Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following this BBS for a while now and decided that I would register and say hi. I will be picking up my new ranch model tomorrow.

I have a question for cajungeo: You mention that you are using Winchester 45gr varmint. Which brand of Winchester are you using? I can not find a 45gr varmint, I do find, however, a 45gr jhp in the USA brand.

I look forwar to trading ideas and just generally shooting the bull...
:D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sew. I will post a picture of the ammo box. same ammo I've used thru out the mods on my mini from "out of the box" 4 1/2" to current 1 1/2" avg groups at 100 yds. $11 at walmart, and $9 at Academy sports. This is a box of 40 rds!

One thing a lot of people may not realize is each rifle is different in the way it shoots! What ammo my mini likes, your mini may not like, and vica-versa. I advise trying many different bullet brands weights, etc, before buying large quantities. Also keep in mind some mods may change your mini's favorite ammo.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cajungeo,

Thanks for the info. I totally agree with your advice on trying different brands. When I start something new I like to search out the extremes, in this case which ammo is liked and which is disliked. You seemed to really like the Winchester 45 gr so I thought I would add that one to my list of trial ammo. On the other end of the scale, I’ll probably stay away from Wolf. No one on the forum seems to have a specific problem with it, there just seems to be a general apathetic attitude towards it.

Anyway, I sent Mike Knifong an e-mail asking about his trigger job, gas bushings, recoil buffer and bedding tape. I thought I might as well get started with this puppy. I also order a muzzle brake and Leupold-Gilmore GL-1 Red Dot (2 MOA). I decided to go with a Red Dot rather then a scope.

Also, does Academy sports sell ammo across the net?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Academy sports, currently dosen't deal on the net, but visiting their site, there may be a store near you. http://www.academy.com/

You might also try Federal Lake City. It is boxer primed, and many shooters like it. It is also cheap to shoot, and is reloadable.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Ranch shoots the FLC to two inch groups. The brass is worth reloading which offsets the cost. I was paying 3.99 over the counter and you can get it cheaper in quantity if you look abound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts