Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the gun scene, and very glad to have found this bbs. Checked all of the old msgs in the 10/22 forum, and didn't see this. Does anyone know the differences between the AMT 25/22 and the Ruger 10/22? Not much info on the web, other than the fact that the 25/22 is a copy of the 10/22, and AMT is out of business. I just picked up a stainless 25/22 configured with a tapered barrel and a Butler Creek folding stock, and the only visible difference I noticed was an extended mag release. No idea what was "factory", and I have no experience with a 10/22 for comparison.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wraith. I have heard of AMT arms, but couldn't tell ya for shure if it is the same as the Ruger. However you can check out the parts diagram in this link to see if your rifle is similar to the Ruger 10/22. Maby someone else has some experience. If they are the same, then you can get spare parts at gunparts.com
http://www.ontargetguns.com/1022.pdf
Let us know if you find anything, and we will do the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. These guys bought out all of the 25/22 inventory, and according to them, most parts are interchangeable. It even came with a Ruger 10-rnd mag.

This website said it's "essentially a highly modified copy of the Ruger 10/22", and the photo there is exactly what mine looks like, except mine also came with a Bushnell "Custom 4x .22" scope. No details about exactly what's been modified; coming soon apparently, and I'm anxiously awaiting an update!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have no experience with the AMT 10/25 Lightning but the link I found on a search engine showed a picture of what you describe. This gun looks exactly like a 10/22 to me.

http://mem.tcon.net/users/5010/5491/rimfires.htm

As always find out for sure before using parts.

10/22's are pretty cheap and reliable did you get a good deal or are you a collector like most of us?
:usa:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Ivanimal
10/22's are pretty cheap and reliable did you get a good deal or are you a collector like most of us?
Well, as I mentioned I'm new to guns; this is my second gun, an impulse buy purchased about 2 minutes after my first gun, a NIB Mossberg 500 stainless with factory pistol grip (I'd been looking for a used stainless/synthetic shotgun for a while). I was at my local gun store picking up the 500, spotted the 25/22 on the shelf, and asked the fatal "What's that??". :) I'd been toying with the idea of a 10/22 anyways, and after firing a quick 10 rounds into the tank, I bought it. It looks to be in really nice condition, and I got it for Cdn$300, which I think is about US$180 or so. As for it being a "good deal", I really don't know, but I'm happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's an excellent deal according to the price I saw at the gun show last weekend. They wanted $650.00 US.

I've got both versions (AMT and Ruger) of the gun, and they are mirror images of one another. Mine also came with a factory folding stock, and it looks just like the Butler creek set up.

From what I understand happened to the AMT version, Ruger succesfully sued them, and they had to stop production.

They are very rare around here. Thay use all the same accessories, and the barrels are interchangeable, so you can get an aftermarket HB made for the 10/22, and it should work fine.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I was talking to a buddy at work, and he said the AMT is all stainless steel, the trigger group, and receiver. The Rugar is aluminium. Is your AMT made of stainless steel?

If you are thinking of changing barrels someday, my stock ruger barrel measures .685 inches at the chamber (the part that goes into the receiver).

·
Registered
27 Posts
The AMT is a Ruger copy...I did read that the AMT is all stainless and somewhat heavier, the only problem was the fit and finish of the internal parts. The bolts where rough and caused jambs and the triggers where so so But that was when they first came out. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by hekimian
That's an excellent deal according to the price I saw at the gun show last weekend. They wanted $650.00 US.
HOLY CRAP, that's about Cdn$1085!! One thing that beats getting new gun is finding out you got an awesome deal on it. Thanks for making my day!

Originally posted by hekimian
Mine also came with a factory folding stock, and it looks just like the Butler creek set up.
I was wondering about that. I initially thought the AMT stock was a BC, but I just picked up a BC folding stock for a Mini-14 and it's about 2" shorter than the AMT stock. Maybe the Mini-14 stock was designed for body armour and the AMT stock wasn't? :) As far as design goes, I could almost swear that they were built in the same factory.

Originally posted by cajungeo Is your AMT made of stainless steel?
Yes, it is.

Originally posted by Rock the only problem was the fit and finish of the internal parts.
As far as internals go, I think some tweaking by my local gunsmith is in order. I definitely want a lighter trigger pull. But that's about it; I have no plans to alter the look of the gun. I know, famous last words, but my goal is to build up a stainless Mini-14 and not sink any money into the 25/22.

·
I am NOT an animal.......
1,191 Posts
I own an AMT lighting and yes on it being all stainless with a heavier stronger receiver. No jams if you clean the gun after shooting it for the day. The butler creek magazines that came with mine were crap, but it works very well with the ruger steel magazines and other aftermarket brands.

My dad bought it back in the old days when Ruger didn't make stainless 22's yet. I got it when i was 14 or 15ish and its been a great first 22, but now I have a CZ 455 Lux and the AMT has become a safe King. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts