Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking to put a forward rail on my 185 series. I want to retain my irons but add a red dot or scout scope. Feedback from anybody using one of the three mentioned would be awesome.

Jimbo

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was very pleased with the Amega on my Mini-14, but having now gone with the Spart stock, I can't recommend any of the three at the same money. $200 gets you a very nice platform for the Mini- that includes a stable optics rail.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I studied those three options thoroughly and ended up with an Ultimak rail because it sits the lowest on the gun. Not sure my quest for cowitness capability will ever come to fruition though. During the quest for a low scout rail it occurred to me just how poor my eyes had become. A LER scope is more likely to ordain my Ultimak rail than a red dot. If there ever is a red dot up there, it will likely have some magnification. Not sure (yet) how the front sight looks in the field of a magnified red dot...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I looked really hard at the AimTech -- I like the idea of a "see through" scope mount that also has some ability to keep the barrel cool. But, IMHO, it just looks goofy on top of a rifle. It's just too tall.

That's why I went with a home-modified Ranch Products mount...

Choosing between the three in the OP, I'd go with the UltiMAK. Low profile, (miniscule) cooling vents. It doesn't look out of place, IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts