Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Norinco hunter this is the first actual AK-47 style rifle. However i cant find much on the gun or any problems people may have had with it cant even find the problem i am having with regular AK-47s online so ill try here.

So i put the thirty round mag i bought online is a great condition military grade 1 surplus mag so now today i was shooting with some buddys after the first 2 quick shots the magazine fell out of the gun.

Was like ok maybe i hit the release somehow tried again put the mag in tried to pull it back out without pushing the release it was seated nice and tight in it couldn't pull it out.

So i shot 3 more rounds mags falls to the ground again the only way i could keep it in the gun was to actually use the magazine as a forward grip.

Is this normal with some ak-47's or do i have a weak spring in the magazine catch.

·
Registered
34,558 Posts
It's similar to a Saiga, but should accept regular magazines without modification.

It could be the magazine catch spring. The mag release is different from other AKs, but if the mag is locking in, that shouldn't matter.

But before you do anything with that, you should try at least one other magazine, preferably of several types, even.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Original Chinese AKs that have not been messed with by some one like century are one of the most reliable AKs out there. Certainly sounds like the latch is not holding the rear of the mag. If you are truly using comboc military steel mags all should be good on that level. But to be sure try another mag. It is possible that previous owner may have altered the catch to work with some other magazine. I would remove the top cover, bolt-bolt carrier assembly and with the magazine empty to seat it and see what is going on with it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Probably An Easy Fun Fix ...

Try many different mags. The mag must be rocked in like on a M14 and FN LAR. The front end of the mags gets jammed up into place, then the mag is tilted or rocked back to click into the mag catch/release latch.

Perhaps the mag is not completely latching in. A hint on this would be if the mag appears to be very tight and quiet with no wiggle or rattle. When racked in or tilted forward, the thing will make a distinct "click".

The easy fun fix if all the mags are not clicking in is to start filing on the rifle mag catch tip. Go slow here. Just remove a little bit of metal at a time, then try the mags again. When just right, the "click" will happen.

I do not know if US Code 922R applies with your AK sporter. Using a 30 rd mag may or may not be legal. I am not sure about your situation. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried my 2 tapco mags from my c39 same thing happened couple shots fired and right to the ground they went.

I have a 10 round and a 30 that are the originals for the norinco but catch on the magazines all looked identical to the tapcos and the military grade one I bought

I didn't use them I'll try them and see if the same happens but it will be a while before I go shooting again

·
Registered
34,558 Posts
I've tried my 2 tapco mags from my c39 same thing happened couple shots fired and right to the ground they went.
Bummer. It does sound like something's probably wrong with the rifle rather than mags. But have you tried more than one steel military surplus magazine? I would. The Tapcos, while they work in most AKs, aren't standard.

If you do end up having to alter the rifle, the magazine catch system is different from other AKs, so the fix will likely be different. Joining AK Files may be your best bet for finding reliable info, but if you're already an Arfcom member you might try the AK section there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ak hunter

I have an AK Hunter model by Norinco with milled receiver..factory 386..same factory as Poly Tech guns..ser# 1025xx..never had any problems with any AK mags falling out..your gun either has had Bubba work on the mag catch ( maybe to fit a drum mag) or he spring is weak...good luck!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts