Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,,, Maybe It's time to move from this State....Since I can't have the evil black rifle, Ruger Mini 14 is the only answer. I bought this used in January. Shot maybe 1,000 rounds and had no problems. Shoot mostly 5.56 M193 SS109's and even a few Wolf rounds (boy they stink). Last week, broke my firing pin. Took it back to the dealer, no problem they fixed it and stated that perhaps it was due to drying firing etc. Took her out again today. After 80-100 rounds, click, click, click, no strike mark on the primer, back to the drawing board!!! What in the hell is wrong with this rifle? I was always under the impression that the Mini 14 was a tough customer with fewer inner workings than almost any rifle around. And that's why, I assumed that my little Mini was in fact a tad better in some respects than the AR, due to the fact they they has less to screw up!! Well, can I now ever trust this rifle again, would any of you? My dealer again will take a look at it etc etc etc. Was it a mistake to buy a used rifle? Are all gunsmiths capable of fixing this stuff?? Is it time to move to Arizona........:)

Larry

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don't know if you necessarily have to move to Arizona, but you definately want to get OUT of Kali...

Anyway, that South American PMP ammo has hard primers. You might want to consider getting a titanium firing pin installed. I don't remember where to get one, but I'm sure someone on this forum has an answer.

As far as reliability, I've only had 3-4 misfires with my Mini-14 after several thousand rounds. The ammo that failed was Wolf. I looked at the dent in the primer and it was incomplete. I rechambered them and they fired no problem. I think it was largely due to the hardness of the primer, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did the gunshop fix it or was it sent to Ruger? The firing pin is not an item you can order from Ruger due to the fact it has to be fitted. If done incorrectly it can protrude through the hole too far and break off or not enough and will not ignite the primer. It could be that you have debris in the firing pin channel also. Do your fired cases have the primers pierced?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys, Thanks for the comments...And yes Satan, I think I would rather be in Hell than AZ...Well they are kind of the same actually..:) My Dad does live there however. As for the problem. Some great things mentioned. And no Tubby, my local gun shop fixed the firing pin, as that is where I bought the Rifle. They did state however that perhaps a trip to Ruger would be in order but, it will cost me $$$ to ship. Actually, I dont care. I want it to be fixed. All all gunsmiths not created equal?? I now feel somewhat uncomfortable about this rifle. After all, would you all feel secure about 2 broken pins in two weeks? I did manage to get off about 100 rounds or so. I used a few Wolf rounds that I had, and I think that was where the problem began. Do AR type rifles have better or different firing pins?

Larry

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I feel for ya bro. Just been mullen over a couple of thoughts. I wonder if you have an aftermarket slider spring, which is stronger than the std rugar spring, so the bolt slams home extra hard? No way to tell, just a thought. My own personal opinion is to stay away from Berdan primed ammo. They are tougher, than the Boxer primed.
If you send it to ruger, spend an extra buck for insurance. It's worth it.
If your into installing a firing pin here is a site with many parts for the mini:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=218

Good luck with your problem. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, Tady 45, I just broke the third firing pin in one month in my mini 14 ranch rifle. The last two were aftermarket pins from Gun Parts Corp.I can not for the life of me figure out what the hell is wrong with the rifle.The original pin lasted over 3000 rounds. The last two have survived less than 100 rounds each. These aftermarket pins are starting to get expensive.I guess I will have to break down and send it back to Ruger for repairs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Calvin, Yes I saw your post on either the Firing line or Ruger Forum. Actually, I shot 1,000 plus rounds with no problems. Now, I am afraid I own a "paper tiger" if you know what I mean. I will send back to Ruger if that's what it takes. If aftermarket firing pins are like after market magazines, then we are really screwed.:) I'm seriously thinking about another Mini 14. I mean in a pinch, can my current one be trusted?? I have read and determined that this rifle is tough and has few problems but, until someone can tell me either what is wrong and why, I am not sure what to do? Well, I just put a $100 down on an old SKS 7.52x39. I will get several Mini's before it's all over...

Larry

·
Registered
25 Posts
The South African surplus ammo from Sportsman Supply is what I was shooting when the last two pins broke. I do not know if that had anything to do with the problem as I have shot other surplus rounds that have been Berdan primmed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tady45 and Calvin,
I feel for your problem, there ain't much worse than a rifle that you don't trust.

I have to think that consistent broken firing pins like you'll described has to be a mechanical problem in the bolt assembly. Especially with only a couple hundred rounds. There must be wear spots, manufacturing defects, or ridges that cause a bit of "wobble" in the firing pin. I can tell you from my own experience that hard metals fracture more easily than soft metals. As firing pins are hard, I have to believe that they're not at all tolerant of wear in the bolt assembly.

I've been shooting Wolf .223 a lot and have had about 20-30 misfires. I always eject it, pick it up and inspect the primer. There's always a good dent, then I put it back in the rifle. All have fired on the second try. Until somebody has better evidence, I think the problem isn't how hard the primer is, it's about the ignitor in the primer. And some lots are better than others. I'd bet they sell their worst lots as exports, and keep the best for themselves.

Of course, I can't prove anything I said. It's just a hunch.

:trooper:

·
Registered
145 Posts
have a smith check to see if the mini's are chambered in 223 or 5.56x45 (mil-spec), there is a difference, 5.56 ammo is higher pressure than 223, difference in chamber is the throat length, if its 223 you may wanna go with a 223 wylde chambering to reduce the pressure. 223 wylde is a match 5.56 chamber
RR

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well with 196 start on your serial # I am even more interested in what you find out cause mine is of the same first 3 #'s so ours are of more recent production.I still think Ruger will come back with the beradan primers in the foriegn surplus from Russia or africa. Does anyone know which primer the Federal 5.56 currently being used in Afghanistan is boxer or beradan primed ? :usa:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Nascar, I believe, that all domestic made ammo is boxer primer. I am still waiting for my Mini to be shipped back from Ruger as a result of 2 broken firing pins. I am still not sure that the primer has a lot to do with the breakage. Someone posted a link however that stated among other things"Ruger advises against using Wolf ammo." Wolf is Berdan primed. I have used a bunch of these rounds because they are cheap. Well, when I get my Rifle back they will be used no more.........

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have the manual right here and it says no such thing. It says,
" The Mini-14 rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

I big red letters it says
USE ONLY FACTORY AMMUNITION LOADED TO U.S. INDUSTRY STANDARDS

USING RELOADS VOIDS ANY WARRENTY.

Nothing about primers or bullet materials. Now does imported new ammo have to meet U.S. standards?

I wanted to put the no Wolf ammo rumor to rest. It has its own problems if you check my other post.

TC:cannon:

·
Registered
17 Posts
At a recent gun show I was told by a dealer that Wolf ammo has a very hard primer and would break the fireing pin on his Mini 14.
He said that when he sent it into Ruger, they returned it repaired at no charge.
As for Wolf ammunition, I use it only in my Russian and other Eastern Block weapons. They seem to thrive on it.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
To my way of thinking it is either: 1) very hard primers (steel berdan), 2) a bad batch of brittle firing pins, 3) or excessive stricking force (Too strong of a main spring). Pick your posion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts