Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help figuring out what's wrong with my Mini.

It's a 581-series. No scope. Using steel Promag 20-round magazines.
Last time I was at the range I got 3 jams of the same type out of 20 rounds.

It's the same every time, the fired case gets caught by the bolt as the bolt returns to chamber a new round after firing.
The case mouth gets stuck right above the chamber, causing severe damage to the case mouth and the gun to jam.

Whats with this? Theres no scope on it, so the brass isn't hitting anything and dropping back down either.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Type 2 malfunction. Usually not mag related, more likely an extractor/ejector issue. It possibly could be the mag, first thing I would do is follow Crowcifier's suggestion.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
What's the ammo you are using? How many rounds have been put through the rifle? Are you using any buffers? It sounds like the op rod is not going all the way to the rear and ejecting the empty. kwg

·
Registered
268 Posts
As already mentioned, get some Ruger factory magazines. If after you do that, the problem still persists, read thru this thread, but before you replace any parts, I would recommend just sending the gun back to Ruger and let them fix it.

Do your jams look like this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never tried the 5-rounder that came with the gun,
that's a good idea. I'm gonna do that this weekend if I get the opportunity.

The gun has gone through about 2000 rounds, so it should be more than properly broken in.

Yes, the jam looks exactly like that.

Ammunition is Federal American Eagle, 55grs FMJ.

Thanks for all your help so far!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I use Promags in my Mini's and I'm not having any issues. Are you the first owner or did you get it pre owned? It sounds like underpowered ammo, a gas bushing that is too small or the ejector has been modified. kwg

·
large member
2,089 Posts
wish i could help you. my mini has 600+ rounds w/o a single prob.

i only use fac mags & brass ammo however. if my mini had this prob, it would go back or i would sell it. try sticking to fac. mags and see if it helps.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Check the extractor - it should not be loose. If you can move it at all easily, it must be replaced. We had this happen on a new 581. Replaced it and the spring, and it gobbled 300 rounds of Barnaul with no problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm the first owner and the gun was NIB when I purchased it in 07.

I have had some jams earlier when it wore a scope,
as some brass would hit the scope and fall down into the action again, causing a jam. Not the same kind of jamming I am experiencing now.

I think I need to dit out the manual and do a complete teardown of the rifle and see if anything is stuck, loose or otherwise wrong. I'm thinking extractor, as many of you have pointed out.

Thanks again guys.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Yeah I'm the first owner and the gun was NIB when I purchased it in 07.

I have had some jams earlier when it wore a scope,
as some brass would hit the scope and fall down into the action again, causing a jam. Not the same kind of jamming I am experiencing now.

I think I need to dit out the manual and do a complete teardown of the rifle and see if anything is stuck, loose or otherwise wrong. I'm thinking extractor, as many of you have pointed out.
M
Thanks again guys.
Probably the extractor is your issue or th plunger. Can you move the extractor with your fingers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am able to move the extractor some with my fingers, yes.
Using a pen for leverage it moves easily.

Edit: When the bolt is halfway back, I can adjust the extractor up/down about 1mm as well with my finger, easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For what it's worth, mine was having FTE issues some time back, I returned it to Ruger and they replaced the gas block...works like new now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is probably your problem right here. Get a factory Ruger magazine (Cheapest here), the aftermarket ones always have trouble in the Minis. If not, I would say maybe an extractor/ejector problem.
X2

At $20 for a twenty rounder, there's no reason to use aftermarket mags IMO.
The Mini-14 has always been known to be fussy about it's mag.
It used to be a big issue "back in the day" when Ruger did not make high-capacity mags available to the public, but no longer. Get Ruger mags...

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Have you ever field stripped and cleaned your weapon? 2000 rnds and 3 yrs. is a long time to go without a bath, especially if using corrosive ammo. Just wondering?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use the cheapest aftermarket mags and russian ammo and these things never happen to me... Maybe you guys should do what I do? lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts