Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it not turning around in some places?

My local shop has plenty of 5.56 and 7.62 on their shelves. They do have 10 box limits though.

I'm also noticing guns are starting to show back up in stock.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but its more of a response to other posts.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
10 box limit? Gawd, do I wish it were like that here.

No letup in the ammo drought and it looks like its about to get worse. Obozo's EO's are set for publication in the next day or two and with what is being reported I fully expect to see a halt to some ammo imports.

Best,
Grumpy

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Was at a local Gun Show on Sunday. Lots more State Police than I had ever saw in the past. Plenty of ammo available. $20 a box for .223, $25 for .308. 7.62x39 at $200 per 500. Plenty of large pistol primers. Rimfire at $85 a brick. Black rifles all marked for LE use only.

· Registered
663 Posts
Some berettas trickled into Scheels here in IA. Also had some Hornady 60gr. V-MAX .224 cal at $17.99 a box (100 bullets). That is just the bullet component of the cartridge.

As for ammo 223,308, 30-30, etc. there is none here to be had. Same with any primers of any sort :(

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Was at a local Gun Show on Sunday. Lots more State Police than I had ever saw in the past. Plenty of ammo available. $20 a box for .223, $25 for .308. 7.62x39 at $200 per 500. Plenty of large pistol primers. Rimfire at $85 a brick. Black rifles all marked for LE use only.
If you can hold out a little longer you should be able to buy for about 1/2 of those prices. The 7.62x39 you might want to get a little of though. Obama could cut off imports of that at any time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Grumpy, sorry if this has been asked of you before, what is the manufacturer of your box a day plan? Got my 30 about a month ago and have not been out to the range as of yet because of the weather. Finally getting some good weather this weekend and will be out to see how it does, I see Tula in wallyworld and wonder if I should start doing the same plan. Thank you for your time and help.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Grumpy, sorry if this has been asked of you before, what is the manufacturer of your box a day plan? Got my 30 about a month ago and have not been out to the range as of yet because of the weather. Finally getting some good weather this weekend and will be out to see how it does, I see Tula in wallyworld and wonder if I should start doing the same plan. Thank you for your time and help.
Hi Corpsmen;

I'm going with whatever Academy has in stock; its usually Tula, but sometimes Barnaul marketed under "Monarch" (Academy house brand). Never had a stitch of trouble with Tula or Barnaul so I buy 'em whenever I can find 'em.

They're only 5-10 minutes down the road from where I live so its not that hard to drop by daily. For the last few weeks they've had 7.62x39 and .308 in stock pretty regularly with occasional shipments of 5.56x45 and .22LR. Only way to get .22's is to be there within an hour or two of when they unload the truck.

Best,
Grumpy

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, slazy;

Is that the place at the 215- 60- 91 interchange?

fishslayerbob
No, Its off the 91fwy and Central Ave. Right by the riverside plaza.

Personally of the six gun shops within a 4 miles of my house Centerfire is by far the best. They know a lot but are not know-it-all's (you know?).:lol:

I was in there about an hour ago and they still have PLENTY of 5.56. I did not check any other ammunition.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will do the same and pick up a box when ever I am around wallyworld. Have a good one.
Hi Corpsmen;

Just reread your post and thought I should clarify that I'm using AKM's for my 7.62x39 blasting not a mini 30.

Can't speak from experience on Tula or Barnaul in the mini 30. But FWIW I've never had a misfire, jam, or whatever. They're dirty but non-corrosive and if you use 'em in a mini 30 I would make sure to clean the heck out of the chamber and gas system afterwards to prevent any fouling related issues. Read the other threads here to see the "steel case ammo in minis" controversy - I'm officially neutral. Only firing pin I ever had break in a mini 14 was on a rifle with about 4k rounds of brass cased ammo.

Best,
Grumpy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.