Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously there are things you can do to improve a Mini's accuracy, like adding a strut, adding a stiffer top barrel brace/cover, new barrel, bedding, etc.

1. But can the AK 47/74 be made more accurate through these or other methods?

2. Is the standard Mini/Ranch as or more accurate than a good quality but standard AK?

3. Mini's sometimes have issues with their firing pins, but is the same true with AK's, and is it as difficult to find or install a firing pin in an AK as a Mini, and is it cheaper?

4. How do they both really compare as far as reliability?

5. Does the Mini jam easily if it gets debris inside it, or is it like the AK, which is much less likely to jam because of debris than an AR?

6. What about overall toughness?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'll give it a go.

Sons of Guns did up an AK sniper supposed 1000 yard rifle. I did not watch the episode. Just about any rifle can be made more accurate, how much money do you want to spend?

2. Is the standard Mini/Ranch as or more accurate than a good quality but standard AK?

In my experience the Mini is a bit more accurate out of the box then the average AK.

3. Mini's sometimes have issues with their firing pins, but is the same true with AK's, and is it as difficult to find or install a firing pin in an AK as a Mini, and is it cheaper?

I have never seen an AK with a broken firing pin, not saying they don't break them. AK firing pins are pretty easy to get and you can change them yourself.

They are both very reliable.

5. Does the Mini jam easily if it gets debris inside it, or is it like the AK, which is much less likely to jam because of debris than an AR?

I have never purposely done it but my Mini has gotten sand, dirt and bits of sagebrush in the action and it has not jambed. The Garand action has been known to run with all kinds of debris in the action.

I'll give that up to the AK. The Mini's rear sight is not that tough.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bought my first ar 15 in 1975 and my first mini 14 shortly after since then I have run the guantlet when ak's and sks rifles became avalible I jumped on the band wagon and got over it in short order I have owned h&k , m1 garand , m1 carbines , sprinfield m1a and a ton of other stuff that drifts in and out of style . the bottom line is other than a couple of bolt action hunting rifles the only rifles in my safe are rifles on the ar platform and
a mini 14. those are the two types of rifles I have found to be the least problematic and what I trust. the ak is way over hyped and in my opinion best served in third world countries.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On the toughness front, rust/corrosion is a closely related issue. I have never heard of a stainless steel AK. With the new (581 series), the stainless models cost insignificantly more than the blued models. Therefore +1 for the Mini!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have seen AK's that were shot with corrosive ammo, not cleaned and set in the corner of a damp barn for a couple months. Rusted up and the action froze shut. Only way to unstuck the action was to kick on the charging handle with a boot heal. After it was freed up, 4 30 round mags were run through them and they were set in the corner for another month. Same story on the next go around. You could not kill them from lack of cleaning or lubing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have seen AK's that were shot with corrosive ammo, not cleaned and set in the corner of a damp barn for a couple months. Rusted up and the action froze shut. Only way to unstuck the action was to kick on the charging handle with a boot heal. After it was freed up, 4 30 round mags were run through them and they were set in the corner for another month. Same story on the next go around. You could not kill them from lack of cleaning or lubing.
Yeah, but they couldnt hit the barn door when fired :D

I agree with the posts above! Made for America AKs are WAY over hyped..... Most are parts franken guns that had their receiver cop sawed and replaced by a cheap stamping and the new ones (Russian included) are not milspec using thinner 1mm stampings, smaller pins, and different trigger groups.....
Everyone wants to equate that pawnshop or gunshow bought AK to a true military AK but the truth is they are worlds apart and cannot be judged the same at all!
On average the 581 M-30 is a much, much better weapon than any AK you will find :usa:

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts

An AK can be made accurate, How much money you got?

An AK is designed to be fully automatic and to put lots of bullets down range. A mini-14 should have the edge on this question.

AK's don't have firing pin problems. AKs are much easier to work on and RARELY ever have to be messed with.

AK's win hands down.

AK's are designed with more loose tolerances than the mini. Hence it can take more crap in the gun and still fire. AK would win this contest.

AK's win this.

In my opinion the only thing the Mini would win over the AK is accuracy.

Do I like AK's? No I think they are ugly and I personally would take the Mini over a AK.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thats OK, I was happy to pay more for the better rifle and Im happy to pay more for the better ammo :D

Seriously.... I barely consider the Mini-30 a 7.62x39 carbine. I think of it as a American made 30 cal Carbine that shoots what it shoots.... Its still cheaper than 308 or 30-30 and Im happy with that!
I have never even remotely considered steel cased, berdan primed ammo so it is a non issue to me :usa:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thats OK, I was happy to pay more for the better rifle and Im happy to pay more for the better ammo :D

Seriously.... I barely consider the Mini-30 a 7.62x39 carbine. I think of it as a American made 30 cal Carbine that shoots what it shoots.... Its still cheaper than 308 or 30-30 and Im happy with that!
I have never even remotely considered steel cased, berdan primed ammo so it is a non issue to me :usa:
Dont get me wrong I love minis and american made but I have been so frustrated by the mini not shooting cheap ammo and lack of good magazines.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think Silver bear is cheap enough. Wolf may be the cheapest, but not shooting it isnt a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Well for that Sons of Guns a 1000 yard AK is called a Dragonov I believe.
Doesn't the Dragonv shoot the 7.62x54R, that round could be a 1000 yard round. Somebody told me it was an AK 7.62x39, but like I said I did not watch the show.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Doesn't the Dragonv shoot the 7.62x54R, that round could be a 1000 yard round. Somebody told me it was an AK 7.62x39, but like I said I did not watch the show.
Correct, the Dragunov uses the 7.62x54r cartridge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an AK , SKS and a Mini 30 and the Mini 30 might be the most accurate but the SKS is a real close second but the AK is the most fun and can be made quite accurate with a good CQB Holographic sight.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
the AK's are more reliable, if you consider "ammo sensitivity" as part of reliability.

lets just say "mini30 is super reliable when you feel it good ammo". Meanwhile, "AR is super reliable if you keep it clean" is also a true statement, no?....:lol:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
the AK's are more reliable, if you consider "ammo sensitivity" as part of reliability.

lets just say "mini30 is super reliable when you feel it good ammo". Meanwhile, "AR is super reliable if you keep it clean" is also a true statement, no?....:lol:
Well AR's don't have to be all that clean but the do like to run wet. I have seen a few that have been shot a thousand rounds or so and only lubed not cleaned and they were still running with no malfunctions other then one bad magizine that had got dropped on its feed lips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts