Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 10/22 Target and have found that Green Mountain makes a 28" stainless steel bull barrel (___http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/rugertargetbarrels/10-22920sporterdiameterbarrels/ruger-10-22-920-bull-barrels-page/28--stainless-920-bull--barrel-22lr____).

I have read that most of the powder of a 22 is burned within 18-20" of chamber so my question is whether or not there is any advantage of a 28" barrel. Will it increase the velocity (re accuracy) of the bullet?

What are peoples experience/thoughts on installing this barrel?

What experiences do people have with the Green Mountain barrels in general. Company seems to have the best reputation amoung these forums.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Wizzzard

·
Registered
231 Posts
You are correct about the 18". I believe the extra 10" would be detrimental to velocity. If you are putting optics on the rifle, you will not need the barrel length. If you put iron sights on the rifle the longer sight radius may help a tad. If you are carrying this rifle from the vehicle to the bench, no problem. Otherwise, get the stubbie.

GM is like my E. R. Shaw. Both are very decent barrels. For the price:rolleyes:.

·
HeyMatthew.com
25 Posts
I think Red Cent summed it up nicely. It is my understanding from the research I've done that the longer barrels don't help much. If it were me, I'd consider a 20" barrel or less. I currently have a 16.5" TacSol fluted barrel on my 10/22 and it shoots really well. I had an 18" E.R.Shaw barrel on before the TS and it shot well with that also. I think the Shaw might have been slightly more accurate, but I was running a magnified scope and shooting bench-rested most of the time. I now have a 1x red dot and spend most of my time plinking off-hand.

I'd save on the size, weight and cost and go with the 20" or less.

Also, if you go with a longer barrel, I'd suggest getting a sporting or tapered barrel as opposed to the bull. It'll save on weight and keep the rifle from being so front heavy. The 22's won't recoil enough to make the extra forward weight worth it.

Hope this helps you out and if I'm way off base here, someone chime in and correct me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Solid HeyMtthew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts