Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any hot deals on quality .223 ammo?? Want to buy a couple cases for my Mini-14. Thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get acopy of "Shotgun News" and look for the South African packed in battlepacks.Aside from a few dented casings(VERY few) it works well and the cost isn't that bad.Would NOT recomend WOLF ammo,as it has shown itself to not work well in Mini-14's OR AR-15's.Here is a link from another posting for the South African ammo http://www.southernohiogun.com

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
WartHog, I shot a honest 3 inch group today using wolf ammo with my mini at 100 yards with nothing but a trashco red dot . Wolf ammo aint the best but it works.:D :ar15:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Warthog,

I bought a battle pack of the South African 1986 batch a couple of months ago for about $40. I believe it is Berdan primed. It is not especially clean, but it's not that bad. Good bang for your buck. Definitely worth buying if you like to plink :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey WartHhog. Ya might want to try a couple of boxes of several different kinds of ammo before buying quantity. Several members have tried Federal Lake City, and it shoots well, dosen't cost much, boxer primed, and made in the U.S. Most of the foreign stuff is berdian primed. In some mini's it shoots well, and not well in others. PMC's seem to have a lot of favorable posts. Some ammo will shoot 1/2 tighter groups, than other ammo. Your mini will let you know what it likes. Then shop for best price on that ammo for quantity. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a .223 ammo review you may find interesting. http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/html/_...23_reviews.html

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You might want to check out www.ammoman.com. They just announced a new shipment and limited (?) supply of:

223 SWISS FULL METAL JACKET (63 GRAIN) that comes in metal ammo cans, packaged and sealed, of 1990's vintage @ $199.00 for 1000 rds. Free shipping and NO tax.

Russian and other eastern block ammo cause me concern after doing a lot of reading in these forums, and the S African stuff doesn't give me the warm toasties either. I did see some good refereces about Swiss made ammo, and this is at least 10 - 20 years newer than some of the other imported stuff.

For a net price of $.199 per rd, I'm giving it a try. The 63 grain is supposed to work well with a 1 in 9" twist that the Mini 14's have too.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Are you looking for 5.56mm NATO or .223 Rem? If 5.56, the Fed LC XM193 is great, SA sealed battlepacked M193 is also great, and the Swiss stuff Eric (ammoman) has is also great! For .223 Rem, gotto Wally World and get the 40 pack of 55gr FMJ Winchester ammo for $7 something a box.......

·
Registered
164 Posts
AMMOMAN.COM has Federal Lake City 500 rnds for $109.00-shipping included and Sportsman Guide has about the same .

·
Been here forever.....
220 Posts
www.sportsmansguide.com is always worth a look for ammo. Also, I just got the NRA shooters catalog from Cabela's. It has some decent deals right now also. lower prices can be found, but sometimes i do like to buy from them. Keeps me on their mailing list. The Cabela's catalog is as good now as the JC Penny's christmas toy catalog was when I was a bit shorter. :)
Ultramax ammo is about $100 for 500 rounds, or Wolf is $114 for 1000 rounds. Black Hills ammo starts at about $80 for 300.

·
Been here forever.....
220 Posts
probly exactly the same, aside from the 2nd cover and letter that said they would give part of the profit to the nra foundation. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Natchez online has .223 lake city for $3.51 / box. Midsouth shooters has it for $3.45 a box. Other places want to sell a 1/2 or full case.:usa:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mikr-

The Natchez stuff is lot 3 and the midsouth shooters is lot 4.

Would this make a difference?? I plan on taking the general advice and shoot a small quantity before purchasing a large quantity.

Chris M

:usa: semper fi:usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Chris. In reguards to lot #, Reloaders like the same lot stuff (Cases, powder, bullets, and primers), Bench Rest shooters, demand it. The mini not being a tack driver, I wouldn't worry about it as much, but if you can get the same Lot # then I would.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts