Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a fair share of Mini-14 owners on this board, and not every one of us can afford it's bigger brother... the M1A. The M1A is about the perfect companion to the Mini-14, same pattern rifle, just bigger and shoots a more powerful cartridge. But the M1A is pricey, real pricey... and many of us went with the Mini-14 (over many other options) due to it's cost effective firepower. Never the less, an MBR is an awfully nice addition to a well rounded arsenal, and I believe I found a sound option for the Mini-14 Owner on a budget...

The MAS 49/56
Cal: 7.5x54 French
Weight 9 Lbs.
Box Magazine Fed
Direct Impingement Gas System (don't let that fool you, the gasses blow out through the top of the rifle as the bolt cycles, so it doesn't "Crap where it eats" like the AR-15)
Tilting Bolt action (ala the SKS)

Which begs the question, "Why this rifle GP?". Well it's simple really, It handles a lot like a Mini-14; the way it is charged, the sight picture and the Safety are all very similar. But above and beyond that, it is extremely reliable, accurate, built like a tank, easy to maintain, has many cheap spare parts available, mil spec, has .308 class power and is actually less expensive then a NIB Mini-14 (About $400.00, and it normally comes with 4 mags, a bayo and some other accouterments).

The only downside is that you will have to order your ammo online... But the price for brass cased ammo (Privi Partisan) is about neck and neck with .308 these days (About $15 a box of 20). Some people have complained of slam-fires with commercial ammo, but this can be remedied by slightly re-shaping the tip of the firing pin (Flattening it out just a touch to increase it's surface area). It's also easy to reload for, if you are set up for such tasks.

If you are looking for this type of weapon, you might wanna check these out, most are in terrific shape having been arsenal reconditioned in the 80's for the French Army. Steer clear of the Century Modified .308 (Marked "7.62 Cal" rather crudely over stamping the original "7.5 Cal" on the reciver) rifles if you can help it (Unless you can shoot it first), as most have issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got my CETME .308 today. If needed, I'll get a trigger job done. Take it out next weekend to find out. At $500, I can get three for the price of an M1A. Getting another one Thursday.

Great rifle,does the job for 1/3 the price of an M1A.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:Those gunz are french and probably -guet!:p

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The surrender of the French Forces to the Nazis in WWII was the choice of the French government, not the fault of the French Arms makers (who have always been considered excellent), or the French people; many of whome fought against the Nazi occupation, even knowing that by doing so, they placed not only their own lives, but the lives of their families on the line.

Politics aside, I'd put my mil spec MAS against any commercial "battle rifle" in any contest, any time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like it

A lttle on the French arms history and this Rifle in particular can be found in this article:

The MAS 49/56: not an oxymoron, it's truly a great French rifle! Found at:

The MAS 49/56: not an oxymoron, it's truly a great French rifle | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET

I like it, and I think it is great inexpensive choice for those who are hunkering down. Stock pile ammo and cache in your AO which you should be doing anyways.

If I have to go mobile which I most likely will since I am never at home, it won't work for me. I usually am a thousand miles away from home working. I have to make different choices to cover our likely contingencies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 49/56 is a great rifle.I have had one for years.If it had a twenty round magazine (the French made an 18 rounder but have never released them for sale) and were chambered in .308 they would be much more popular and expensive than they are.Best deal out there for a semi-auto battle rifle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a couple of Colt AR-15's and I like them fine. I decided I need a high power rifle, so I consulted a fellow deputy who had an FFL. He said a 30.06 would take any animal on the north american continent. So I gave him the money, and when he called to order it, all they had was a carbine. I would rather have a carbine, so now I have one. I bought a case of ammo, and every time I went to Walmart I bought a box of hunting ammo for it. I found some 10 round magazines for it, but I have declined a scope. It has good iron sights, and with the terrain around here being hilly and lots of trees, I can hit anything the size of a deer. I may get a scope later. It is a good all purpose rifle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm going to have to look into that. I'm betting I can load it with the same projectiles and powders that we use for the K-31 7.5x55.
Close, actually it's 6.5X55 Swedish that you can use for reloading. You just need to resize and trim the next, shoot moderate loads to "fire-form" the cases, and your done.

I just keep buying 7.5 French and stockpiling it.

Also chect the prices to find spare parts for this gun... dirt cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are right GPWASR10, the MAS is an excellent and accurate battle rifle. I would love to see someone make a set of polymer furniture for them, I'd buy a set in a minute. As for the Frogs and thier proclivity for surrender, well........... History does speak for itself now doesn't it?! Having been there I don't care for Parisians as they have thier noses way to far up in each others butts and hate Americans in general or so it seems. Strange attitude for the country that saved your sorry asses not once but twice! Next time, I say let the Germans have 'em! Now as for the average Frenchman in the country, I found them to be just like country folk anywhere and very grateful to America for running the Germans out of thier country. Go figure. Regardless, they have and do make some good weapons including the current issue rifle the FAMAS.
CSDM62

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really like my MAS 49/56 and I have been stockpiling the 7.5 French ammo for it for years. Not my first choice, but a good backup rifle and it sure gets some second looks at the range. I echo the earlier post that a 20 round magazine would sure be a nice addition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts