Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried 3 different types of ammo and several brands of magazines. The gun other than a little grease is clean enough to eat off of. The problem I keep encountering is that the bolt carrier will not completely close after loading the round (closes without a round with no problems). It appears that the extractor is not making it onto the rim of the bullet and therefore not allowing the bolt to close completely. All parts are new or like new (no knicks or burrs) and I'm still unable to fire more than a single round at a time. Any help or insight would be appreciated as I've run out of ideas and would like to avoid buying a new bolt carrier and bolt. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
maybe the headspace is too tight....

If the barrel is original, do the #'s on the bolt and trunnion match?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
MadMax,

Welcome to the PU! We've got a good group of folks here. Enjoy your stay.

At first, I thought you were joking...I mean really, an "AK jamming"?! That's just crazy-talk. :blink:

Anyway, we'll all see what we can do to help.

FAA is on the right track...we need some details.

Cheers! ;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
With the limited informaton you posted I would check the chamber. See if it needs to be cleaned, check the bolt, ejector, extractor and the bolt carrier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

AK is a Romanian made AK 74 rifle and all numbers are matching. With the purchase of the rifle I received 7 magazines. 5 were east german with the wood laminate finish. 1 was the original steel magazine and the last was a polymer magazine and I am not sure on the manufacturer because it has no markings.

Ammo I have used; Wolf Performance Ammunition steel case, Barnaul rifle cartridge steel case, and two types of military surplus one czech and one russian made both steel case. Rifle was cleaned before firing the first time and cleaned after each range session and sometimes extra in between when I get bored. Hope that helps as I ran 30 rounds through it again today and still the same problem.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Take the bolt apart and clean and inspect. Make sure the mags are actually fitting up into the rifle properly.
Have you cleaned the chamber with a tight oiled brush? A bore brush is too small.
You may want to check over here The AK Files Forums - powered by vBulletin or look for some links from the sight.
Here's another sight AK-47 - AR15.COM

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a Romy WASR in 5.45X39 and it had a defective extractor. I returned it to gunstore and bought a Bulgy AK74 which are higher quality.

·
AK's Vs. AR's :P
9 Posts
Romanian Ak74 was the bane of 2010 for me! grrr.. i took my brothers gun out to the range to try it out since he wasnt home BIG MISTAKE! because the POS decided to not fire 3 rnds.. and so i took one of the expended rnds and put it back in ! stupid me..

Well it clicked... nothing happend.. i racked the handle.. nothing... it was stuck in the barrel primer pushed in but nothing happened.. .. i got scared for a minute thinking it might go off.. tried the broken shell extractor nothing! my theory it the copper bullet got bent.. then the case expanded and it was a dud but a stuck hard dud!

we tried everything to get it out... which was dangerous.. no smith wanted to work on it.. couldnt take it to the gunshow to sell..

it was my gun.. my brother made me buy it! and he kept all the magz and ammo.. still dont talk to him after that debacle.

so i sell it for about 300 dollars worth of AK magazines and parts for that pos romanian AK i had traded for a sks D model

lets just say romanian is like a Curse word to me :(

·
Registered
34,486 Posts
Was the ammo surplus or modern Russian production? Not that it should matter, as both types are supposed to be GTG.

To confirm the sequence of events ... by "decided to not fire 3 rnds," does that mean failed to fire? And by "put it back in," do you mean put the round back into the magazine?

I've been tempted by the WASR2 but have read they're not as reliable as the 7.62x39 WASRs. If true, I guess it could be caliber-related, I don't know.

·
9 Posts
Was the ammo surplus or modern Russian production? Not that it should matter, as both types are supposed to be GTG.

To confirm the sequence of events ... by "decided to not fire 3 rnds," does that mean failed to fire? And by "put it back in," do you mean put the round back into the magazine?

I've been tempted by the WASR2 but have read they're not as reliable as the 7.62x39 WASRs. If true, I guess it could be caliber-related, I don't know.
it was that green laquered ammo looked pretty new but i would have to ask my bro. when the first rnd didnt fire when i pressed the trigger i racked the bolt and did that 2 more times after each failure to fire. the 4th one worked and the ones after it but i didnt want to waste the fallen bullets

they werent dirty or damaged either.

i keep any unfired rnds in a jar now almost up to 30 rnds. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
it was that green laquered ammo looked pretty new but i would have to ask my bro. when the first rnd didnt fire when i pressed the trigger i racked the bolt and did that 2 more times after each failure to fire. the 4th one worked and the ones after it but i didnt want to waste the fallen bullets

they werent dirty or damaged either.

i keep any unfired rnds in a jar now almost up to 30 rnds. :wacko:
Post some pictures of the ammo and show the primers.

·
9 Posts
I would if i still had it, sold it for a few chinese drums 30-40 rounders and some other stuff. had to have th dealer come out to my car since i couldnt take it inside.

His problem now ( wish i could have taken pics )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts