Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put one on layaway and was wondering what kind of accuracy you guys have been getting. I'll be using handloads. I already know it's not a match rifle, just wondering what to expect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the SA-58 with premium cryo'ed barrel. They really aren't tack drivers but the DSA guns are excellent rifles none the less. I get about 3 " groups bagged and benched from 100.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The newer StGs have new US made barrels on them. I don't know how they stack up against the Austrian surplus barrels used in the past. The Austrian barrels were top-notch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The newer StGs have new US made barrels on them. I don't know how they stack up against the Austrian surplus barrels used in the past. The Austrian barrels were top-notch.
They don't - The Austrian (Steyr) barrels are unequaled by anything other than a high dollar custom turned barrel from a blank - I just bought a mint matching # STG kit & I've had a few DSA Type 2 receivers on order for months, can't wait to build it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
They don't - The Austrian (Steyr) barrels are unequaled by anything other than a high dollar custom turned barrel from a blank - I just bought a mint matching # STG kit & I've had a few DSA Type 2 receivers on order for months, can't wait to build it!
I've found that the Austrian barrels are more accurate than I am. I believe what you say about comparing them to a custom barrel. I wouldn't trade an StG barrel for anything else, even if the Steyr barrel isn't brand new.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 2 FALs. One is an STG 58 which is basicaly a Austrian parts gun built by DSA. The other is a DSA build with the medium contour barrel. The medium contour barrel is worth every extra penny you pay for it, it puts the rifle within reach of MOA territory. This barrel is distinctly superior to the Austrian barrels. The STG 58 is a battle rifle, the medium contour DSA is a precision rifle, albeit one with all of the FAL battle rugged features. I can get not quite MOA groups at 100 meters (1.1"), but then it gets better at 200, and holds MOA accuracy out to 300 meters, and excellent battle accuracy past that. With a DSA built FAL with either the medium contour or the heavy barrel you own the real estate out to an honest 800 meters. There are precision rifles that will do better of course, but outside of the FNAR or the odd M1A, not one of them is a semi auto that can keep cranking rounds out till you run out of loaded mags.
My STG 58 is 1.7 MOA at 100 meters, and will hold close to that way out there, I have not fired it at more than 600, and probably will never have to(hopefully).
I have not had experience with FALs outside of those 2 but I am told that Imbel is good also, and the grail of the FALs is the FN build rifle, although I do not see how one could do much better than the DSA rifles.
Of course if you want a precision FAL you give up the flash suppression and the other mil type stuff hanging off the barrel end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a DSA Steyr barrel FAL, and I have noticed that if I shoot handloads in it that are 168gr it shoots the best. The production 168gr rounds do ok but your regular surplus stuff and Winchester Walmart rounds are pitiful.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just put one on layaway and was wondering what kind of accuracy you guys have been getting. I'll be using handloads. I already know it's not a match rifle, just wondering what to expect.
An SA58 can be a match rifle if you configure it with a free-floated, heavy match barrel and either have a trigger job performed or have a "set" or "speed trigger" installed; DS Arms does both and I highly recommend choosing one or the other. Mine is an Israeli FAL with a heavy Badger match barrel and consistently shoots under 1 MOA, and sometimes 0.5 MOA, when I use Black Hills match ammo. Note: I use match-grade iron sights, as well. The rifle is all blackened stainless steel and weighs 14 lbs. empty.

PS: I also added a magpul PRS2 adjustable stock. And yes, this rifle cost over $3000, but I REALLY wanted one for high power competition.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The medium contour barrel I mentioned above from DSA is a match barrel and has no stuff hanging off the end , it does have ports machined into the barrel itself, but they do not degrade accuracy in any way. DSA offers 2 match type triggers one of which is a "set" trigger-which I do not like, the other is simply a much better trigger than usual for an FAL which I really like.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My SA58 is averaging about 1 - 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with open sights.

Hopefully when I get a cope that group can get a little tighter
You don't need a scope with that grouping. That's as good as many match rifles....with scopes.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
You don't need a scope with that grouping. That's as good as many match rifles....with scopes.
Yea, but when your deer hunting, those sights fade away as the sun starts to go down.

I thought about getting some tritium sights, but for about the same price I can get a scope.

I will probably get something like a redfield 3-9x40 for deer season, and I was thinking about an eotech for the off season and hog hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stg 58

I have a STG58 built by DSA. I use it open sighted only, and only out to 100y. Relatively accurate for open sights.Very Reliable and fun as hell to shoot, it will feed whatever I put into it. Many others and myself advise not using steel cased.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a all original except the required U.S. parts, new STG 58 built myself on a Gear Logo Imbel receiver.

It is extremely accurate! I can hit golf balls all day at 300 yards and put a 20 round mag in a pie plate at 800 yards using a 16 power scope.

Don't under estimate a good Fal rifle just because it is semi auto with a ridgid barrel.

A FAL will preform just as good as any high end bolt rifle.

If DSA built your rifle on a new barrel, you will be impressed with it's performance, ergonomics and handling. The FAL is the best .308 battle rifle out there.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Nice grouping Alamo. I had a CAI Cetme, that was an MOA rifle but I let a friend talk me out of it with a fist full of cash. I loved getting it all dialed in and smoothing the trigger out. The roller trunion locking action has a great history. HK mount on that red dot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
HK mount?

Nice grouping Alamo. I had a CAI Cetme, that was an MOA rifle but I let a friend talk me out of it with a fist full of cash. I loved getting it all dialed in and smoothing the trigger out. The roller trunion locking action has a great history. HK mount on that red dot?
Thanks, chili.
Not an HK mount. It's a DSA receiver cover with integral picatinny rail.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Oh, they weld on a rail for you. Got a picture of your piece? Cool rifles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts