Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as we all know, the Mini 30 doesn't like steel cased, berdan primed surplus ammo. I plan to stock ammo as soon as the panic dies down a little bit, I just need to know what kind of ammo everyone is having good luck with? I was thinking of ordering a 1k rd case of the Fiocchi brass cased, boxer primed when it comes back in stock. Any other suggestions? I'm also going to continue working on this thing to make it run steel cased stuff, harder hammer spring, a few other things. Yes I know its not designed for it, but when has that ever stopped anyone who likes to tinker with firearms? :lol:

This is the boxer primed stuff I've found

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammo 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Full Metal

· Registered
164 Posts
Not saying you shouldn't place the order but thought the following might be useful info. I ordered 1000 rds of Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammunition 223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket from Midway for my Mini-14 on 12/24/2012. The projected availability date was around mid-January. When that date arrived, the projected availability date became early September 2013. Currently the date is posted as "Date expected in stock: 11/19/2013". This may not happento you if you go ahead and order but should at least be aware of the possibility.

BTW, this isn't a knock on Midway...it's at the mercy of its suppliers. Midway also confirmed that when the fill my order it will be at the price that existed when the order was placed. Meanwhile, I've managed to find enough .223 to tide me over (barely) while I wait for this order to get fulfilled whenever that is.

· Registered
727 Posts
Golden Bear shoots very well and very accurate in my mini 30. I picked up 1,200 rounds at the old price mid December so I was lucky. Silver Bear also works great. I mostly reload but could not pass up the deal I got on the Bears.

· Registered
8,793 Posts
fiocchi is good stuff and so is pmc - the pmc case is a bit better for reloading imo due to fewer case neck splits. the fiocchi ammo shot better groups however.
you may find brass cased berdan primed mil-surp cheaper however - it's mil-surp corro primed but don't let that scare youi from shooting it just windex well wipe/scrub - don't forget the gas pipe - then dry and clean as normal. unfortunatelt the very good yugo mil-surp has been bought up. it shot very good im my M30 better than fiocchi even.
if it comes back on the market I'm buying a couple battle packs of it.

· Registered
69 Posts
howdy...first post
I've shot nothing but that fiocchi thru mine since purchase without a failure
still working on my groups but user error is more likely the culprit

before newtown it was 10 bucks a box at lucky gunner
it's nice and clean and the brass is reloadable

· Backwoods Mountain Man
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine will get 2-3 light strikes per box on tul, and 6-10 light strikes on wolf. It will feed brass cased PPU and Norinco just fine. Not to mention, there are several threads with mini 30 owners dealing with this. I've called Ruger and got the old party line twice. "We don't reccomend steel cased ammo in our firearms, if it misfires you should be using high quality american made brass case ammo"

Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.