Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to share this with folks who may understand what I mean... I think my wife and some of my buddies (who are not shooting enthusiasts) will not understand or may think I am nuts.

Today, for the first time in ten years, I had some range time with an AR15. And on my way home, I cannot wipe a silly grin off my face. It was awesome. Over the years, sometimes when I talked about how much I loved the M16 and how many other weapons are inferior, I wondered if some of it was selective memory. You know what I mean, like how we can remember how pretty and funny that girl who got away was, but forget her bad habits? I would say I like this feature or that because "it reminded me of the M16," or words to that effect. For example, if a weapon required lots of tools to take down, it was bad because I could take apart an M16 in a minute with an unfired round, right?!

Well I can say my memories were accurate. I guess I just prefer the M16 over all the other rifles I have shot over the years, including the venerable M1, M14, AK and others.

Why? Everything. It fits me. I love the shooting position. I love the logical controls. I love the smell of the internals when the direct gas system warms up the CLP on them. Of course, I love the accuracy. Even though this girl is a "shorty" with a shorter sight radius than the 20-inchers I was used to, she didn't disappoint. Unlike my Mini 14, I wasn't chasing a wandering zero all around the bullseye, even when she got hot. Nice, tight groups and she can handle a little heat and still do her job.

I even love cleaning this platform. I'm honestly looking forward to having a cold one and scrubbing her down later today.

There's nothing like the "real thing." Can anybody relate? :cool:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Resisted getting one for years after the service, had sks, ak, mini, etc….but when I finally couldn’t resist the price on one and took it out to shoot it was like meeting an old friend.
I recently picked up a side charging 7.62x39 model, it isn’t the same, needing an Allen wrench to take down, but the original platform is everything you mention. The x39 variant is staying though.
Just a well-designed, good shooting rifle.
I still think of building an old A1 style with the carry handle and triangle hand guards.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Nice part of the multical ar platform many different
calibers same ergonomics.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
yes, I can relate although don't own an AR. I can see the advantages of. if I got one would be in a different chambering though. I'm envious I'm unable to get to any range excepting my back yard, live near town so don't get to fire my hi-powers.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I keep wondering how your getting on. Glad to here the VA let you
escape alive..hope you get healed up completely soonest.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine
1 - 7 of 7 Posts