Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stainless Steel Barrels generally will outlast ChromeMolly barrels by 10 to 30%. However there is one small fly in the ointment. If you clean your fine Ruger Stainless Barreled Mini Improperly with a Strong ammonia based bore cleaner, the life span will be greatly reduced. :eek:

I read a highly technical article last year of a test of a 416 stainless rifle barrel (which contains amounts of sulphur) when combined with ammonia will cause pitting. When pitting occurs, fouling increases, accuracy decreases. Benchrest shooters use the harsh cleaners to remove the Copper as it cleans faster. They are very careful in using it. My thinking is if you can clean your bore without ammonia based cleaners, or abrasive cleaners, then why would ya want to? :rolleyes:

A search to find out which bore cleaners contain ammonia, and which do not, yielded these results:

Ammonia based: Sweets 7.62, Birchwood/Casey Bore Scrubber, Shooters Choice Copper Cleaner.
Abrasive based: JB
Non-Ammonia based: Hoppe's Bench Rest, Shooter's Choice MC7, Butches Bore Shine

There are other cleaners which fit into one of the above catagories. Maby some of you can add to the list.

Here is an interesting article on Rifle Cleaning: http://www.precisionrifles.com/rifle_care.htm

·
Registered
581 Posts
That Butches Bore Shine smells like it contains ammonia.

I think you need a borescope if you are really going to get into this thing. Either that or more trust. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Originally posted by cajungeo
Stainless Steel Barrels generally will outlast ChromeMolly barrels by 10 to 30%. However there is one small fly in the ointment. If you clean your fine Ruger Stainless Barreled Mini Improperly with a Strong ammonia based bore cleaner, the life span will be greatly reduced. :eek:

I read a highly technical article last year of a test of a 416 stainless rifle barrel (which contains amounts of sulphur) when combined with ammonia will cause pitting. When pitting occurs, fouling increases, accuracy decreases. Benchrest shooters use the harsh cleaners to remove the Copper as it cleans faster. They are very careful in using it. My thinking is if you can clean your bore without ammonia based cleaners, or abrasive cleaners, then why would ya want to? :rolleyes:

A search to find out which bore cleaners contain ammonia, and which do not, yielded these results:

Ammonia based: Sweets 7.62, Birchwood/Casey Bore Scrubber, Shooters Choice Copper Cleaner.
Abrasive based: JB
Non-Ammonia based: Hoppe's Bench Rest, Shooter's Choice MC7, Butches Bore Shine

There are other cleaners which fit into one of the above catagories. Maby some of you can add to the list.

Here is an interesting article on Rifle Cleaning: http://www.precisionrifles.com/rifle_care.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't find ammonia listed on the container or MSDS for Break-Free CLP.

I was told by a sales person that Tetra Gun Copper Solvent has a very small amount of ammonia. He and their website claims their "Patent-pending formulation has additive that offers protection from "Bore Etching" or premature barrel wear due to the usage of aggressive solvents". The container doesn't list ammonia.

I'm surprised at how little content information is given on the containers about the active ingredients of both.

SigMan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting. What if I use an amonia based cleaner then immediately follow up with something w/o amonia like Hoppes. I can see pitting if one leaves it in the barrel for a long time, but what if it's removed quickly? Your thoughts are appreciated, :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
After I use an agressive copper cleaner in my bore, I run a dry patch through, then a patch soaked in 91% IPA, then a dry patch again.

I feel fairly confident that this procedure would remove any solvent without etching.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think bubba has the right idea, with the alcohol, or plain Hoppies. Most bench rest forums, say they follow up, and neutralize the ammonia based cleaner, but don't say with what. I know plain water will neutralize plain ammonia, but most bore cleaners have a petrol additive, such as kerosene which is oily. The alcohol would remove this.

They also say to run an oily patch thru the bore then a dry one to remove excess. Firing in a dry bore will cause more of the copper to rub off due to friction. Also leaving lead, and copper in a steel barrel can cause galvanic action, (dissimilar metals) which also causes pitting over a period of time, in either blue or stainless barrels.

Some bore cleaners such as Birchwood/Casey Bore Scrubber, does not list ammonia, nor can I find any thing on the net about it, but I have some, and it makes my eyes water, definately ammonia smell. Maybe it has a smaller amount. I don't use it any more. So far my Hoppies Bench Rest does the job. As I clean my mine when I get back from the range, so I don't let the copper build up. Now if I ripped off a couple hundred rounds, at the range then I would probably have to use the stronger stuff, then follow up with Hoppies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have been using Hoppes BR with ammonia, and recently Butches bore shine, on my stainless Mini for 2 years.

Immediately after I use the ammonia solvent, I run a patch or two with CLP. Then, I run a dry patch.

I didn't know. Do you think my barrel is damaged?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts