Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator and Super Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing on the net or on the racks around my county, and I'd prefer to avoid a Gunbroker deal. I'm seeing a lot of reasonable ammo I'd hate to have go to waste by me not shooting it.

·
Registered
34,486 Posts
Nothing on the net or on the racks around my county, and I'd prefer to avoid a Gunbroker deal. I'm seeing a lot of reasonable ammo I'd hate to have go to waste by me not shooting it.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/TG_AK-74_5.45x39_Rifle.html

Early versions of these with wood furniture were reported to be poorly riveted yet otherwise good, but at least a couple of these latest ones have gotten overall positive reviews. The inconsistencies are certainly enough to warrant caution, especially at that price point. On the other hand, these are reported to be made from barely used Bulgarian kits including the original chromed barrels, and K-Var furniture. See thread in AK->Bulgarian section of arfcom for more.

I'm tempted but the price plus rivets complaints make it a tough call.

Added: OK, I'm seeing the exact same info on theakforum, including what sounds to me like reliable info indicating these new builds are much improved over the earlier ones. The only potential issue for some is that the muzzle brake is tack welded on.

Oh, and the last poster claims AIM only has one left. ;)

Yes I'd really really like it, and no, I'm not getting it. There'll be more.

·
Registered
34,486 Posts
Anyone considering one of these should also take a look at a thread titled
"What is up with bad welds on TG Bulgarian 74s?" in the AK->General Discussions section of arfcom. Don't know if this is another issue fixed with newer builds but is another cause for caution.

An interesting discussion of the caliber currently used by the Bulgarian military can be found in the Bulgarian section. It appears they may have transitioned to 5.56, which could explain the like new Bulgarian 74 kits showing up, and which also could indicate more in the future. Possibly better builds, too, one hopes.

Now why didn't I buy some of that 5.45 when it was $119?

·
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After seeing prices soar, all the guys that were stuffing crates of milsurp and other bulk ammo into their stashes don't seem quite so nuts as they did then...and I'm more or less a packrat of such things myself. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mark, Have you looked at the Saigas? They are built by Izmash at their factory in Russia. They are made with the AK74 receiver and I think barrel. They are much cheeper and work great. I have one. If you would like, I can bring it sometime to show you, or you could come out to TCGC and shoot it with me.

·
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely! Better Tri-County than a lunch meeting...:lol::ph34r:

·
Registered
34,486 Posts
Mark, Have you looked at the Saigas? They are built by Izmash at their factory in Russia. They are made with the AK74 receiver and I think barrel. They are much cheeper and work great. I have one. If you would like, I can bring it sometime to show you, or you could come out to TCGC and shoot it with me.
You have a Saiga in 5.45?

·
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, mine is 5.56.
You're no fun...I already got that caliber covered...I've gotten a couple email alerts from ammo sellers that have dropped their prices a bit...maybe it'll develop into a trend...like "in stock" ...

·
Registered
591 Posts
You're no fun...I already got that caliber covered...I've gotten a couple email alerts from ammo sellers that have dropped their prices a bit...maybe it'll develop into a trend...like "in stock" ...
I didn't know you wanted a 5.45 exclusively. As far as a trend.....We can hope!

·
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I hear that "cheapest centerfire on the market" calling me, with nothing to shoot it in. I don't mind that its corrosive. I wouldn't mind having a bolt gun for 5.45 either for that matter. One of these days it too will dry up and I'd like to have 3-4K of it in cans for when the mood strikes me to go shoot some of it. I'm all set for US calibers and a couple others, but right now it's pretty spendy to be plinking with. I'd like to keep a certain minimum on hand

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah, I hear that "cheapest centerfire on the market" calling me, with nothing to shoot it in. I don't mind that its corrosive. I wouldn't mind having a bolt gun for 5.45 either for that matter. One of these days it too will dry up and I'd like to have 3-4K of it in cans for when the mood strikes me to go shoot some of it. I'm all set for US calibers and a couple others, but right now it's pretty spendy to be plinking with. I'd like to keep a certain minimum on hand
I just want to find some 22LR's for less then $40.00 a brick!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Still 12 bux at wally world.

·
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last time I bought any was at BiMart (NW chain), CCI Blazers were $7/brick and the Big 3 (Rem, Fed, Win) were still under $12/brick with Rem Goldens (I know) on sale constantly for $9/brick. No limits on any of it.

Them're th' daze...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wally World just got a shipment of Federal 22 LR in ,about 18 to 20 boxes 550 brick on the shelf. Sold out in one day $13.99 a box! Oh I forgot to mention the Pawn shop 2 blocks down the street has Federal 22 LR 550 brick for sale for $27.99 , what a coincidence!:eek:

·
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wally World just got a shipment of Federal 22 LR in ,about 18 to 20 boxes 550 brick on the shelf. Sold out in one day $13.99 a box! Oh I forgot to mention the Pawn shop 2 blocks down the street has Federal 22 LR 550 brick for sale for $27.99 , what a coincidence!:eek:
Amazing...a regular Celestial Confluence of the first magnitude. Too bad someone can't drop a turd in that guys pocket. Figuratively, of course.:angry:

·
Registered
35 Posts
seen a couple today at cosners guns in bedford indiana 47421.

·
Registered
34,486 Posts
I remember one of the reasons for getting a rifle in 7.62x39 rather than 5.45x39 was the concern that the 5.45 was going to dry up some day and then we'd be stuck. Until recently I knew nothing about Wolf 5.45, but it's available now and seems to have been since at least as far back as 2003. This removes the stumbling block for those unable to stock up on a lifetime supply of 5.45, making the AK-74 type an even more attractive proposition with today's ammo prices.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts