Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intrigued by the Ranch Products Scout Scope Mount for awhile now. After calling them directly and speaking with Mr. Steven Crawford, the president of Ranch Products, I confirmed that they currently do not produce a mount for the 580-up heavy/tapered-barrel Minis.

I ordered one anyway, determined to make it fit. Received it Friday, and went right to work cutting, grinding, and filing to get it right. Only after all of that did I realize that the bolt pattern is different (wider, i.e., further from barrel centerline) on the new Minis. Damn.

Shot Mr. Crawford an email, offering to "donate" my gas block and top strap -- albeit temporarily -- to the cause, if it meant he would be able to produce this fine product to fit the popular new rifles "out of the box." He replied, saying he'd send me a Mini-30 mount to try out. If the pattern on the "old" 30 is the same as the "new" Minis, this may be a huge step in the right direction.

For purposes of attempting to drive this project forward, how many would be interested in this mount?

(Borrowed from ASI's website -- mount replaces gas block top strap, disregard all the other tacticool doodads...)

FWIW, retail price from Ranch Products is currently $45 for stainless. Not sure on the price for the black oxide pieces... (And ASI wants, what, $80 plus?!)

·
Registered
143 Posts
It looks like its way too far forward for a scout scope or even a red dot sight. Plus, can you remove the hand guard? The price is great, maybe a handgun scope would work way out there, but then that adds a lot of muzzle weight too.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the handguard can be removed. It may take a little filing in some places, but nothing that's visible when installed.

As for the eye relief, I haven't measured it just yet (can't find my damn measuring tape... :lol:), but it is a Weaver-style base, so it'll accept offset rings, if necessary, to overcome both the eye relief and any muzzle-heaviness issues.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Received the Mini-30 mount, and it fits perfectly -- screw spacing and barrel channel are exact.

One quick question:

What's the diameter of the new Mini-30 barrel, at the gas block (just behind the flange)? Also, since I don't have any calipers, does anyone know the diameter of the 580-up Mini-14 barrel at the same point?

Trying to figure out if there's even a need for different barrel channel diameters on the newer rifles...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
can you post pics and a little review, I am intrigued but this little mount but can't find anything about it really
I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Don't have a scope mounted yet (lack of funds...), but I will say that it's a good-looking mount. Iron sights can be used with no problem.

The only issue I see is that, like someone mentioned above, it's difficult (not impossible, but not easy) to remove/install the handguard with the mount installed. I'm going to cut a relief in my Choate handguard to make it easier to deal with.

EDITED TO ADD PICS:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Modified my Choate handguard tonight. Five minutes with a Dremel, followed by five minutes with a Handy file, and I think it looks pretty good -- not to mention it can now be removed and reinstalled without having to be ultra-careful...

Oh, and a couple of pics showing that the iron sights are, in fact, useable with the mount installed:

EDIT: I know the mount looks crooked in the sight pics. It's not permanently installed (yet), as I'm expecting a couple of "prototypes" from Ranch Products. Permanent installation will involve LocTite and double (triple) checking that everything's in perfect alignment.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my Simmons ProHunter 2-6x32 Handgun Scope today and mounted it with some Warne Low Weaver Rings. Threw on some BC Scope Caps and a Tenebraex KillFlash and got it boresighted. It's still a bit high, even with the internal elevation adjustment maxed out, but I'm thinking that re-torquing the mount will fix that.

Anyhow, on to the pic:

I know it looks muzzle-heavy, but it doesn't feel that way. The scope only weighs 9.7 oz., and the weight is pretty well centered over the forearm of the stock, making it feel steadier off-hand.

EDIT: Just as I suspected, the mount needed a bit more grinding and filing. My handiwork with the Dremel and file left a burred edge at the front of the barrel channel, causing the mount to drop at the rear.

Note this isn't a problem with the mount, per se, but rather an oversight on my part while modifying it to fit my 580. Now the scope is right on the mark, as far as my Site Lite sight-in program shows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts