Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the site and I really wanna know what is a all around better to purchase. I want a Ak-47 or a mini-14. So I guess I can ask some questions and see what everyone thinks. Better accuracy 200 yards, more reliable, less expensive ammo and mags. Thank you

As of right now I am leaning more toward the AK side

·
Registered
220 Posts
Better accuracy 200 yards
Mini-14, hands down. AK with open sights is a close combat weapon; as in optimal range according to the Russians was 80 meters. Shooting skills will vary by each person, but it was not designed to shoot distance. The Mini, on the other hand, does quite well and is much easier to put a good scope on. The AK was not designed for scoped shooting, though some have been adapted to that.

more reliable
AK-47, any day of the week. The AK will take abuse, neglect, harsh conditions and untrained users without a hiccup in operations.

less expensive ammo
AK-47. You can get 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo for about $250. .223 is more expensive. If you can find it right now, .223 was running $225 for 500 rounds.

less expensive mags
AK-47. 30-rd Mil-spec are running about $20 right now. 20-rd Ruger mags for the Mini-14 are about $40.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Accuracy, the Mini has the edge but the AK has the rest. Ammo. availability might be another consideration if it is a SHTF type of weapon. The Mini is chambered for the 5.56mm and .223 Remington, 5.56mm is what our military uses. The AK rnd 7.62x39mm is usually 124 grn. where the .223 is commonly 55 grn., a big difference when shooting block or heavy barriers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I was also checking out a saigia. Does anyone know how they hold up?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love both!

Thanks for the feedback. I was also checking out a saigia. Does anyone know how they hold up?
I have multiple Mini-14's and an assortment of AK-47's and AK-74's. They are all great weapons and would recommend any one of the three.

The AK-47 is accurate enough within 100 yards. Good for home and farm yard protection. Very dependable shoots 7.62 X 39 ammo.

The AK-74 identical to the 47 only a smaller bullet 5.45 X 39 vs 7.62 X 39. I would say slightly more accurate than the 47 but equally dependable. At todays ammo prices this is the cheapest of the three to shoot.

The new Mini-14 with the heavy barrel would be the most accurate of the three but would be the most expensive to shoot. This is also a very reliable weapon you can count on in any situation.

At todays gun prices the three would be comparable in cost to purchase. If you shop around you could probably get a Mini-14 $100 - $150 cheaper than the AK's. Ak's are starting to dry-up because of kit availability.

Good luck you will be happy with any of the three. :D:):lol:

Bye, Mr. GB

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
cheaper 7.62x39mm like wolf, bear, etc is pretty much non existent at the moment and no tellin when we'll see more? I talked with an importer friend of mine and he says the way things are right now its darn near impossible to get a form 6 approved and no importers are willing to put the money up when there's a good chance a form 6 will get denied.

Id say forget the AK for now unless you want a big paper weight? If you want to actually get out and shoot get a mini-14 atleast theres plenty of relatively inexpensive domestic .223 ammo around still.

·
Registered
254 Posts
J-Arms, decide what you want it for, go to a gun shop and pick up both the Saiga and the Mini-14 and decide what feels good for you.
Both are great guns, I have both, the Mini is .223 and shoots flatter than the Saiga 7.62x39 but the Saiga hits harder as it has more kinetic energy than the .223/5.56.
I have sighted my Saiga to be 3" high at 100yds which makes it dead on at 200yds and 5.5" low at 250yds which is good enough for me.
The biggest problems people have is when they start converting both guns to mimic the AR and add all sorts of stuff to them, if thats the look you want then buy an AR, keep the Mini and Saiga standard and they will serve you a life time.
If you like the Mini feel but want the grunt of the AK then buy the Mini-30.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The targets I see when I go to our local rifle range indicate to me the following:

assault rifles are assault rifles, they don't tend to shoot well at 100 yards; they are satisfactory at 50 yards. Some dudes can't hit the paper at 100 yards but seem to hit all over the target at 50. I have not seen MOA accuracy with any AK-47, Saiga, or SKS. However, they are reliable and will certainly get the job done for what they were designed for: close in combat. Hope this helps you make a decision. Kiwigunner is right on the money. I own a Mini Thirty and it is a good alternative to the Russian assault rifles. The only fly in the ointment is that I can't seem to find good aftermarket magazines for the mini thirty. The factory 5-round mags work very well, though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm an big mini fan. I have 3, so I say go with the AK. :blink: There are lots of reasons I say this. Most have been posted above.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Either, really.

Consider that at least for now you can obtain normal capacity Mini 14 factory mags, and that for the time being 7.62x39 ammo is hard to find aside from corrosive-primer Yugo (not a dealbreaker, but a factor nonetheless). If you're thinking about a 5.45x39 AK, then factor in obtaining a good supply of ammo for it now (while it's affordable), plus mags which are more expensive than for its bigger brother. Do not buy a Century 5.45x39 weapon without first confirming that the barrel is in fact built for the 5.45 and not the 5.56. Six months ago I would have leaned in favor of the AK. Now? The Mini 14!

Another consideration for some is that the Mini in its stock configuration does not look as "evil" as the AK. It will not attract as much attention in some circumstances. The same is true of an unmodified Saiga. That may or may not matter. If you want a pistol grip and folding stock for the Mini 14, there are several good ones to choose from for well under $100 each, Butler Creek being one of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love my Mini, but my Saigas are pretty cool. Get one in 308 and convert it to pistol grip and you will have one heck of a good rifle. They also come in 223. I got that one to serve as a backup in case my Mini breaks. My Saigas, especially the 308, shoot as good as my accurized mini. I think the 308 Saiga is a real sleeper. Where else can you get a NEW 308 semi auto for less than $700 bucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can afford it, get both. If not, weigh the options and advantages/disadvantages of each. I for one love my Mini-14, but I own a dozen or so AK's.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I loved my mini before I sold it due to lack of reasonable parts. I also love my AK, and it will do better than I can at 200-300 yards (It's proven that in the presence of witnesses). I saw one like it in a shop this weekend going for 1200 bucks because it was one one of the higher-end units made by a now defunct manufacturer. My AK and SKS's are head and shoulders above the reliability of that mini I had.

Ammo for either is about sixes for price and availability, depending on market trends. I stocked-up over the years when it was cheap, but wish I hadn't taken it for granted. I would have practiced less and kept more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AK. I have a nice Krebs KTR-03 and an Arsenal SLR-106. The just feel like they were built for combat. My mini-14 is a quite a bit more accurate, but I would trust a design thats seen plenty of combat over one that hasn't. Yet I wouldn't feel underarmed using either.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yep. The Garand action hasn't seen action. And 7.62x39 has an "unlimited" source, since American police and military units use it...

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I have a Mini but for anti-personell use only the AK or Saiga is the choice.
if you have any hunting in mind the Mini is the choice. Minis do respond well to accuracy mods also - scope mounting being of primary importance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Garand hasn't seen action???

Yep. The Garand action hasn't seen action. And 7.62x39 has an "unlimited" source, since American police and military units use it...
I believe you may be mistaken. The M-1 Garand has been arguably called the weapon that won world war II. The Mini-thirty action closely resembles the Garand action, as a matter of fact, the M-14 was a design derivative of the M-1 Garand. I agree that the AK-47 was a brilliant design, but I wouldn't throw mud at one of the most effective small arms ever designed and used in a world war. I know of no American police departments or military units that are using the AK-47, AK-74, etc... please enlighten me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I believe you may be mistaken. The M-1 Garand has been arguably called the weapon that won world war II. The Mini-thirty action closely resembles the Garand action, as a matter of fact, the M-14 was a design derivative of the M-1 Garand. I agree that the AK-47 was a brilliant design, but I wouldn't throw mud at one of the most effective small arms ever designed and used in a world war. I know of no American police departments or military units that are using the AK-47, AK-74, etc... please enlighten me.
i think he is being sarcastic.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts