Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1953 Russian SKS and although it looks to be in great shape, let's face it the rifle is 56 years old. I am familiar with firearms, but I have never owned one that is this old.

So my question here is, how stout are these? Would you all consider this to be a rifle that could be counted on in a self-defense situation (house gun?) Will these be safe to shoot for some time down the road?

AWD

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
how stout are these? very
Would you all consider this to be a rifle that could be counted on in a self-defense situation (house gun?) yes
Will these be safe to shoot for some time down the road? yes
Unless there is an obvious problem with your SKS, it should be as reliable 50 years from now as it was 50 years ago; and more reliable than many newer firearms.

·
Registered
371 Posts
IMO the Russain was the best made SKS ever. I have had many chinese models and they were just fine, but the build quality of the 1950 Russian I had was by far superior. That thing will last longer than you will if maintained properly and treated with some level of responsibility. I would recommend getting a survival kit for it just in case. Don't install it, just have it on hand if ever needed. The only issue I ever had with any of my SKS was aftermarket hi-cap mags. In a nutshell, not very dependable compared to original box magazines. For excellent dependability and a little better magazine capacity, try to get your hands on one of the original 20 round box magazines and some stripper clips. With a little practice, you can get pretty fast with the stripper clips. As far as using that rifle for home defense, I wouldn't worry about the rifle itself. I would worry about the fact that the 7.62x39 likes to keep on keeping on, especially through paneling and sheetrock. We don't want to accidentally shoot a family member, neighbor, or our favorite TV. Maybe some Russian hollow points would reduce the velocity enough through walls to be a little less lethal than ball ammo. Other than that, I would definitely depend on that weapon if it was in decent condition. Also, it's heavy enough to beat the snot out of a perp with it should you run out of ammo before the authorities get there, lol. Using the bayonet probably wouldn't look too good in front of a jury:wacko:

Those russian holowpoints will nearly disintegrate a watermelon at 75 feet.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I guess I shouldnt keep my mosin nagant with me everywhere I go since its going on 72 years old now. you know its in great condition all functions work flawlessly and its super accurate Ive put coyotes down at nearly 200 yards with the irons but its just getting too damn old for it to be a safe and reliable rifle anymore I suppose I should whip out the hack saw and cut her into pieces and throw her away ya knows since shes just so darn old.. I guess I should do the same with my grand dads shotgun too since its about 100 years old being that old theres just no way it could be safe and reliable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cleanliness is next to Godliness, right? Keep it clean, keep it oiled and keep an eye out for any deteriorating parts. With proper care, it should last at least another 50 years, if not longer.

I still occasionally shoot my great great grandfather's 1884 Colt Lightning rifle. After 125 years, there's not a lot of finish left, but I suspect that in another hundred years, it'll still be a shooter (second amendment willing!)

And my great great great grandfather's 1863 Springfield is still shootable, but I just can't tough myself up enough to face the ginormous kick of 50-some odd grains of BP behind a .58 cal ball.

Your SKS is just getting broken in :p My Chinese /26\ is a '59 model and I have no reservations at all of going nuts with it at the range.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I shouldnt keep my mosin nagant with me everywhere I go since its going on 72 years old now. you know its in great condition all functions work flawlessly and its super accurate Ive put coyotes down at nearly 200 yards with the irons but its just getting too damn old for it to be a safe and reliable rifle anymore I suppose I should whip out the hack saw and cut her into pieces and throw her away ya knows since shes just so darn old.. I guess I should do the same with my grand dads shotgun too since its about 100 years old being that old theres just no way it could be safe and reliable.
Uh, go right ahead...

Sounds like my questions struck a nerve.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With average use and proper care a SKS will last about eleventy-bazillion years. Just like a Timex it just keeps on ticking. Just be sure to clean well if you shoot corrosive ammo. Yugo surplus is the only corrosive ammo around. Shoot Wolf or any Barnual (Brown, Silver or Golden) or Golden Tiger. These are all non-corrsive. F of Rs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a 54 Tula SKS that goes to the range at least every month, a MN 27' ex-dragoon Tula that tags along and a MN 44 Izzy carbine that brings up the rear, take care of them and they'll outlast your kids kids :lol: BTW I wouldn't be afraid to fire any of these weapons at any time, age is really not a consideration. The condition of the guns would be a more important point.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
AWD
Let's just put it this way, your SKS will still be going strong for your grandkids. IOW it will outlast a typical AR-15/M-16/M-4 "plastic fantastic" and do it in harsher conditions, too.
Just for future referance "old" to a firearm means it predates the Spanish-Americian war.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
AWD
Let's just put it this way, your SKS will still be going strong for your grandkids. IOW it will outlast a typical AR-15/M-16/M-4 "plastic fantastic" and do it in harsher conditions, too.
Just for future referance "old" to a firearm means it predates the Spanish-Americian war.
well put tailgunner

G

·
well since I am oldest here,I will explain to you young whippersnappers that my gun is not as old as the trapdoor but its a 1903 with 1914 barrel.I shoot it with lead bullets and it keeps them in one inch at 100 yds.I have a perfect barrel and the gun is low numbered so I dont shoot full loads.but I know it could as all the bad ones are gone.
I have a 1873 french military revolver and shoot 45 acp with lead bullets out of it.so that should be an indication to the poster that the guns will last.I used to shoot a win 73 until some one stole it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
most good guns made of steel and walnut will last many many lifetimes with proper care.

Aluminum, pot metal, plastic guns will not last as long.

I have a 1940's or early 50's era Springfield 87A .22lr that still shoots pretty good and is reliable! Cost a whopping $50 at a gunshow :D steel and wood, no plastic, and only the trigger guard is alloy...keep em clean and lubed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
a 53 russkie will work fine...

just make sure the firing pin floats freely in the bolt....shake it...it should rattle nicely...

and you should check for neutral / negative trigger engagement and get it fixed if so

what is trigger engagement you ask??? here: http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-25.htm

have I fixed my 5 sks's? no....

·
Registered
34 Posts
1874 French Gras that is all #'s matching that still shoots great with blackpowder and cast bullets, I agree with Bounce those about the only 2 things that you need to worry about with an SKS, my 55 tula shoots a couple hundred rounds every couple months. As long as I use stripper clips instead of loading single rounds into the fixed mag it shoots without a hiccup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cut some slack

naw just ignorant questions are funny:lol::lol:
No such thing as ignorant questions, just ignorant answers. Not everyone is into firearms as some of us. And when people come to forums looking for help from other enthusiasts and get jerk answers they loose interest and go elsewhere. So maybe next time instead of looking at it as an oppertunity to inflate your ego maybe give an honest answer, or better yet pass on making a childish comment.

·
Registered
524 Posts
JJAGUNS:
"Roger that".

Can an SKS be considered about as reliable as an "AK clone"?
Whether it can be, or not, here is what a coworker told me about being with Special Forces in Desert Storm.

My only question was how he compared old Russian-designed combat rifles with those from the US.

His only answer: "Our guns jammed, so we picked up AKs".

·
Registered
220 Posts
YUP, I agree with the majority here, You need not worry about that Tula made SKS Have it checked out to be on the safe side but they will bury you and your children, that sks will still be rocking!

RON

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.