Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Sportsman's guide is where I get my ammo.

· Banned
7,380 Posts
With the events of last friday and the subsequent political handringing, ammo (and guns) in all variations is drying up fast. I bought the last 100 shell box of 12 G shells that was available at my local walmart. 7.62 x 39, .223/5.56, .308 and .22lr all gone!

· Registered
3,861 Posts
I got a significant quantity of Golden Bear a few weeks back from Natchez but they may have sold out now. You will just have to do searches online. If an ammo site has a notify when available email option do that. That is how I get most of my stuff.

I just found what looks like a good deal on 9 mil at this site which I use regularly;
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

· Registered
127 Posts
I use the Prvi Partizan stuff, SP, because it's brass-cased and boxer-primed. The Golden Bear is Berdan-primed, and there have been some reports of broken firing pins caused by the harder primer.
Show me one post from a forum member who has broken their firing pin with a mini 30 and Berdan primed ammo? Everything I have seen relating to firing pins breaking posted by members here are all mini 14.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
supposedly (YMMV...)

The gold and silver bear ammo use a different berdan primer that is softer, and intended for sport use - as opposed to the harder military primers that wolf and tula use.

all I know is I've yet to have a silver bear 7.62 round fail to ignite.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Show me one post from a forum member who has broken their firing pin with a mini 30 and Berdan primed ammo? Everything I have seen relating to firing pins breaking posted by members here are all mini 14.
the mini-30 pins do break, probably more often than the -14's. I know at least two such cases (my own mini30 included).

In my case, Ruger refused to see it as a warranty repair, the price quote was $90 for the work, plus shipping. Yes they asked me to ship the complete rifle back to them for a firing pin replacement.

Better be safe. Use soft-primer ammo.

· Registered
127 Posts
the mini-30 pins do break, probably more often than the -14's. I know at least two such cases (my own mini30 included).

In my case, Ruger refused to see it as a warranty repair, the price quote was $90 for the work, plus shipping. Yes they asked me to ship the complete rifle back to them for a firing pin replacement.

Better be safe. Use soft-primer ammo.
Glad to hear from someone this actually happened to, thank you. To me, breaking the firing pin is indeed a concern. But I have saved a lot more than $90 in ammo by buying Bear.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
If that is true, great... but that's the first I've heard of it, any verification?
dammit... gonna have to do some serious web crawling to find where I read that again. IIRC, I was google imaging steel cased head stamps... and I just sorta stumbled upon it
it (may) have been a .ru Barnaul corporate website that I had to google translate from Cyrillic to english :( ...

if I can find it again I'll link it for sure.

stand by... it might be a few days :lol:

· Registered
3,861 Posts
I am not 100 percent positive but I am fairly positive that the non-corrosive Berdan primers are not a problem. They use a primer chemical that fires with an easier pin strike like boxer primers. There is a difference in the structure of the firing holes in Boxer versus Berdan primers but that is not particularly a problem.

The problem with firing pins(I am fairly sure) is with the corrosive Berdan primers because they are mil spec and made of a chemical(partly potassium chlorate or potassium perchlorate which is a salt) designed to fire in virtually any war type condition you could have. Because of the nature of the chemical formula they need a harder pin strike so they are harder on the firing pin. That is why I said up there that if you get non-corrosive Berdan primers they should be fine. Reloading, it would be best to use Boxer primers.

I'm shooting non-corrosive Berdan primed stuff pretty much excluisively in my gun so I guess time will tell for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.