i would have just went with the mini 30.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i wanted to buy a mini 30 becuse i wanted something to shoot the 7.62x39rd and i love my mini 14. after reading about these failures to fire i decided to go in a different direction & went with a sig 556 r. well that was a $1100 mistake, as i am having the same problems with my sig, it shoots silver bear, & anything brass reailibly. with brown bear i have about 10% failures, with wolf poly & wolf military clasic about 20%. the only difference is sig says that it should shoot steel cased ammo and they will stand behind it, but at first they weren't going to & then changed their mind. their is a youtube video by strumgewehr having all the same problems as i am. sniper cowboy i hope this isn't a thread hijack, i just wanted to share & hope if somebody else thinks about ging with the sig 556 r they at least know what they are getting, plus i wish i would have just went with the mini 30.
I love my mini 30, but I see my local Mills Fleet Farm store is running a special on AK's for $434 or 464.00 with 4 30 round mags......the AK may not be a bad buy. Check their ad turn ad pages till you see it, I think on page 4.

Mills Fleet Farm -Weekly Ad

·
Registered
119 Posts
i just ordered a arsnenal sgl 71 it's black with the nato length stock. i hope to pick it up next weekend. i will probably sell the sig for a loss, but i will tell them that it doesn't like wolf poly or military clasic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to hear that about the Sigs. I have a 556 and was hoping to get a 7.62 version that used the AK mags in the next few weeks. May just go with another AK for now, Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
455 Posts
I hate to hear that about the Sigs. I have a 556 and was hoping to get a 7.62 version that used the AK mags in the next few weeks. May just go with another AK for now, Thanks for the replies
Well, the AK is cheaper, but it's also not made as well as the Mini30. I'll keep my M30 any day over an AK.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't comparing the AK to the Mini-- it was a Sig I said I would pass on and get another AK.

As far as the Mini 30- I am looking at one that I can hunt with and throw in the truck.

I do think the Mini looks better than a AK but as far as being built better? -- the AK is one of the toughest rifles out there period. I have a Mini 14 tactical, a few AR's, and a few AK's. The AK's are the toughest of the bunch. No comparison. But the Mini has a style of it's own.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sniper, I have a stainless M-30 that I bought last April. In the last year I have put 1500 rounds though it and have never had a failure of any kind. I use both the 5rd and 20rd Ruger mags and they have been just as reliable as the M-30 has.
My M-30 shoots all 20 in the 2-1/2" range at 100 and scoped its under 2 MOA. For the range that I would/will hunt with it thats more than enough seeing as 2MOA gives a 6" vital hit on a deer at 300 yards. Not that I plan to shoot that far but I'm confident that the M-30 will do its job.
As for the truck gun part, I think that with its durability and the x39s capabilities you would be hard pressed to find a better candidate. I know I am :lol:
The Mini-30 has FAR surpassed all my expectations and has become the carbine I grab every time I head out the door to shoot!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sniper, I have a stainless M-30 that I bought last April. In the last year I have put 1500 rounds though it and have never had a failure of any kind. I use both the 5rd and 20rd Ruger mags and they have been just as reliable as the M-30 has.
My M-30 shoots all 20 in the 2-1/2" range at 100 and scoped its under 2 MOA. For the range that I would/will hunt with it thats more than enough seeing as 2MOA gives a 6" vital hit on a deer at 300 yards. Not that I plan to shoot that far but I'm confident that the M-30 will do its job.
As for the truck gun part, I think that with its durability and the x39s capabilities you would be hard pressed to find a better candidate. I know I am :lol:
The Mini-30 has FAR surpassed all my expectations and has become the carbine I grab every time I head out the door to shoot!
Thanks-- good info there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks-- good info there.
Not sure where your from but your free to have as much range time with my M-30 as you would like.... I'm in Co but will be in NM and AZ a bunch the next couple of months...
If your in the area feel free to PM and we can make arrangements...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure where your from but your free to have as much range time with my M-30 as you would like.... I'm in Co but will be in NM and AZ a bunch the next couple of months...
If your in the area feel free to PM and we can make arrangements...
Thanks for the offer but I am in Ga. A little far for a range trip--lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wasn't comparing the AK to the Mini-- it was a Sig I said I would pass on and get another AK.

As far as the Mini 30- I am looking at one that I can hunt with and throw in the truck.

I do think the Mini looks better than a AK but as far as being built better? -- the AK is one of the toughest rifles out there period. I have a Mini 14 tactical, a few AR's, and a few AK's. The AK's are the toughest of the bunch. No comparison. But the Mini has a style of it's own.
I have killed a lot of pigs with my M30. The biggest weakness is the optics you'll put on it.

IMHO I think its one tough little gun. Its all academic and opinion, but the AKs made of stampings and the Mini's are forgings/castings for the major parts. Lord knows there are plenty of AKs and alls its variants in the world, proving this vastly successful and cheap to build weapon. I really think the Mini will outlast an equal amount of (normal) use, though, but thats just my opinion.

I'll just keep shooting my piggies. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts