Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When talking ammo, what does it mean if your .223 ammo is "boxer primed" is this corrosive primer?

Thanks

------------------
Comet~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Boxer primed is reloadable brass with one fire hole centered in the primer pocket. It's what you want to buy if you are going to reload your own ammo. It has nothing to do with corrosiveness. Most of corrosive primers you will run into are in old European or Chinese ammo, and it's mostly berdan primed, and possibly steel cased. The cases have two fire holes off center in the primer pocket that will result in a broken decapping pin on your reloading die if you try to knock out the primer to reload them.
There's nothing wrong with using corrosive primed ammo if you don't mind scrubbing your gun down with soapy water immediately after every firing session.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info mike, can you tell me if all berdan primed ammo is corrosive?

------------------
Comet~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Comet,
I'm certainly not an expert, but It's been my experiance that corrosive primers have more to do with the age of the ammo, not the type of primer pocket used. I recall seeing some old WWII 45 ACP ammo that was corrosive, but it was also boxer primed. I've seen newer ammo that berdan primed, but not corrosive. All the corrosive stuff I've seen has been clearly marked as such, but who knows if it's all marked? Not me.
If you want my opinion, reload your own ammo. After you get the dies, press, scales, etc., it's pretty inexpensive. The big plus is you know exactly what you are shooting. It's also alot of fun, and gives you a degree of control you can't buy. It's not difficult, but does demand your undivided attention. If you think you will go this route, midsouth shooters supply www.midsouthshooterssupply.com has the best prices on equipment, and your local gun shows will probably get you the best deals on bullets and powder. Shipping will kill you on the bullets due to the weight, and the hazmat fees on primer and powder really drives up the price on those items as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts