Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a new SAR 1 Romanian AK47 7.62x39 cal rifle and it is great. I traded my old Beretta 92 for it and haven't looked back. SAR's sell for about $300 thru the Shot gun news. I also have a mini 14, .222 rem (.222) cal. The AK has a scope mount on the left side and I plan to mount a 4x scope. The size and weight of both is comparable. I have fired about 800 rds thru the AK with no malfunctions or problems. I also bought 3 - 30 rd mags and all work fine. New AK 30 rd mags cost from $10 to $20 and are much more sturdy than the mini 14 mags. AK parts are easily found. The SAR2 is 5.45x39 cal and the SAR3 is 5.56 Nato cal. Hope to get an SAR2 soon. 7.62x39 ammo sells for $3/20 rds around here. After comparing the mini to the AK I say the AK's outperform the Mini at a lower cost.
Just my 2 cents. Anyone want to buy my Mini 14?
Have a nice day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Th AK is a good rifle, and is the gun that has won more revolutions than Springfield and Colt combined!. It is probably better than the Ruger when in new condition, with better features and good cycling. But the stamped receiver shows its age fast, while the Ruger's receiver is practically indestructible. All the technical differences aside, there is one factor I like about the Ruger Mini-14:

it is made in America.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Mini-14, and AK variants in both 7.62x39 and .223cal.

I have had a consistant jamming problem with the Mini-14, which probably can be traced to the USA brand magazines I have. While .223 AK mags are less common (and thus more expensive) than standard 7.62 AK mags, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than equivlent Ruger factory mags (or even the better non-factory mags from PMI or wherever).

I'm pretty much on the verge of selling my Mini and investing the proceeds in .223 AK mags, if that says anything about the Mini-14 versus the .223 AK.

I can't really include the 7.62x39 AK in this discussion, since that is another caliber altogether, and I have no experience whatsoever with the Mini-30. All I can say on that subject is that I can't see paying upwards of $4-500 when an AK can be had for as little as $3-400, and an SKS half that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you mean "stamped" shows its age fast? And the Ruger is indestructible?? I love the Mini 14, but any decent arsenal produced AK is superior in durability which I am sure is not being contested here. I have had several AK'S including, factory Hungarian, Poly tech. I dont think that there is any type of wear issue with the receiver. I mean what are you talking, 50,000 rounds or more??? You would have the mini 14 on its third barrel by the time you started showing wear on the AK. The advantage of the Mini 14 is this over the AK, better tolerances for increased accuracy (generally true). A superior standard sighting system with improved sight radius. A shooting position which is more ergonomic. Generally, AK triggers arent bad. But the AK is a different animal than a mini, all things equal why not just own both. I own alot of different varieties of rifle and they all have good points and bad points. But going back to original post, I still dont get your point, it is a mini 14 forum and you seem to be implying that the AK is superior to the mini. If a better rifle is what you seek, why not shop for a DSA FAL and be done with it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Originally posted by @Sep 29 2000, 06:24 AM
I recently acquired a new SAR 1 Romanian AK47 7.62x39 cal rifle and it is great. I traded my old Beretta 92 for it and haven't looked back. SAR's sell for about 0 thru the Shot gun news. I also have a mini 14, .222 rem (.222) cal. The AK has a scope mount on the left side and I plan to mount a 4x scope. The size and weight of both is comparable. I have fired about 800 rds thru the AK with no malfunctions or problems. I also bought 3 - 30 rd mags and all work fine. New AK 30 rd mags cost from to and are much more sturdy than the mini 14 mags. AK parts are easily found. The SAR2 is 5.45x39 cal and the SAR3 is 5.56 Nato cal. Hope to get an SAR2 soon. 7.62x39 ammo sells for /20 rds around here. After comparing the mini to the AK I say the AK's outperform the Mini at a lower cost.
Just my 2 cents. Anyone want to buy my Mini 14?
Have a nice day.
Trolling a bit eh?

Dennis Jenkins

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
so you DO have a .222 mini-14? how much do you want out of it?

The SAR's are low quality, period. By saying that I don't mean they don't work, they work, but quality is low. If one need a AK it ought to be a real AK, not a Century parts gun. Mak-90 and Arsenal are both good.

The SAR side mount can become loose. The Ruger RR ring mount won't. You gat what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Originally posted by @Sep 29 2000, 09:24 AM
Th AK is a good rifle, and is the gun that has won more revolutions than Springfield and Colt combined!.
yeah but springfeild and colt won the ones that count. :usa:

as for the mini vs ak... thats like comparing my M-14 to my 10/22. ill keep my Mini 14 over the AK and ill take my M-14 over the FAL. not that im biased or anything. :D

besides it looks like your trying to pick a fight when all you have to do is put the mini up in the sales board. :sniper:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I used to have a AK-47 clone but gave it up so I wouldn't have to reg it with
Corruptfornia's DOJ Gestapo. At least the mini isn't considered an "Assault"
rifle YET. I still have my mini, but admit it's been around 2yrs since I've
shot it. I DO miss shooting the AK. It only once jammed and that was due
to a bogus mag.
:beer: :rolleyes: :beer:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
woops, didn't see that part. B)

Who dig this thread up?? :angry:

B)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used to have a AK-47 clone but gave it up so I wouldn't have to reg it with
Corruptfornia's DOJ Gestapo. At least the mini isn't considered an "Assault"
rifle YET.
Wow, you really struck a nerve here. lol.
Never register your rifles. That's telling the government that it's ok to take your rights away.

Never give up the mini-14. That is the last holdout on freedom we have. It is our right to own that rifle, to defend ourselves. One reason why it hasn't been banned in California is that the gun grabbers are nitwits and think that it performs differently because it doesn't look as scary to them as an AK. Don't give in to them. I'm keeping my mini forever. It's unmodified (I like it that way), so there is no reason why I should have to give it up, no matter where I am. And, I never will.

In fact, I'm looking to buy a mini-14 without any paperwork...no ffl, no forms, no nothing...so that the government doesn't know about it. If they try to disarm me, I'm going to put up a fight for what I believe in.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the report on your AK. I'm sending this thread to the AK board.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by Hooah!88@Jun 20 2005, 05:14 AM
Never register your rifles. That's telling the government that it's ok to take your rights away.

Never give up the mini-14. That is the last holdout on freedom we have. It is our right to own that rifle, to defend ourselves. One reason why it hasn't been banned in California is that the gun grabbers are nitwits and think that it performs differently because it doesn't look as scary to them as an AK. Don't give in to them. I'm keeping my mini forever. It's unmodified (I like it that way), so there is no reason why I should have to give it up, no matter where I am. And, I never will.

In fact, I'm looking to buy a mini-14 without any paperwork...no ffl, no forms, no nothing...so that the government doesn't know about it. If they try to disarm me, I'm going to put up a fight for what I believe in.

am I the only one that wonders why the hell you just told us that?

even given the ineptitude of the government in many things, it can still find that, trace your IP and find out who you are and arrest you for trying to illegally buy a gun.

I respect where your coming from, and even agree to an extent, but you gotta remember... this has happened before. in china. the people were disarmed- so they got new weapons. we're on the brink of the civilian space age- it can't be that hard for us to come up with a weapon to replace the gun, should we lose it.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Originally posted by Santafeur+Jun 21 2005, 05:07 AM-->
QUOTE (Santafeur @ Jun 21 2005, 05:07 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Hooah!88
@Jun 20 2005, 05:14 AM

am I the only one that wonders why the hell you just told us that?

even given the ineptitude of the government in many things, it can still find that, trace your IP and find out who you are and arrest you for trying to illegally buy a gun.

I respect where your coming from, and even agree to an extent, but you gotta remember... this has happened before. in china. the people were disarmed- so they got new weapons. we're on the brink of the civilian space age- it can't be that hard for us to come up with a weapon to replace the gun, should we lose it. [/b][/quote]
You wouldn't have to have any paperwork if you were to buy it from another individual. Like if your neighbor decides to sell a firearm, and you tell him you'll take it. No paperwork there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a MAK-90 in a Dragunov-style stock and a Ruger Mini Ranch in a Butler Creek folding stock. I like both of them. The great advantage of the AK is the cheap, durable, reliable mags available everywhere. My Chinese AK has a perfect trigger and is well made. The Ruger has a mediocre trigger and factory 20 round mags are now on the market for about three times as much as the 30 round AK mags. There are pros and cons to the .223 versus the 7.62 by 39. I think they are both good rounds. The AK is much cheaper than the Ruger MIni. Suit yourself--they are both fine rifles. If I had to defend myself, I would use the MAK-90 because of the superior trigger and much heavier round.

Drakejake

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by Drakejake@Jun 27 2005, 08:54 AM
If I had to defend myself, I would use the MAK-90 because of the superior trigger and much heavier round.
And for me, I would be grabbing my modified SAR-1 over my soon to be mine GB that I will be sending the money for this Friday.

For the same reasons you just gave.

Mine has had a two-stage trigger that breaks at around 3 1/2 to 4 pounds...doesn't get any better than that! :D

Now having said that, I am getting my Ruger GB because I think it's also a DAMN fine rifle and I feel the need to have something in .223 in case I run out of 7.62x39. :beer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts