Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ZORT member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an aftermarket mag release while waiting for the tactical release that 45K20E4 is making. It is not an ASI release.

It looks pretty good . When I went to install the spring it would not install. I had to dremel out a little more to get the spring in. After I installed it I grabbed some of the mag I have. I have somr Ruger and aftermarket mags. I am only having issues with the factory 10 round. The body of the mag is a tad wider and the mag won't insert. It hits on the release. The Pro Mag 10 round mag inserts fine. The other larger capacity mags I have work fine. I don't have any factory mags larger than 10 rounds.

So I am not sure if I will keep it installed or not. It is an ebay bought release. Not the ones with the paddle on them. It cost $14.

Moral of this story. Aftermarket is not always best. It might work, but not as intended. Oh well I guess.

·
ZORT member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I'm confused. I put the factory release in and the ractory mag won't seat completely. The other mags that were catching on the aftermarket release don't catch as bad with the factory release.

With the factory mag not fitting I am thinking that the back tab needs a hair removed to seat properly. That might make the aftermarket release work also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the factory mags worked fine with the stock release, I would go back to the original one. Don't mess up your factory mags. Wait for your new one or Contact Lee @ the armsroom. I have some of his extended mag releases and they work very well. They come with a slave pin and installation is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think I'd be calling Ruger C/S.

·
ZORT member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume the 10 round mag I have is a factory mag. It is stamped mini 14 on the floor plate. It is a metal plate. I wish I had another one to compare it to. I have a newer 5 round factory mag and the followers look alike. I don't have a reason to think it's not a factory mag, but I don't know for sure.

The locking tab on the mag is longer than other mags I have. It is hitting the stop in the magwell before the release catches and locks it into place. I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The factory mags should say Ruger on them as well. Mine say Ruger mini 14 on the floor plate and Sturm Ruger on the side of the mag. Sounds like yours might not be factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.