Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what aftermarket stocks fit the series 180 Mini 14 - .223.
Looking for conventional replacement stock. No folders.
Hogue mentions, all after series 180.
I am curious about Ramline, no mention of use with series 180.
Any HELP greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi cigar_man,
This is how my stock conversion went...

I bought a Butler Creek replacement at a gun show. The dealer reminded me to use the steel mounting bracket from the original stock. Sorry I don't know the part number for the stock, but it was about $50. It's a black synthetic with a "rubbery" feel.

Mounting the stock was easy, but suddenly my groups went from about 4" to 3 feet! At the same time, I removed the muzzle brake, because California has new laws against flash suppressors, but does not describe the difference between the two. So, off it came just to be sure and stay out of trouble.

Now, I couldn't believe the stock caused the problem, but a friend suggested glass bedding the stock. I glass bed it, the first time I've ever done one. That was the main part of the problem! And it wasn't that hard to do after all. So, if this happens to you, don't be as hardheaded as me.

Kalifornia Citizen

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
cigar man, sorry I can't help ya with the stock, but I bet someone on this forum will. Kalifornia, your butler creek stock sounds like my hogue, only it made no diff when I installed it. I am going to bed my stock. How much did yours improve?

·
Registered
427 Posts
There's more to the stock story, cajungeo,

I bought the mini-14 legally in every respect in Kalifornia with a folding stock, muzzle brake, and hi-cap magazines. Then, on January 1, 2001, by edict of the Socilaists Party of Kalifornia, I would have been a felon for posession of a legally owned rifle, if it were not converted or registered as an ASSault weapon!

Pardon me if I don't sound pissed off enough!

So I relaced the Ramline folding stock with a Butler Creek synthetic. Never did I imagine that a stock could cause accuracy problems like this! My groups went from 4 inches at 50 yards to 3 feet at 100 yards! It took awhile before my friend convinced me it needed glass bedding. Groups are back to normal, maybe a little better. I have to redo the bedding, it was my first and it didn't go quite right. I posted more details on another thread today.

More to come...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts