Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

In the last 10 days I have been able to score the following:

5 boxes of "herters select" 7.62x39 Sp - Cabela's (Brick and Morter)

14 boxes of PMC "bronze" .223 - Cabela's and Scheels

2 boxes of PMC "bronze" 9mm - Scheels

5 boxes of S & B - 9mm - LGS

12 boxes of PMC "X-tac" 5.56 - LGS

4 boxes (of 50) CCI .22 LR - LGS

3 boxes of Tula 7.62x39 - Wallyworld

2 boxes of "PPU" .45 ACP - Wallyworld - I could have bought more, but I don't use much of this, and I'm not going to screw somebody by hoarding ammo I don't need and reselling at a jacked up price on the internet.

Now my question: I can get 2 different types of 5.56 at my LGS, PMC X-tac or Federal brand (Which costs about 10% more than the PMC). Is the Federal brand worth the extra cost? I can get the PMC for $11.13/box of 20.

· USAF SF
220 Posts
I just bought 500 for less than .50 cents a round, so I'm definitely seeing that crack in the dam as well!

I have noticed that TulAmmo has tripled in price, however. Hopefully the price drops as things return to "normal".

· Registered
159 Posts
hottarod,
Dam has a crack... found 6 bulk boxes (325 ct) of Federal AutoMatch .22LR for $23./ea. and picked up 2 boxes of PMC Bronze 9mm for less than $20./ea. Still not preferred pricing... but, affordable. This from a local gun store, not online. Summer is lookin' up !!

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Its coming out in squirts and spurts. Still hoping that all the optimists are right and things will go back to something like normal soon. I'll be the first to cheerfully admit I was wrong!

I stocked up on that .45 PPU at Wally World myself - 6 boxes in 3 days. Thing is I tend to shoot a lot of .45ACP when things are "normal" and I was a bit drawn down. Wouldn't turn my nose up at another couple thousand rounds of the stuff, but I really need .38/.357 since I shoot it in both revolvers and lever guns. Haven't seen hide nor hair of it in quite some time (aside from a couple boxes of $1.25 a shot defensive loads).

Thing is that all the ammo I'm seeing now is imported - almost wondering if there was some sort of hangup at CBP bringing it in, since last week was the first time I'd seen any dated 2013.

One other hopeful sign is that Remington is opening up some more capacity in Arkansas. Says to me that the big boys are finally deciding that the extra demand is not going away, so with extra capacity that could take some of the pressure off.

Best,
Grumpy

· Registered
344 Posts
I think the dam is starting to crack. I've been looking at Gunbot just to check the trend and I've noticed more and more close to normal pricing. Although they get bought up quickly, the most encouraging sign is the over priced stuff is not getting bought. Sooner or later these guys will have to lower their prices if nobody buys it and the supply continue to increase. Hopefully afterwards people will remember who was gouging and don't buy from them. I'm making a list of who kept their prices sane and will try to only buy from them in the future. Midway has been pretty reasonable and I've noticed they are getting more ammo as well as reloading supplies. Bought some pistol and 223 bullets at pre-panic prices from them this week. Was tempted to buy more than I needed, but resisted the temptation and contribute to the panic. Also seeing people helping each other out but trading stuff with each other. Read also some guy gave away some 9mm brass he didn't need instead of selling them to desparate people that were willing to overpay. A lot of people trying to make a quick buck, but still good people still are around trying to help others.

· Registered
158 Posts
As far as in store buying the only one that I've seen that is not gouging is Walmart. I'm normally an anti Walmart guy but for ammo they can't be beat. Turners is gouging and I won't go there again. I have seen a lot of availability on line but it's still over priced IMO.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I guess I'm going to stop buying ammo online if the internet sales tax goes through. With that added and the generally $20+ in shipping it just won't be worth it.
Hi hottarod;

+1000

I think that's the whole point to the internet sales tax - it will kill off a number of small retailers that can't compete once shipping and tax are taken into consideration. Wally World loves it, and Amazon too, since they're big enough players that they can make it work. But for the little guys its gonna be tough.

I'd suggest you get any specialty equipment that may be hard to find after an internet sales tax wipes out some of the specialty stores sooner than later. Ah change....why is it that these new sprats always think change is good?

Best,
Grumpy

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5.56 Ammo

.223 Ammo

7.62x51 Ammo

Still about .70 cents a round.

They do have Tula 5.56 for .50 cents a round.

I think everyone who is afraid either ran out of money or space.

This site typically has the cheapest on the web.

Enjoy.
No thanks, I'm getting PMC .223 bronze at 50c per rnd and thier X-tac (5.56) for 55c per rnd. I've also made the decision that I will not be buying anymore steel case .223/5.56. I'm not that desparate.

· Registered
315 Posts
My not so local LGS had several cases of .223 Tulammo today 100 round box for $32.00. Thats 32 cents per round. I didn't buy any because I'm shying away from steel brass and I have a few hundred rounds of brass brass in inventory.

I visited several gun shops up in the "city" today looking for Tru Oil.... didn't find any nor did I find any .22 LR

401 Posts
And that the online dealers are still price gouging! I'll stay with Wallyworld and the LGS, they are fair and deserve the business. even if its only 3 - 5 boxes at a time.
Oh I am all about supporting local businesses. I lean more towards LGS, Local restaurants, local auto repair and Local Grocery, Independent Dr.'s and Dentist.

I stay away from all national chains whenever it is possible. I have checked at Walmart occasionally though. During the last faux ammo crisis I was able to get 45 ACP regularly.

By posting those links it is not my intention to promote a certain business model only that supply is loosening up in some areas.

Peace \ /

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No cracks in the dam here in Jefferson. Southern Oregon the same. 9mm is not to be found for reasonble prices and components are rare.
I do agree that 9mm gets snapped up pretty quickly. I have been able though to get it at 2 retail locations in the last 10 days, 115 gr fmj for 17.09 and 19.99 per 50. Its not dirt cheap, but alot cheaper than internet prices, and I'm alot more vigilant than the average ammo scrounger. But .22 LR, still dificult, but not impossible. I'm just not willing at this point to show up 2 hrs before opening at my local Big 5 to buy one bulk pack (525 rnds) of Rem golden bullet. I like Win 333 and 555 alot better.

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I am all about supporting local businesses. I lean more towards LGS, Local restaurants, local auto repair and Local Grocery, Independent Dr.'s and Dentist.

I stay away from all national chains whenever it is possible. I have checked at Walmart occasionally though. During the last faux ammo crisis I was able to get 45 ACP regularly.

By posting those links it is not my intention to promote a certain business model only that supply is loosening up in some areas.

Peace \ /
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just to let people know that the smaller online ammo sellers are price gouging. I will give my business to anyone that is fair on thier prices. When big retailers like Wal-mart, Cabela's and Sportsmans Guide keep the lid on prices, It helps all consumers. That is why there is stll $27.00 a box .270 still sitting on the shelves at big 5 that is selling for $17.97 at walmart (exact same U.S. made ammo). The manufacturer is not hurt by competetive pricing in the retail market.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Do you suppose the dam is breaking because we gun types have enough ammo and have stopped snapping it up so fast, or because the ammo manufacturers have added production that is slowly filling the supply chain? I don't see either happening. In fact, here in my border state supplies are lower than ever. The only 223 I've seen in the last month has been Tula/Herters. I've seen Federal 9mm, but it is sold to the first few guys in line every time it appears. No 22 for at least a month. Cabela's has steel 308 for $12 a box and Walmart has Winchester 308 for $18, but that's hardly a crack in the dam.

· hostilenativelibertarian.
7,889 Posts
No cracks in the dam here in Jefferson. Southern Oregon the same. 9mm is not to be found for reasonble prices and components are rare.
;)Hey oldscribe-i'm a bit north of ya around silverton/molalla areas,and we have been getting every so often some 9mm stuff at "bi-marts"!I know the staff pretty well at my local store and they said that their policy is no gouging!Now I remember 2 summers back after high prices on 5.56-bimart had the milspec green tip on sale at $120/420 rd ammo can new manufactured federal.That was 2 years after obozo was elected the first time.Back then we had major usage of ammo by the military,and then the drawdown started in the ME,then the warehouses started overflowing-so they needed to sell some,to make profit and add more space.Now with dhs grabbing all of the stuff-it may be another year or two!My answer is to cast boolits,and find some shotgun powder for a while,may not shoot as flat,but it still shoots,primers are coming in from east europe too.Heck Black powder shoots about the same-but is messy!;)

1 - 20 of 258 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.