Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that are decent...
and DON'T use pistol magazines

anything out there or is the only thing on the market with a 20 plus round magazine a 9mm conversion AR?

Hawaii says I can't have pistol mags over 10 rounds... even if I don't own a pistol that works with them

(which puts the Just right carbine and 33 round glock mags out of the picture)

·
American realist
316 Posts
i wish ruger would reintroduce the old 44 carbines that were so popular & maybe add a 9mm & 38/357 version...

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish ruger would reintroduce the old 44 carbines that were so popular & maybe add a 9mm & 38/357 version...
They did have the PC9 and PC4
which was a pretty slick little rig - used P series pistol mags
(which I do own) but they discontinued it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was going to suggest the Marlin Camp Carbine, but alas that also uses pistol mags. That's the big draw of these is the interchangeability with pistol stuff, but that makes it tough for what you're going for.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Just had a multi-page thread/discussion/debate on my hot rod forum about this caribine thing. it started with a question about the Hipoint "carbine" that shoots a 9 mil. We never agreed on what a carbine is exactly. My definition is a shorter barrel(than a rilfle) rifle that fires a rifle or modified(short) rifle round. The pistol bullets have traditionally or from military/LE uses been shot in mp's and SMK's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
so what's wrong with 10 rd mags, anyway? Get the HiPoint 9mm carbine, man. For the money, it's totally unbeatable. Get a used one, from a private party, for $150, with the laser, and testfire it before buying, and you can't go wrong.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,098 Posts
Love my CX4.

But it uses pistol mags.... (Then again, you can get it with 10 round mags...)

And the 33 rounders go snick when you put them into place just fine! :)

Some photos for your enjoyment....

Love the Vortex Strikefire optic, this is the AR high mount, has red and green dots, and the 2x doubler actually works. This carbine as setup like this, is dead nuts accurate with cheap WWB ammo at 100 yards.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,098 Posts
BTW, some folks talk of the crappy trigger on this CX4, but with a fine nail file, and some careful time on the sear/hammer, it's like butter with a smooth, crisp break, and very little gritty feel.

If you can't get past that, there are steel hammers with a precision sear angle out there from Sierra Poppa, and I have the metal guide rod setup from SP, so no chance this rifle will break from normal use. (The stock one's don't break from use, they do break however if you try and pull the action out without cocking the hammer...)

One cool detail of the CX4 is you can change it from right to left hand use, and it will eject brass out the other side slick as snot, just flip a few things around, and there you go.

It's simple blow back, so it runs and runs and runs. And did I mention it's accurate? (I've supprised a few friends with it being so accurate, embarassed a few very pricey AR's actually inside of 100 yards....)

One hole wonder with cheap winchester white box from WalMart. Put some really good ammo, and it's sub MOA easy.

I've been tempted to put a 3x9x40 on there a few times, and really see from a rest if I can get this carbine to shoot some bet winning groups. IT's just that accurate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like either you use 10 round pistol mags or pay the long dollar for a 9mm AR
In the 1980's I had a COlt in 9mm and was suprised how much faster that rifle would shoot compared to a Ruger 10/22. Up to that point I thoight my trigger finger was the slow part of the equasion

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have read that the Hipoint carbine Mags DON'T work in their crappy pistols... and that ProMag makes a 15 round Hipoint carbine mag.

So that may actually be an option for me, since by the time I figure I can afford a 9mm AR - they will probably be banned again. :(

or maybe I should forget about a 9mm carbine and just buy as much ammo as I can find for the guns that I already own...

that is prolly the best Idea. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts