Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 183 series blued Mini 14 and have a question about the adjustable gas blocks available from Accuracy systems.

First of all I have never had any sort of problems with my mini – owed it since about 1983 and as long as I do my part and feed it decent ammo, out of Ruger magazines it does its job. However I am tired of chasing brass all over the range…

My question is: do these adjustable gas blocks work as advertized and are the settings reliable once set? This is not the gun I would go for in a SHTF (I live in a pretty built up area and my 1911A1 would be just fine) but I do like my firearms to work the same each and every time I go to shoot them.

Which version would be recommended? I am not in the habit of changing out parts for the sake of spending money, but don’t mind putting down the coin if there is a clear benefit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Let me premise this by saying that I don't own an adjustable gas block. I seriously considered buying one, but couldn't bring myself to do business with ASI due to their markup on commercially available parts and their refusal to acknowledge those who produce the parts they sell at 30% above retail price.

In response to your question... If you're going to have to remove the gas block anyway, why not just buy a set of Gas Port Bushings from Walkenbear or GunDoc? You'd set yourself back all of $30, including a set of 3 bushings (I'd recommend .045", .050", and .055", YMMV), a new Allen wrench, and a new set of screws for the gas block.

I've been running a .050" bushing from Walkenbear for over 1,000 rounds. I shoot only commercial .223 and 5.56 (XM193), with some US milsurp (contract overrun) 5.56 thrown in. Never had an issue with cycling. I'd venture to bet you could run a .040" or .045" bushing and have no problems with US-produced commercial ammo.

Another thing I've heard about the adjustable gas blocks is that they have trouble holding a setting. Unless you apply some LocTite. Then you'll basically have your adjustable block tuned for one load, then have to reapply some LocTite if you decide to readjust later. More hassle than it's worth, IMO.

I prefer to do a bit of experimenting with bushings, find the smallest ID that's 100% reliable, and leave it be. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.