Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a rifle off a buddy of mine next week. He has a Colt Le6920, a Smith and Wesson,and a Bushmaster. All are carbines with 16" barrels. He wants a grand for the Colt and a hundred or so less for the others. The frontrunner for me is the Colt. Is it that much better than the others? Do you think thats a decent deal? All have a couple hundred rounds through them so the are used. I see on the web $1200 to $1700 for a new colt, if you can find one. Help ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I have 2 bushmasters that run well BUT I'd probably opt for the Colt because it will probably have the highest resale value...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thats what Im thinking too. Picking the Colt up tomorrow. Now would you guys mod it out or leave it plain jane? I could easily put another $1500 on it with magpul stuff and a Aimpoint. Or would you guys save the money for another rifle? So many decisions.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd just get a Magpul MOE stock, grip, and handguard and call it a day. I have an Aimpoint on one of my builds, nice sight, lasts forever.

Jim

·
Registered
27,229 Posts
I have an Armalite carbine that I keep plain jane. It was my first. I have an Ruger SR556 that I have an EOTech 512 on with an iron sight witness. I added a Magpul angled foregrip to it. I love it; it is my main (556) rifle. Then I have a Bushmaster 24" varmiter with a Bushnell elite 10x mil dot on. I added a magpul PRS stock and it shoots wonderful. I keep them simple. I see guys put a lot of crap on their carbines and they look like something out of a sci-fi movie. Technology will fail you at the worst of times!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey thats what I'm thinking too. Picking the Colt up tomorrow. Now would you guys mod it out or leave it plain Jane? I could easily put another $1500 on it with magpul stuff and a Aimpoint. Or would you guys save the money for another rifle? So many decisions.
I have tried many mods....almost every optic...I have 7 AR's. While I like aimpoints and Acogs my (Saber Defense has the Aimpoint with a Surefire light) it gets a bit heavy. I keep going back to my plain iron sight AR. Remember once you start adding stuff the weight goes up quite a bit. I prefer to keep the gun as light as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked it up tonight! I think Ill add a Magpul ACS stock and new grip. It already has a nice rail forend. I just need to get some rail covers. Ill post some pics tomorrow. I havent had a Colt since I sold my H-bar three years ago. Man I forgot how much I like Ar's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some upgrades tonight. Yes or no to the black and dark earth rail covers? They are the only thing thats kinda bugging me.:D 4-8807C6F6-1803111-800.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys! Now I'm saving up for that Aimpoint. :D I have a redi-mag from a previous build I might end up trying that again too. Only trouble is that rifle is starting to get hefty. It might be overkill with the redi mag.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
That is a nice looking rifle, and I especially like the rail system and low profile sights, as compared to the old school carry handle sights.

What kind of scope did you mount on the rifle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Kevin. Its just a cheapo sightmark I pulled off my sks. Hopefully an Aimpoint in the near future.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Hey Kevin. Its just a cheapo sightmark I pulled off my sks. Hopefully an Aimpoint in the near future.:cool:
Thank you.

I am looking for some kind of close range scope for my FN/FAL. A buddy of mine keeps telling my how great the eotech is, but the $400+ price range of the eotech is a little difficult to swallow.

My ar-15 has an el cheapo tasco red dot scope that is about 13 or 14 years old.

·
Registered
27,229 Posts
I have an EOTech 512 on my Ruger SR556 and absolutely love it! Yes, it was about $420, but it works wonderfully. I went shooting with a guy I work with and he loved it too, so he got one for his M1A and is very pleased with it. I should mention that we are both in our mid 50's and have bi-focals, which present certain difficulties with iron sight usage. The 512 helps to eradicate that handicap.

I have an L1A1 and can still shoot full sized sillouetts with it reliablly with open sights out to 500 yards. I am not sure that I would want a holographic sight on a 308 capable of putiing rounds that far down range. My buddy loves his on the M1A though! The only drawback I see to them is that they take batteries. My Ruger has flip up sights that work as a co-witness right through the 512 should something go wrong.

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
You will never regret buying a Colt.
Dave

·
Registered
218 Posts
the rifle in the picture is a colt 6940 not a 6920 . if you got it for 1000 dollars you got a good deal.
I have a bit more in mine . I do like the xtm covers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive never tossed down 10 $100's so fast! Im thrilled with the deal considering I thought I was getting a 6920 not a 6940! Now I need to get to the range. Ive been on vacation, will be going to the range this week. Im still tossing around getting an Aimpoint..... :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts