Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 840 surplus military rounds and a never fired Russan SKS, laminated stock, cleaning rod, bayonet etc. What is all this worth in today's market place with all the high prices of ammo?

Thanks in advance;

Ronk

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Slime, did you just come here to brag. It would be so hard to guess what your mother load is worth. However if it was mine it would be a seldom fired SKS and 839 rounds of ammo. Sweet rifle.

·
Registered
652 Posts
People supposedly "in the know" tell me a Russian (1953 Tula) is worth at least 600 but I put one in the local ads for that amount and didn't get a bite. I also walked through the entire gun show this weekend and tried to make trades for that value with no success until I ended up adding it with another gun to get what I wanted. Most of the people I talked to actually turned their noses up at it. (???) Figure that one out.

Having fired that Russian enough to get a feel for its capabilities, I honestly have to say that it didn't seem any different than the three other models I own, except for the uniqueness of its makeup.

It's definitely no P.O.S, but I just don't see why people put on so much about the Russian SKS over all the other versions. The fact that it was THE original may hold some value but I'll stack any of my Chinese against it and shoot up a case of ammo to prove the point if somebody will pay. The Chinese is supposed to be the P.O.S. in SKS snob circles, so I'll leave the Romy's and the Yugo M59 (before they put G/L's on them) in the safes.

Sorry to sound like a rant. Hope it gave you some idea to answer your question.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Mine is a Romanian and I like it just fine. I see guys shooting the Norinco's or Yugo's and they work great too. The only possible advantage is I also have the chrome lined barrel. That is worth something. No clue what though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mine is a Romanian and I like it just fine. I see guys shooting the Norinco's or Yugo's and they work great too. The only possible advantage is I also have the chrome lined barrel. That is worth something. No clue what though.
Those Romys are great carbines. (Actually, I haven't met an SKS I didn't like though). I think all but Yugos have chromed barrels, and this was due to the country's lack of a natural chromium source withing it borders. They weren't willing to do what it took to obtain chromium from the Soviets, so they made do without.

The chromed barrels and chambers kept them from corroding like so many others did before that process was used. We learned the same lesson with the early M16's until they started lining the chambers with chromium.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Not having the chrome lined is not as much of a problem these days. I always get non-corrosive Berdan primed ammo. I think the import manufacturer's of 7.62 changed their primer formula on all the newer manufacture. If you get an old surplus military tin it will likely be corrosive so you have to deal with that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome Ronk, better keep that SKS--and that ammo. They work and work well so why change. I have taken a "shine" to milsups of all kinds as so far they are "below the radar" of big brother.

·
Registered
70 Posts
what you'll find when joining whatever forums is your dealing with other enthusiasts of the same type of (fill in the blank) car, rifle, pistol etc. So your talking to a very small audience. Say you liked AMC pacers and joined a AMC car forum and went to the pacer subforum. You mention you have a special ordered yellow pacer with a V8 your going to get alot of its worth X number of dollars. But its only worth what someone is willing to pay and if you go to list it, the pool of people that even like that type of car is so small, your lucky to get scrap value of the car. Same goes for different types of guns. Like your SKS, to the SKS crowd its a nicer gun, but to most everyone else its just a SKS. Same goes for the AK47's. Most guys dont care weather its a wasr 10 with mag wobble or a preban norinco. Its got the classic AK look, the wasr is 1/3 of the price and they both go bang when you pull the trigger. Whats 95% of the people going to buy? the wasr. jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.